Please help me find the best headphones for movie soundtracks
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 23
I have the AKG K550s and I love how they've performed so far for this purpose (I listen to exactly what you listen to at work because it's non-invasive yet energetic). Great soundstage, deep bass, but not skull rattling amounts of it. I had two pairs of Ultrasones before settling on these AKGs, the HFI-580 and the DJ1 Pro. I didn't like the fit/comfort of either that much for more than an hour, I swear they both left a dent in the top of my head. The DJ1 Pros sounded the better of the two, with less muddy bass and wider soundstage. Still, the AKGs bested them both by a good amount.

I run them unamped, but I'm building an O2 amp (slowly).

The AKGs have dipped below $200 before, I bought them full price at $299 from Best Buy (no penalty on returns there is a bonus).

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 23
bose quietcomfort 15
Quote:
i'm surprised that no one has asked some basic questions such as what is your source and do you have an amp (if so, which)? what other gear do you have or have you had (it's useful to fill out your profile with at least your location, gear present and past, and musical interests), have you heard things that you like or dislike?
i've owned several ultrasones and have heard a number of others. they are a somewhat polarizing brand both sonically - some find their 'S logic' annoying - as well as wrt their customer service.
more so than anything. i've also owned the beyer 770s, and it's not a phone i'd give the highest recommendation to.

i'd suggest looking into the under appreciated (as most head-fiers don't seem to be familiar with it) Pioneer SE-A1000. it's not terribly expensive, nor is it terribly demanding in terms of how it's driven. it's a very comfortable phone both physically and sonically, with a relaxed and spacious sound. if you do some searches you may turn up some useful impressions.

Hello I updated my profile a little. I will manly be plugging my headphones into my PC and phone for on the go. I don't have a portable amp yet but I'm looking at maybe getting the Fiio E11. I have next to no experience with headphones. I own a crappy pair of $50 skullcandy's. Been putting up with them for a long time and one day i tried on bose quietcomfort 15 and thought it sounded amazing. Since then I've been doing a lot of research. I ordered the 780's a few days ago but if I don't like them I'll just return them. I hear I need to burn them in for at least 50 hours before making a final decision.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
I have the AKG K550s and I love how they've performed so far for this purpose (I listen to exactly what you listen to at work because it's non-invasive yet energetic). Great soundstage, deep bass, but not skull rattling amounts of it. I had two pairs of Ultrasones before settling on these AKGs, the HFI-580 and the DJ1 Pro. I didn't like the fit/comfort of either that much for more than an hour, I swear they both left a dent in the top of my head. The DJ1 Pros sounded the better of the two, with less muddy bass and wider soundstage. Still, the AKGs bested them both by a good amount.

I run them unamped, but I'm building an O2 amp (slowly).

The AKGs have dipped below $200 before, I bought them full price at $299 from Best Buy (no penalty on returns there is a bonus).

Hello, thanks for the suggestion. I did order the 780's but if I don't like them I'm thinking of returning them and just saving up for or something thats in the price range of the AKG K550s or denon d2000.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #19 of 23
Ah nice! Well hopefully you do like them.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 23
Hi man I think the best headphones are Marshall - have You ever tried it? Check it man :).
I found the comparison with SONY here http://www.apricola.com/comparison/show/320 .It looks, everybody like the Marshall. It´s not one of the cheapest, but it´s one of the best headphones ever (in my point of view ofcourse)

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #21 of 23
Tell us how this sounds on your new headphones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7I0WYKXHg&feature=player_detailpage#t=352s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back