Please help me find the best headphones for movie soundtracks
Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

KenshinNGB

New Head-Fier
Hello I've been looking around on this forum a lot recently and really like the community here so I decided to make an account and ask this here. I have been looking to get some decent headphones for a while now and still can't decide on what i should get. I'm looking for something that would best suit my taste in music and for watching movies. The kind of music I listen to the most is movie soundtracks, (like The Dark Knight, Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings, The Last Samurai) which is what I would be using my headphones for the most. Movies would be the next biggest thing I would use them for. I would like to get the best possible sound quality for my budget which is $120-$200. When I first started my research I read a lot of good reviews on amazon about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 but after reading a lot of comments on here It seems like there is better headphones out there for my money. I'm now hearing that the Ultrasone HFI-780 are very good and are going for about $150 on amazon right now but I also hear they are made more for electronic music so I'm not sure if that would be good for the kind of music I listen to. I don't want open back headphones and would like minimal sound leakage. I also hear Denon's D2000 are very good but they are a little too expensive for me. My problem is I have no experience in trying out these headphones myself so I thought I would ask those who do. Has anyone tried the HFI-780's with movie soundtracks, if so how do they sound? What headphones would you recommend I get and why?

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 23
I own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's and have had them for a few years now. They're still one of the best sounding headphones to my ears. I use them mainly for gaming and movies but they're also amazing for music. I listen to movie/game soundtracks as well and they definitely do a great job. You won't be disappointed at all! I would buy them again just to have as a backup in case my pair that I have now crap out on me haha.

I also own the Denon D2000...I've only had them for a day...but they also sound amazing. But if that's too expensive than the Ultrasone's are definitely a good deal! 

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
I own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's and have had them for a few years now. They're still one of the best sounding headphones to my ears. I use them mainly for gaming and movies but they're also amazing for music. I listen to movie/game soundtracks as well and they definitely do a great job. You won't be disappointed at all! I would buy them again just to have as a backup in case my pair that I have now crap out on me haha.

I also own the Denon D2000...I've only had them for a day...but they also sound amazing. But if that's too expensive than the Ultrasone's are definitely a good deal! 

Thanks for the reply, thats what I needed to hear! I'll probably order the 780's within the next couple of weeks.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
Thanks, I have seen the DT770 mentioned on here but haven't looked into them as much. I'll take a closer look a them. How do they sound without an amp?

Not great but when plugged into my iPod/laptop, they get loud enough though. With a good amplifier (zero ohm source) they sound very very good. The bass steals the show, but the detail and resolution are still there.

I have the 250 ohm version. There is also an 80ohm version but I have never tried it.

I think you should search for a closed back with a good soundstage as the monitor types (m50, etc) sound too closed and don't have great instrument separation for soundtracks and they have a poor sense of space in the recording.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, thats what I needed to hear! I'll probably order the 780's within the next couple of weeks.

Your welcome. I love them to death. The only downside to them are they aren't the most comfy headphones. They clamp a bit too hard but there are modifications that people have done to make them more comfy. Personally, they don't bother me that much but they can get annoying after 2 hours. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 23
I'm going to stick with the 780's. I do hear a lot of good things from the DT770 though. I wish I had the money for the D2000 but its a $150 difference from the 780's, I don't have that kind of money right now but perhaps someday.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 23
I'm going to stick with the 780's. I do hear a lot of good things from the DT770 though. I wish I had the money for the D2000 but its a $150 difference from the 780's, I don't have that kind of money right now but perhaps someday.

What's the concern with leakage?

I ask because I would otherwise suggest the Ultrasone HFI-2400 to you, based on your desires. I haven't tried the HFI-780, but the biggest red-flag I'm seeing is those pleather pads. More of a practical comfort consideration. The 2400 have satisfying low-end, and if S-LOGIC works for your head's shape, you get a nice soundstage. Very satisfying with movies and games, perhaps a bit less-so with music.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
What's the concern with leakage?
I ask because I would otherwise suggest the Ultrasone HFI-2400 to you, based on your desires. I haven't tried the HFI-780, but the biggest red-flag I'm seeing is those pleather pads. More of a practical comfort consideration. The 2400 have satisfying low-end, and if S-LOGIC works for your head's shape, you get a nice soundstage. Very satisfying with movies and games, perhaps a bit less-so with music.

Well this being my first headphones over $50 I wanted it to be a good all around for any situation. Like being in a car for a long time with other people or if someone else is playing loud music or watching a loud movie. If I got open back cans I feel like they would only be good if I was alone. So I guess I'm just trying to think ahead even though I would be using them alone most of the time. Maybe I'll get a separate pair of headphones in the future for when I'm just by myself.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 23
Well this being my first headphones over $50 I wanted it to be a good all around for any situation. Like being in a car for a long time with other people or if someone else is playing loud music or watching a loud movie. If I got open back cans I feel like they would only be good if I was alone. So I guess I'm just trying to think ahead even though I would be using them alone most of the time. Maybe I'll get a separate pair of headphones in the future for when I'm just by myself.

The problem with that is that most of the best headphones are open-back. Especially at the lower price points. Since it sounds like you're using the headphones at home more than on the go, get something that serves that, and get a pair of IEMs or buds or something for when you're out; break the money apart more reasonably. :xf_eek:

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
Pro 2900s or  T1s if you ever expand your budget for this. Most low-end Ultrasones would fit the bill.

-Daniel

It would be ways off for me to get something as expensive as those haha.
Quote:
The problem with that is that most of the best headphones are open-back. Especially at the lower price points. Since it sounds like you're using the headphones at home more than on the go, get something that serves that, and get a pair of IEMs or buds or something for when you're out; break the money apart more reasonably.
redface.gif

Thanks for the advice. I'll think about everything more before I buy.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 23
i'm surprised that no one has asked some basic questions such as what is your source and do you have an amp (if so, which)? what other gear do you have or have you had (it's useful to fill out your profile with at least your location, gear present and past, and musical interests), have you heard things that you like or dislike?
i've owned several ultrasones and have heard a number of others. they are a somewhat polarizing brand both sonically - some find their 'S logic' annoying - as well as wrt their customer service.
more so than anything. i've also owned the beyer 770s, and it's not a phone i'd give the highest recommendation to.

i'd suggest looking into the under appreciated (as most head-fiers don't seem to be familiar with it) Pioneer SE-A1000. it's not terribly expensive, nor is it terribly demanding in terms of how it's driven. it's a very comfortable phone both physically and sonically, with a relaxed and spacious sound. if you do some searches you may turn up some useful impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back