Please help me decide my first headphone purchase!
May 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Death3man

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I would just like to start off by saying that I am in no way an experienced audiophile. I love music, and have enjoyed it through many ways such as IEM's and speakers. I have come to the decision however that I would like to have headphones rather than IEM's for me on the go. I would prefer around the ear rather than on ear headphones as I just enjoy that style more so. I love listening to any music really, from things such as pop, rap, hiphop, rock, and electronic genres. I also enjoy other styles, not sure exactly what they are classified under, but I enjoy music from say the BeeGees, or Beatles. I love melodious songs from say Bruce Springsteen, or even the great songs from Neil Young. Basically I enjoy any music! 

I am new to the world of headphones, and this would perhaps be my first purchase regarding them. But I was looking for quite a fun sounding headphone rather than analytical and plain headphone.

Now I have been doing quite a lot of research regarding this, and I have come up with a few options. 

-Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's
-Logitech UE6000
-Ultrasone HFI 780
-Audio Technica WS99

These are the headphones that are all roughly around the same price range and I have sparked some interest for me. I am looking for a decent amount of bass rumble and impact, but also well presented mids and highs as well. Now I understand that these headphones all have their own flaws, the COP's can tend to have bloated bass whilst on the 4th port setting, or the UE6000 becomes muddy and bloated when in active mode also having some defective driver issues, also with the Ultrasone's sometimes piercing highs. 

But in all honesty because this will be my first real pair of headphones I am sure that it will not matter to much. The other qualities I would like the headphones to have is comfort, portability, and isolation. I will be using these outdoors at times but not 24/7. So I wouldn't mind a bit of isolation. I will also require these headphones to have a bit more portability, as I will be using them occassionally on the go, so perhaps nothing extremely chunky! Now comfort is key, but perhaps not as essential. If however the comfort is unbearable hindering my ability to actually listen to the headphones then perhaps then it is essential. 

For now I will be using them straight out of an iPod or through my PC, however if the headphones require amping, I will purchase an amp, I was looking into the C&C BH portable amplifier. But for now I do not find the need to own one because I do not own any headphones.

If there is anything else that perhaps comes into play then please suggest them to me! I would love to hear about different options as well!

Thanks to all those helping me out!

May 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 11
What's your budget?

May 8, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Hello!

I am guessing your budget is under $200-$250. So far, I haven't heard any defective driver in UE6000 but I can be wrong. If you wanted higher isolation than just passive canceling, these will be good! When the Active mode is ON, to me, the only problem is the narrowed soundstage. Nothing else. It's a very good V-Shape headphone with big bass yet controlled. However, if you do not like recessed mids, maybe these are not for you.

Not sure about other headphones that you listed above as I have not get my hands on yet. I tried the ATH-WS70 but it's again a V-Shape sounding headphone. Feel free to take a look at the AKG K167!

I hope this help!
Billson :)

May 8, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 11
Yea you guessed it, it is around $200-$250, but if it is extremely worth it, I will save up extra for it!
Cheers for that Billson, the thing is I don't really know what you guys say when you say V-Shaped, so sorry, but yea recessed mids should be fine with me.
Does the active mode raise the amount of bass? Is it bassy without it?
Cheers

May 8, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Yea you guessed it, it is around $200-$250, but if it is extremely worth it, I will save up extra for it!
Cheers for that Billson, the thing is I don't really know what you guys say when you say V-Shaped, so sorry, but yea recessed mids should be fine with me.

Does the active mode raise the amount of bass? Is it bassy without it?

Cheers

XD either mode are bassy!

The term "V-Shape" means that, the bass and the highs "volume" are louder than the mids. In other words, recessed mids, big bass and highs.

Hope this help!
Billson :)

May 8, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 11
my vote goes to the ue6000....or if u wan more freedom n dun wanna buy batteries..ue9000.
fun sound, good kick in the bass, clear mids. 

May 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
my vote goes to the ue6000....or if u wan more freedom n dun wanna buy batteries..ue9000.
fun sound, good kick in the bass, clear mids. 

How good is the bass in comparison to the COP's? Just as much quantity? Is it as good as the 780's? Better?
I think I will stick with the UE6000 for now as they are slighlty cheaper, but thanks for the thought :)

Quote:
I'm afraid, the ATH-WS99 is too new for it :/

Billson

Yea I had a feeling about that, perhaps any comparisons between any of the four? Just would like to hear a bit more about others experiences and what they would recommend.

May 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 11
That's it!
I think after so discussion with others I have managed to narrow it down to a few suggestions, although they may differ from the original post.
- UE6000 (still)
- Audio Technica WS99 (still)
- Beyer DT770 AE

Those are the 3 am I am most interested in! Which has the best bass!!!! I already know that majority of them do every other area well (mids/highs) but not the best, which I am not too fussed on.
I just care about the BASS!!! I am looking for impact, and rumble.

Haha,
Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back