Please help! I'm new and I dont know what I'm doing!
Mar 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 24
I'm going to agree with some of the previous comments and suggest you get the headphones you want and worry about adding a dac/amp later if you feel the need. 

Also to clarify, you wouldn't need to buy the soundcard, dac, and amp.  The soudcard serves the same function as an external dac.  I think the recommendation above for the ASUS xonar soundcard is a good option.  If at a later time you want to feed the headphones more power you can always add an amp later.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 24
Guys, I want to thank you for all your help. You are all seriously the best! Thanks so much. I know I banned this but I'm thinking about getting the dt990 250 ohm pros over the q701 and getting the sound blaster Zx card. Thanks for everything. You've answered so many questions and taught me A LOT

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
I know I banned this but I'm thinking about getting the dt990 250 ohm pros over the q701 and getting the sound blaster Zx card.

The 701 will be easier to drive than the DT990, I would also say from perusing these forums for years it's one of the most returned headphones. Without proper amping they're extremely shrill.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:
I appreciate you yelling that at me because I totally didn't listen the first time.

He wasn't yelling at you. If he'd been yelling at you it would have sounded like this!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 24
Reading the battleship comparison, it seems like the akgs are really picky about how you amp them. I went with the dt880/600 and was surprised that even unamped, they ran rather well. they definitely get a lot better with one tho so I would suggest the 990s. I think spec wise the 701s might be easier to drive but they don't sound right unless you pair them correctly.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 24
As far as I know, surround sound audio is a digitally enhanced effect. I don't think amp/dac combos work like that, they improve the sound quality, not distort it (which I believe is what Dolby Headphones do)?

Someone with more knowledge enlighten us.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
If I went with an external amp/ dac would I still get simulated surround sound audio like Dolby Headphone?

No.  Most external DAC/AMPs or stacks do NOT use simulated surround.  To get that, you would need something along the lines of the Astro Mixamp (The MLE guide lists several). A regular headphone dac/amp would just clean and improve the digital to analog conversion and amplify the signal.

Lately in the MLE guide, he is moving toward headphones that are harder to drive (AKG Anniversary and HE400 and up), so they are adding an amp to the chain (after the device that simulates surround sound).  However!  The light at the end of your tunnel is that you are using a PC, and not a console.  So, you can get a good sound card that simulates surround sound, AND has a built in headphone amp, and you'd be set.  You wouldn't then have to worry about external Dacs and Amps, or stacks.  You may peruse Nameless' sound card guide to find what would be best for you.

Let me beg you.  Please please PLEASE, do NOT get the A40 headset.  At least not the 2013 (as this is the one with which I have experience).  The Audio Technica ATH AD700 is SO MUCH BETTER (than the A40 2013).  I made a mistake in getting the A40, after I already used a mixamp and AD700.  It was a bad call.  (I wanted a mic!  Modmic orders always seemed to keep having problems and the Zalman clip on I had was horrid.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back