Please Help! grado advice
Jul 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #35 of 38
i listen to alternative rocks (foo fighters, nirvana, silverchair, sigur ros, palcebo, mew, temple of the dog, etc) which sounds great through my sr60i.  i really love the sound of guitar distortion :D

sorry for my poor english

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #37 of 38
If you decide to go Grado, be aware of the impact that the pads have on the sound.  I recently received my SR-225i's and was dissapointed at first by the sound - what happened to the bass?  The increased soundstage was amazing, but again, where is my bass!?!?!?  My current headphones in heavy rotation are my SR-80i's.

For grins, I swapped out the pads (the SR-80i's have flat "comfy" pads, the SR-225i's have bowls) and immediately I thought "ahhh, there's the bass!!!".  And when I put the bowls on the 80i's, I thought "nice soundstage".

There are still tonal differences between the models keeping all else the same (pads, source, etc.), but not as obvious as when just switching out the pads.

As I see it, I have 2 headphones in 1 - for rock and electronic stuff, I'll use my comfies to enhance the bass; for jazz, ambient, and classical, I'll use the stock bowls.

As you go up the Grado line, they are all bowls.  If you like bass, you may want to order a pair of comfies to go with them so you can experiment.  I'm glad I had my 80i's alread so I could experiment otherwise the the 225i's would have gone back in the box and returned.

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #38 of 38
I like the bowls on my MS-Pros but I'll have to try the flats sometime just for kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back