Please help a complete novice choose headphones for classical music
Aug 27, 2018 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

samanthaj1820

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm hoping to get some help/advice on what headphones to buy.

I am currently looking at B&O Play H2 On-Ear, 1More Triple Driver and Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM. I can get the first two from Amazon for less than £100 which is ideal as far as budget is concerned but would consider forking out more for the ATs (£148). I'm also a bit wary of the 1Mores, as the cable is non-detachable and I'm not the most careful person where wires and cables are concerned.

I would mostly be using the headphones with my HTC 10 (sometimes my MacBook or a cheap-ish Packard Bell desktop) and would mostly be using them during my daily commute, as well as in the library.

I would be listening to classical music almost all of the time, mostly large-scale orchestral works with some chamber, solo and opera thrown in the mix too.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 18
I listen to mainly large orchestral and opera on vinyl. My favorite for a long time were Sennheiser 598. Now running HD800 but that’s obviously at a much higher budget. 598 works well without a headphone amp too. A lot of people recommend HD600/650 but I wasn’t crazy about them. Beyerdynamics DT990(?) is another common recommendation that sounds nice but for me the small improvement wasn’t worth the cost difference between those and the 598. I decided to stay lowfi until I saved enough to go big instead of languishing in midfi sidegrades

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 18
The 1More TDOE is a significant upgrade over the 598CS IMO. Another you might consider is the Meze 99 Classics. It is terrific as well. I would personally put it and the 1More on about equal footing, maybe a slight preference for the 1More. I listen to large-scale orchestral and opera (primarily Wagner). FWIW.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 18
The 1More TDOE is a significant upgrade over the 598CS IMO. Another you might consider is the Meze 99 Classics. It is terrific as well. I would personally put it and the 1More on about equal footing, maybe a slight preference for the 1More. I listen to large-scale orchestral and opera (primarily Wagner). FWIW.

Hm, those look great but are a bit out of my price range. Do you happen to have any thought on B&O H6 (1st gen)? (just found a really good deal on them)

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 18
Hi, thanks for responding! Yeah, open is out unfortunately! There is a closed back version of the Sennheiser 598s I've seen on Amazon but I'm not sure how they compare to the open back ones.

They're not very good. You might be better off with IEMs.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Hm, those look great but are a bit out of my price range. Do you happen to have any thought on B&O H6 (1st gen)? (just found a really good deal on them)
I like the H6. There are deals right now as B&O are shutting down production of all wired headphones (bad decision, IMO). If you want one, best to do it now.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 18

I have the H6 (1st gen.) and like them a lot for classical. They are also the most comfortable of the headphones that I own (see signature below). As serman005 says, B&O discontinued its wired headphones in April. If you can get them at a good price, go for it.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #12 of 18
The thing about the H6 now that it's disco'd is that the pads have a proprietary bayonet mount, so you have limited options for replacements when they wear out. (They're lovely headphones, though.)

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 18
Hi everyone. Thanks for all your help - I'm going to try the B&O H6, then if I don't like them I'll save a bit more for the 1More TDOE.
The thing about the H6 now that it's disco'd is that the pads have a proprietary bayonet mount, so you have limited options for replacements when they wear out. (They're lovely headphones, though.)

Duly noted. I'll cross that bridge if/when I come to it. My dad's replaced a lot of headphone pads before so I'm sure he'll be able to deal with it.

Thanks everyone!

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 18
I'd love to hear what you think of them. Maybe do a brief follow-up post once you've had a chance to use them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back