Pleasantly surprised....Aiwa EX-EV501R PCDP
Jan 15, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #31 of 79
Position 1? I don't know what that is, but my MZ-S1 has "G-protection" and it's un-skippable. Quite amazing.

Yeah, the mid-upper bass on this portable is still a little bloated, even without the bass boost on. It doesn't bother me, heck, when you have MX400's you NEED the bass boost.

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 79
I think MDDrew is saying that the EASS on the Aiwa is similar to the ones used by the current Sony PCDPs, in which the user can choose the level of anti-shock protection, generally between 10 seconds or 40/45 seconds.

As I remember it, since I don't have the Aiwa currently with me, the EASS button is marked "On/Off". And when I read the owner's manual, it certainly sounds like it was the anti-shock circuitry was defeatable by mentioning the word "off" on several occasions.

I will check after I get back home tonight (at work now).

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #33 of 79
I have an Aiwa XP-R210 pcdp/radio. The EASS plus settings are off, 12, and 48. The manual says that there is loss of sound quality in 48 second mode, so I guess there is only compression in 48 second mode.

My aiwa pcdp is broken, it cannot play cds. When I put a clean redbook cd in, the unit makes loud sounds, the laser moves around wildly, and the unit cannot even find the track number or cd length. The cd player died out gradually, at first it skipped alittle while playing, then uncontrolably, and now it refuses to play. The radio works on the unit however. I bought a Maxell CD lens cleaner with "advanced angle brush" and I've sprayed the unit with compressed air, and it has not worked.

Is it possible to fix this player?

Jan 15, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #34 of 79
For me, once a PCDP dies, that's pretty much it. I rather go for a new one.

When I was at Walmart, they had an Aiwa that has a radio for about $10.00 more than the EV501R. Assuming everything about this CD player is the same as the EV501R, other than the radio, it would be a pretty good buy.

Jan 16, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 79
well if I were to buy a new pcdp, I'd get one with mp3 capability, redbook would be a waste of either time (cdrw) or money (cdr). But then again I dont have much money
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
For me, once a PCDP dies, that's pretty much it. I rather go for a new one.

When I was at Walmart, they had an Aiwa that has a radio for about $10.00 more than the EV501R. Assuming everything about this CD player is the same as the EV501R, other than the radio, it would be a pretty good buy.

I already checked that one out. It may seem like a better deal, but it's not. For one thing, it gets less than half the battery life of the 501R. Secondly, no remote. There's no way I'm trading 20 hours, a remote, and 10 bucks for a radio.

Feb 2, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #37 of 79
I got a change to try the European model (I think it is about the same) XP-EV500.
I must say, you were not wrong. For a current low end player it is quite good! Output is plenty. When listening to loud recordings in a quiet room I hardy have to turn up the volume at all! (PX100) The soundquality isn't amazing but at least doable. Not like others I tried who had either no bass or a V chaped EQ setting build in. (You know, lots of bass and treble and where are the mids?)
My iriver imp-150 sounds better, less muddy and the bass goes deeper.

But this PCDP has some advantaces over the imp that are quite important. Unlike the imp it doesn't have a ton of features. But it does have good batterylife (I got 44 hrs on 2100 mah batteries) and a build in charge circuit. Charged the 2100's in 6 hours.
It's smaller and lighter then the imp-150.

About the defeatable antishock, don't think this one got it. You can choose EASS 1 and 2. With 1 the disc spinnes up 5 sec, slows down 5 sec. Haven't tried 2 yet,well, just for a minute. It seemed like the disc spinnes up for about a minute when you start listening and then acts like EASS 1, 5 sec on, 5 sec off. (about 5 sec. it depends on where on the disc the laser is.)

If you want mp3, features, a remote and the best soundquality on a cheaper current model go for the iriver. If you want a no nonsence PCDP with good batterylife, ability to charge and soundquality isn't the main concern this Aiwa is worth the consideration.

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #38 of 79
Lisa, glad you like the Aiwa.

Regarding the "defeatable" anti-shock circuitry, I based my assumption on the "On/Off" switch inside the player and the instructions in the owner's manual stating "With EASS defeated....". These are the 2 indications I get when I first posted about the "defeatable" anti-shock circuitry.

But after trying various Sony and Panasonic PCDP at about the same or slightly above the Aiwa's price, the little Aiwa is still quite a player. Pretty good build quality too.

Feb 2, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #39 of 79
You can hear the disc spin, so maybe next time you can listen to hear if it is the same on the American model.

About the buildquality, yes pretty good. Batterydoor feels solid, buttons pretty good. The only thing that concerns me a bit is the little round thing where you put the disc on. It's got three plastic thingies where you click the disc on so it keeps in place. On other PCDP's I've had these are metal. I'm a bit afraid this will be the first thing to break.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #40 of 79
I see the Soundboy review about of Sony D-NE300 CD/MP3 player. It seems great...

But I live in Europe (Spain) and I am scared with the poor headphone output: 1.5 mW.

I was considering again the Aiwa XP-EV501R (in Spain is XP-EV600) for similar sound and headphone output as american Sony D-NE300.

There are great differences of quality sound (D-NE300 vs XP-EV501R)?

Somebody in Europe has bought the Sony D-NE300? Wath about your quality sound?

Thanks.

-Maurus

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by maurus
I see the Soundboy review about of Sony D-NE300 CD/MP3 player. It seems great...

But I live in Europe (Spain) and I am scared with the poor headphone output: 1.5 mW.

I was considering again the Aiwa XP-EV501R (in Spain is XP-EV600) for similar sound and headphone output as american Sony D-NE300.

There are great differences of quality sound (D-NE300 vs XP-EV501R)?

Somebody in Europe has bought the Sony D-NE300? Wath about your quality sound?

Thanks.

-Maurus

The Aiwa doesn't seen to have the 1.5mw volume cap. I've tried the Sony D-NE700 briefly and it was much quiter. I can't be sure the soundquality is the same. Didn't listen to the headphone out very long. I think your best bet is to try and get a American Sony model.

Sep 28, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #42 of 79
Maurus,

I still use my Aiwa and Sony PCDPs, but for some reasons, I prefer the Aiwa. I have been using both PCDPs on my daily commute to work with Sennheiser PX200 headphones, and to my ears, the Aiwa has a smoother sound. Even when sitting in a speeding train, both PCDPs have enough "juice" to power the PX200 and have enough "reserve volume" to blow my eardrums out. In the end, it's always the Aiwa that travel with me to work. I am not saying the Sony isn't good....it's a very good PCDP indeed and I highly recommend it. Perhaps it's synegy between the Aiwa, the PX200, and my ears.

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #43 of 79
Maurus and Soundboy,

The Sony model I got had the 1.5mw limit. I believe this will be the same in Spain. 1.5mw is just enough for quiet listening at home with sensive headphones like PX200/100, MX500 etc.
The Aiwa I had was the XP-EV500 (no remote model) and that one could go much louder. Don't know about the soundquality, just that you should think twice before you get a Sony model in Spain.
The XP-EV500 sounded good with PX100s.

Sep 28, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 79
Thanks to both.

Lisa, Soundboy, what it is your current recommendation for a CD player?

1) CD Player for only CD Audio

2) CD Player for both CD Audio and MP3.

-Thanks a lot.

-Maurus
mx500, px100, px200, hd497

Users who are viewing this thread

Back