Pleasantly surprised....Aiwa EX-EV501R PCDP
Dec 2, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 79
Not as if any of us would ever use them, but what is with the hybrid clip-on headphones in the first picture that still have a head strap thing -- and why isn't it adjustable? Surely it isn't flexible enough to accomodate all head size comfortably. Those are just really weird looking headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by Aloft
Not as if any of us would ever use them, but what is with the hybrid clip-on headphones in the first picture that still have a head strap thing -- and why isn't it adjustable? Surely it isn't flexible enough to accomodate all head size comfortably. Those are just really weird looking headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hell even the "adjustable" ones don't fit on my big melon
smily_headphones1.gif

Scott

Dec 2, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Hell even the "adjustable" ones don't fit on my big melon
smily_headphones1.gif

And I am in the opposite camp with such a small head that I just looked on in confusion when people talked about the horrible clamping effect of Sennheisers. Heh, they feel fine to me, a little loose if anything.

Dec 2, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 79
Quote:

And I am in the opposite camp with such a small head that I just looked on in confusion when people talked about the horrible clamping effect of Sennheisers. Heh, they feel fine to me, a little loose if anything.

I was quite happy with my HD280's. I hate the feeling they are going to fall off.

Dec 2, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 79
I haven't even taken those out of the plastic container. I have been using my Sennheiser PX100 and just ordered PX200 yesterday.

An update to the Aiwa purchase....this PCDP has a 30-step digital volume control and I find my ears maxing out on the 25th or 26th step when driving the PX100. When compared to the Sony D-FJ401, the Aiwa's headphone output lacks a certain amount of dynamics, but provides an overall smooth response. In fact, the D-FJ401's headphone out is kinda "in your face". The controls are very intuitive and there are beeps to confirm your commands. The volume control on the side are tiny since they are VERY SMALL retangular bottons. I haven't had much use of the remote however. Haven't skipped yet even when used during brisk walks on the theadmill. The battery charging function works well; completely recharged a set of double-A batteries in under 3 hours.

Dec 2, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 79
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Those would be the 'behind the neck' style of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Hence the 'earclips' and then 'headband' (which is really a neckband.. yea).
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Those would be the 'behind the neck' style of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Hence the 'earclips' and then 'headband' (which is really a neckband.. yea).
wink.gif

Ha! I didn't realize they actually made headphones intended for this. I had always thought it was just people wearing them like that to "look cool" or whatever. Kind of like when they used to wear their hats backward.

Interesting.

Dec 18, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #23 of 79
Yet another update to the purchase of the Aiwa EX-EV501R PCDP....

I finally received my PX200 from ecost.com and has been burning them in at home while I am at work. Had about 2 days worth or burning in so far. Quite an improvement in sound. Yesterday, I plugged the PX200 into the Aiwa and used them during my commute to and from work. For those in the San Francsico Bay Area, I take BART....which is sort of a high-speed (when it moves) commuter train. With the added isolation from the PX200, I found the Aiwa to be quite happy powering these headphones. Music used was a CD of Van Halen's "Greatest Hits Vol. 1"; not exactly audiophile material though. I certainly didn't have to jack up the volume anymore with the PX200, and the Aiwa headphone output have more than enough volume left over until the maximum. And this was when the BART train had to go under San Francisco Bay, inside the tunnel.

All the controls works fine, with good battery life. I do miss the use of a remote with a LCD display though. This Aiwa is a keeper.

Sony 401 going on sale soon.

BTW, you can now order directly from Aiwa's US website. Prices include shipping w/ 30 day return policy.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #24 of 79
I ordered one of these from Sam's Club for 40 bucks. Good deal. Anyway, I like it! For 40 bucks, it's a pretty nice CD player. It has a simple remote and a nice design that's still "sleek" looking. It also can charge batteries in it when you plug an adaptor into it! (have yet to try this feature).

The sound is decent. I'm using my Grado SR-80's plugged into these, which are good headphones for comparison due to their revealing nature.

In comparison to my MZ-S1, the sound isn't as good, but still perfectly acceptable. It's actually pretty sad considering what I did was put my Led Zepp "How the West Was Won [LIVE]" album in the CD player, meanwhile I ripped the CD into wav using EAC and into MP3 using EasyLame and then transferred those to ATRAC3, and then onto the MZ-S1, and the S1 still sounds better than the Aiwa. The difference is easily noticable. The MZ-S1 has considerbly better frequency range. The bass extends much more, and the highs are a bit smoother and more detailed, although a bit laid back (Thanks a lot, ATRAC).

Still, this is a heck of a CD player for a mere 40 bucks. I'll keep it for school use (I'll probably switch between the PCDP and my MZ-S1, depending on which I need) alongside my recently purchased MX400's, which are extremely portable. The case is excellent.

Thanks for the suggestion, soundboy!

edit: The only major thing wrong with this thing is the bass boost. It's PAINFUL to listen to it with the bass boost. BB1 is OK with the MX400's, mainly because they don't have much bass in the first place, so when you turn it on it's better than nothing. Still, even BB1 is unbearable with my SR-80's. BB2 almost had me puking. Pretty awful. The MZ-S1's BB1 is nice, BB2 is too much bass, but at least it's decent sounding compared to this crap.

Jan 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #25 of 79
I am glad you like the player, MD1032.

I think the headphone output just doesn't have much dynamics to it. While it can pump out an acceptable amount of volume, somehow the sound is somewhat compressed. However, listening to it with my Sennheiser PX200 on my commute today, it's actually quite good.

I don't listen to any PCDP with the bass boost feature; just not my cup of tea.

Have you try turning off the anti-shock circuitry?

For about $40.00, it's better than any of the Panasonic/Sony PCDP in its price range.

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #26 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
I am glad you like the player, MD1032.

I think the headphone just doesn't have much dynamics to it. While it can pump out an acceptable amount of volume, somehow the sound is somewhat compressed. However, listening to it with my Sennheiser PX200 on my commute today, it's actually quite good.

I don't listen to any PCDP with the bass boost feature; just not my cup of tea.

Have you try turning off the anti-shock circuitry?

For about $40.00, it's better than any of the Panasonic/Sony PCDP in its price range.

1) The stock headphones don't even deserve to be listened to imo. They're quite painful, so muddled voices are hard to understand. I gave them to my mom. She likes them because of the design.

2) I have the "EASS" off. I don't know what it does, but according to the manual you get better battery life with it on. I actually thinks it sounds a little better with it off, no kidding.

3) It is indeed one heck of a bang-for-the-buck. In fact, I've never seen a better price/value ratio in any portable before, except in the iriver portables, which also have a good ratio, but not as good was this one. Heck, the thing can even charge batteries.

I gave it the "school" stress test today. The thing is, believe it or not, a perfectly usable school portable! The remote is easily the best feature of the portable. I can leave the thing in my pocket, plug my MX400's (BTW, the perfect affordable school phone/bud imo) into the little remote. The remote weighs almost NOTHING. The heaviest part of it is where the rubber cord joins to the bottom of it. I can leave it dangling and my buds won't pop out. The remote makes the thing really easy to use. I put the hold switch on my CD player and just use the remote to control the whole thing, while it's still in my pocket. Small, easy to use, and has a nice feel.

My MZ-S1 doesn't even have a remote and I bought it for 100 bucks! (retail $150). This is the one feature I wish that thing had.

Definitely a keeper, and between the MX400's and this PCDP, I bet it's the best school portable combo money can buy for around 50 bucks.

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 79
The EASS is the defeatable (for those who didn't read from the beginning of the thread) anti-shock system in the Aiwa. It's quite good even without the anti-shock being on, in terms of not skipping. I was able to make it skip once with the EASS on, but that's when I was on the threadmill.

I haven't even taken the stock headphones out of the plastic blister pack.

MD1032....did you seen the photo of the Japanese version of this player?? It comes with a remote with a LCD display....I would gladly pay a little more for that remote.

I need to pick up a pair of the Sennheiser MX400/500.

Jan 13, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
The EASS is the defeatable (for those who didn't read from the beginning of the thread) anti-shock system in the Aiwa. It's quite good even without the anti-shock being on, in terms of not skipping. I was able to make it skip once with the EASS on, but that's when I was on the threadmill.

I haven't even taken the stock headphones out of the plastic blister pack.

MD1032....did you seen the photo of the Japanese version of this player?? It comes with a remote with a LCD display....I would gladly pay a little more for that remote.

I need to pick up a pair of the Sennheiser MX400/500.

Me too. Makes me wish I has gotten that one.

Well, I have the EASS turned off and can't seem to get it so skip. The way I test is to firmly bang the thing against my palm and shake it as hard as I can. So far, I haven't broken it
biggrin.gif
or gotten it to skip.

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 79
I am glad I could be of assistance to at least one person on this website. Especially I have learned so much from everyone else.

Quote:

It is indeed one heck of a bang-for-the-buck.

I agree as well. Tonight I was listening to Genesis' live album "The Way We Walk - The Longs" on the Aiwa with my Sennheiser PX200 and I found that the Aiwa's bass response, with no bass boost engaged, can overload the PX200 in some instances. The CD features electric bass, synth bass, and 2 drummers (one being Phil Collins). While I don't think the album has tremendous dynamics, the PX200 were really pushed to the near-limits a couple of times. This is with the volume at the top of the 7 range, which is six steps from the very top. I have read that the PX200 isn't particularly good at reproducing bass, so perhaps that's the reason.

This is possibly the portable audio bargain of the year.

Jan 15, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #30 of 79
i think the EASS off position is the same as sony's g protection position 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back