Pleasantly surprised....Aiwa EX-EV501R PCDP
Nov 20, 2003 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
0001881805026_500X500.jpg

I was browsing at Walmart last night when I came across this very basic PCDP. I don't need another PCDP since I just purchased a refurbished Sony D-FJ401 from Sony Outlet on ebay and has been quite impressed. The Aiwa was on sale for $45.00 and came with a remote (which I kinda missed from my previous Panasonic), so what the heck. Got it home and was surprised that it has defeatable anti-shock, which isn't mentioned on the Walmart website or on the packaging. Like most current PCDP, the headphone output need more juice but listening through my Sennheiser PX100, it's not bad at all. No radio but has pause buttom. The remote is OK for such an inexpensive player and build quality is actually quite good. It can even recharge rechargeable batteries but you will have to supply the AC adaptor.

I will update this thread when more listening time has been accrued. Maybe putting the Sony D-FJ401 on sale if this Aiwa works out.

Nov 20, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 79
I don't suppose it has a line out?

Nov 20, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 79
Oh well, can't hurt to ask, still defeatable ski protection IS something for a cheap modern player.

Scott

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 79
JiPi,

Generally, the anti-shock circuitry on a PCDP compresses the signal for the memory buffer. The compression generally degrades the signal and that's why a defeatable anti-shock circuitry is preferred. Nowadays, almost all PCDP contains a non-defeatable anti-shock buffer. That's why the defeatable anti-shock circuitry on the Aiwa was such a surprise.

***Please feel free to correct the above explaination***

scottder,

I just listen to the Aiwa with its anti-shock off....a slight but definitely noticeable improvement over the "on" setting. Still, this player's headphone out is also weaker than the Sony D-FJ401's; it's on par with current Sony (Aiwa's parent company) and Panasonic PCDP. If I am keeping this player, I will get a MINT amp.

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy

scottder,

I just listen to the Aiwa with its anti-shock off....a slight but definitely noticeable improvement over the "on" setting. Still, this player's headphone out is also weaker than the Sony D-FJ401's; it's on par with current Sony (Aiwa's parent company) and Panasonic PCDP. If I am keeping this player, I will get a MINT amp.

How do you like the D-FJ401? I use a D-33 at work, but it can be kinda persnickity.

Scott

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 79
scottder,

I found out about the D-FJ401 from this board. Since I can't find one brand new (until after I got my refurbished one from Sony Outlet, of course), I purchased one online from Sony. It's OK....other than the strong headphone output (via an analog dial), nothing spectacular. I would say it's probably better build than the Aiwa if new. The one I received from Sony had a couple of small nicks/scratches on it, plus the controls for the CD player is kinda "iffy". Don't get me wrong, everything works 100%, just that it doesn't seem to be the bargain it was made out to be.

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 79
I really like what Aiwa are trying to do since Sony took them over. They're using the guts of Sony gear, selling them cheaper and I personally think many Aiwa equivalents are better than the Sony products they borrowed the innards from.

I really liked the XP-ZV1 although they may not sell this in the US. Unfortunately I think Aiwa shot themselves in the foot with their Net MD portables, but I still liked the overall styling.

One player which intrigues me a lot (although it's bound to be huge) is the XPSN70 Sports MP3/CD unit. I haven't seen one in the flesh yet but I really like the looks of it.

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 79
Well i think I may hunt for something with a decent Line out. I plan on picking up an amp to use at work, so a decent "real" line out.

Scott

Nov 21, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 79
Comparing the Sony D-FJ401 and the Aiwa EX-EV501R, the Sony wins in the amount of output at the headphone jack. However, the Aiwa seem to have a smoother sound. And this is barely owning the Aiwa for 24 hours. The Sony seems to have a bass bump....yes, the bass boost is not on with neither unit.

The packaging and the user's guide of the Aiwa does say "Sony". I don't think I can get a similar Sony player unless I pay another $20.00, which is almost 50% more.

So far, the Aiwa is working out quite good.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 79
An update to the Aiwa purchase....

I was surfing the web today during my break
wink.gif
and checked out the J&R website. Seems like they are offering their stock of JVC PCDP with free shipping. So I decided to check out these JVC PCDP on JVC's website....defeatable anti-shock and wow, 9mW/channel of output at the headphone jack (OK, that's at 10% THD at 16 ohms). So during my lunch I went to my local Good Guys (West Coast electronics chain now owned by CompUSA) to see what's up with these PCDP. To cut a long story shorter, I purchased a XL-PG59, complete with aluminum top cover, rechargeable batteries, AC adapter, and remote with LCD display. For $59.95. Not bad for only $15.00 more than the Aiwa.

I finally got it home to try it with my Sennheiser PX100. Guess what? The remote doesn't work....the LCD display first came out then decided to die on me. All within 5 minutes of opening the package. On top of that, I only get one channel of sound to my PX100. The player works perfectly when I plug my PX100 directly to it instead of via the remote. And yes, the headphone output is amazingly robust.

So I decided to go exchange the JVC at my local Good Guys near my home. Of course, they were out of stock on the XL-PG59. So I decided to go with a PCDP model lower on the line since I prefer to have a display on the player itself. Got the JVC XL39BK.

Again, got it home and yes, the same robust output at headphone jack. Except this time, the dial volume control has static when adjust the volume. Damn!! Two different players from 2 different stores, but same type of problem: quality control.

I was able to do A/B listening comparison between the Aiwa and the JVC PCDPs, and IMO, despite the lower output at the headphone jack, the Aiwa still sound smoother than both JVCs. Not to mention it actually seems to be better build. Granted, the JVCs were just out of the "box" but the quality issues are scaring me off. That's too bad since I had a JVC boombox that lasted me over 10 years without any problems.

Looking at Aiwa's Japan website, Aiwa seems to be selling a similar model there (the XP-EV600D) with a remote that contains a LCD display. maybe I can order just the remote?

xp-ev600d.jpg

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Well i think I may hunt for something with a decent Line out. I plan on picking up an amp to use at work, so a decent "real" line out.

Scott

One of the major misconceptions of portable listening imho... I never use the line out with any of my PCDPs... just don't need to.

Oh, and if you want a 'real' line out, then that limits you to the D5 / D7 / D14 vintage as they have the full voltage required for a 'true' line out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back