Playing Guitar and Bass Guitar: Which one to take? (AKG, Seinnheiser, KOSS o Something Else)
Sep 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luizzeross

New Head-Fier
Hey fellas! I feel somewhat lucky to find out that this forum exists, and the good quality of reviews I'd read here. So, after reading so many things, it seems like the price doesn't pays the quality in all the cases, as for example, the fact that the KOSS MV-1 being an average quality headphone and no better than his older brother PRO4AAT (and that this one is cheaper too!).

Well, as the title says it, I play electric guitar and electric bass guitar. I play from blues to heavy metal songs on both instruments, and actually I have these headphones at home:

1. AKG K414P
  2. KOSS PORTA PRO
  3. KOSS THE PLUG

I switch between them very often, and have concluded some things up:

1) KOSS Porta Pro has better sound for my bass guitar playing, but it’s not “closed”, and have no external noise silencer.
3) KOSS The Plug has a lack of high pitch frequencies, so it doesn’t fit the audio monitoring so well (at least for me… that is bad).
2) AKG K414P does a little noise passive cancellation, but after about 1 hour playing, my ear hurts because of the pressure. Also it doesn’t have deep bass as Porta Pro

I am looking for a new headphone, and I wish to try a professional one this time, with a good passive noise canceller and also a confortable one. I seek a well defined dirty guitar tone (distortion) and also a deep and well defined bass frequencies response. Also, sometimes I like to overraise the volume level a bit, and my Koss Porta Pro seems to cause a little sound distortion, so I’m looking for a model that doesn’t do that. Also, I need something that fits the US$ 199,00 maximum price. Which brand and model do you guys would recommend? Sennheiser? KOSS? AKG? Something else? Thanks everyone for paying attention! =)

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 10
Oh, IMHO?  I love, love the Ultrasone HFI580.  They are designed as monitors for drummers and bass guitarists.  Fantastic detail and texture in the bass region.  Good balanced sound overall also.  Plus you might like the S-Logic concept for a work phone.  The idea is that you can listen at lower SPL and get the same volume levels thus protecting your hearing to an extent.  If you shop around you can get them for $125-$130.

http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?level=1&CatID=13.36&inhalt_id=45&shop_level=2&shop_CatID=1&shop_inhalt_id=0&do=showDetails&artikel_typ=allgemein&artikel_id=11&PHPSESSID=d79ed41635959ec3e02d31fc83aad65c

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your reply! I never heard about this Ultrasone brand before, and I already looked for prices and it seems to have affordable models. I made a list of affordable one that I can purchase with the price I can get. What would be worth the price and good for my main needs?

Code:
 $189.00 - AKG K 141 MK II Professional Semi-Open $199.00 - AKG K 240 MK II Professional Semi-Open $199.00 - AKG K 181 DJ - Professional Closed-Back $189.95 - Ultrasone PRO 550 Closed-Back Professional $149.00 - Ultrasone HFI-580 Closed-Back $192.95 - Ultrasone HFI-680 Closed-Back $62.99 - Koss Pro4AAT Professional Closed-Back $149.99 - Koss Pro4AAAT Professional Studio $99.95 - Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - Circumaural Closed-Back $119.95 - Sennheiser HD-280 Silver - Pro Circumaural Closed-Back $199.95 - Sennheiser HD-380 Pro $150.00 - Grado SR125i Dynamic Open-Air $200.00 - Grado SR225i Open-Air Dynamic $123.95 - Technics RP-DH1200 (this one is a friend's recommendation)

Also, I made a Google spreadsheet to compare these models. Here it is:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApTsBbyh3aYcdGlkQ1gzSEdZWTFVbkZpVE45b29BWWc&hl=en&output=html

Thanks again! =)

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Grados are open, AKGs semi open except the Dj model so cross those off unless you want to hear ambient and your headphones also.  Don't know about the Koss Pro or Technics.  All I can say is I like the HFI580 and it is designed w/ your purpose in mind.  Good hunting.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Grados are open, AKGs semi open except the Dj model so cross those off unless you want to hear ambient and your headphones also.  Don't know about the Koss Pro or Technics.  All I can say is I like the HFI580 and it is designed w/ your purpose in mind.  Good hunting.

I think I need a closed or semi-open one, to keep the volume down and keep my hearing safe. I hunting every information I can, since I wish to put these on and say: What!!! It looks as a dream come true!
eek.gif
deadhorse.gif

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I think I need a closed or semi-open one, to keep the volume down and keep my hearing safe. I hunting every information I can, since I wish to put these on and say: What!!! It looks as a dream come true!
eek.gif
deadhorse.gif

Ditch semi open also IMO.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Now I'm thinking about these ones:
Code:
 $199.95 - Sennheiser HD-380 Pro
Code:
 $189.95 - Ultrasone PRO 550 Closed-Back Professional
It seems that Ultrasone has "Safer Listening" and "Ultra Low Emissions" as positive features. But they don't say a thing about ambient sound isolation as Sennheiser informs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back