Playaz N1
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #136 of 506
OMG why did you have to mention that. Now I just have to go and order some (not like I did not just order a M-Stage on Wednesday)
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #137 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TM1PRO look impressive. How's the soundstage on these compared to the Playaz N3 and Sonia II?

BTW to anyone interested, all Playaz models are currently on sale for €15.
smile_phones.gif

Compared to n3, its has a tad bit less soundstage but a bit better than sonias. Bass is its strongest point while mids are forward and highs are smooth and non sibilant. Out of the box, i could conclude it is better than both n3 and sonia II. Imagine how much better it can get after say 200hrs+ of burn in. Id say these could compete with iems that cost thrice or four times as much. it is that GOOD

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #138 of 506
So which ones are the ones to try? N1, AR100 and the TM1Pro?

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #139 of 506
Ok I have N1, N3 and Sonia II, and Xr 120
Personally I love N3(EQ ed with James's Setting) so much, it gives huge soundstage, in my opinion.
But N1 also shines in some musics. (My friend loves it a lot)
N3 is more bassy in my opinion, although with James Eq it reduces the bass a lot.
N3 for my ear produces very natural sounds.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #141 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuraninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I have N1, N3 and Sonia II, and Xr 120
Personally I love N3(EQ ed with James's Setting) so much, it gives huge soundstage, in my opinion.
But N1 also shines in some musics. (My friend loves it a lot)
N3 is more bassy in my opinion, although with James Eq it reduces the bass a lot.
N3 for my ear produces very natural sounds.

spot on! n3 is the most natural iem ive ever heard to date. You should try tm1pro. it blows all yours away except it has a bit less soundstage compared to n3. One word to describe the tm1 is "fantastic"

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #142 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuraninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@buz how can you rockboxed your sansa clip plus, since the latest release is near impossible to use, it hangs a lot, restarts a lot

Use the hybrid EPEX 10 A from Sony

Yeah I barely use the Rockbox these days but some of the release actually were stable so that's an option.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #143 of 506
Ok so the N1, AR100 and TM1Pro are on their way to me. I really should seek treatment.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #145 of 506
Ordered some Playaz N1's, am hoping to be able to get them to sound good on my cowon d2 either with rockbox or normal D2 eq, anyone have any advice on what settings other than simply lowering the bass I should be fiddling with?

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #146 of 506
^ Don't know if your Cowon D2 and my i9 have similar sound signature, but you can try the EQ settings (not for Rockbox) that I posted here. Other than that, give them at least 24 hours playtime with slightly louder music than you'd normally listen to and don't wear them with a deep seal. IMO they sound best with only a shallow seal. If you're bothered by driver crackling you can try to wear them over-ear, even though this feels a bit weird with the J-cord.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #147 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Don't know if your Cowon D2 and my i9 have similar sound signature, but you can try the EQ settings (not for Rockbox) that I posted here. Other than that, give them at least 24 hours playtime with slightly louder music than you'd normally listen to and don't wear them with a deep seal. IMO they sound best with only a shallow seal. If you're bothered by driver crackling you can try to wear them over-ear, even though this feels a bit weird with the J-cord.

Thanks James
smily_headphones1.gif
By the way I enjoy your writeups here, it seems you have a slightly different taste than the usual RE0 crowd, Ive just ordered PL50's too cos I enjoy my PL30's more than RE0's, I see you like both of them on your sig. Anyway Im hoping both the Playaz and the PL50's will give me some of the airiness and body and overall musicality that I sometimes find lacking in RE0's.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #148 of 506
Hi pinkmoon, thanks for your encouragement.
smile_phones.gif
I too enjoy the PL30s and in my book they are the cheapest audiophile IEMs. The PL50s are a slight step up in some aspects and especially good with vocals, but they are a tad less airy than the PL30.

Coming from the RE0, you will be shocked by the N1, but don't let this put you off. I honestly wanted to trash them immediately after first listening on flat EQ. Now they are my favorite IEMs for classical, even though almost all my other phones are much more expensive. They don't work the same for every genre, but with orchestra works or soundtracks nothing else I know comes close. Hope you'll enjoy them too, looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #149 of 506
James444 how is the Iso on the AR100, N1, and Sonia (sorry if this have been covered). Also I have a pair of N3s and I love thier Sig.. Are you saying the 3 above sound better?

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #150 of 506
^ Hi freeone, glad you like your N3! Iso is far worse on all 3 others because contrary to the N3 they are open designs. I'm not saying they sound better, rather I like their open, airy sound signature a bit better, especially with classical. But there are others like EricP who rate the N3 higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back