Planar Recommendations
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #46 of 69
Yep - pity they didn't shorten that headband a bit and rely on the extenders.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #47 of 69
Yep - pity they didn't shorten that headband a bit and rely on the extenders.
My biggest complaint with them as I don’t mind the weight that much only feels heavy in the hand and not too much on the head.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #48 of 69
So as not to make another thread what are some good balanced amp/dacs for $750 or so?

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #49 of 69
Hi All,

This is a little off/topic - but I’ve been a member here for a few years now and wanted to ask some advice. Due to a recent IEM upgrade I’ve been selling a few items here. As a result, I have some Grados someone wants to exchange for some Audeze LCD 2s. I’m fine with this, but wanted to know if anyone here has experience of trading items here? What would you suggest is the safest/most practical method of doing so?

Many Thanks!

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #51 of 69
OK, right now I am trying to decide between the Ananda and an LCD X....which one? Related to the post above.....Is the Sundara that far behind either of these two HP's?

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #52 of 69
OK, I got my first planar.....The Sundara. I lucked out by getting it for $315 "used" from Amazon. It was listed as acceptable condition and I took a chance and when it arrived. It was in new condition with not a mark on it and everything well packed in the box. Now for the sound. Since this is my first planar hp I don't have much to compare it to in that regard. I can say it is clean sounding, slightly bright, good sound stage and precise imaging. My only complaints would be that it seems to lack a little in the way of dynamics and it could use a little more sub bass, now perhaps that lack of sub bass impact could have to do with that feeling in lacking dynamic impact.

At this point I would like to try an Audeze to see whether I would prefer a more neutral sound with larger soundstage such as the Sundara to a more laid back but dynamic sound like the Audeze. Any particular model of Audeze I should try first?

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #56 of 69
Audeze LCD-3 Used can run around 1,000$ USD.. and they're brighter than the LCD-X or LCD-2/2C.

I've heard hifiman Arya is bright and good too. depends on your budget.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #57 of 69
Audeze LCD-3 Used can run around 1,000$ USD.. and they're brighter than the LCD-X or LCD-2/2C.

I've heard hifiman Arya is bright and good too. depends on your budget.
Thanks, I was looking at several LCD3. I have seen one pair in good condition as low as $850, no cable. Many call the overall tone lush on these. You are saying saying ther are brighter than the LCD X?

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #58 of 69
Great price!

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #59 of 69
Thanks, I was looking at several LCD3. I have seen one pair in good condition as low as $850, no cable. Many call the overall tone lush on these. You are saying saying ther are brighter than the LCD X?
From when i last heard them at a coworkers home yes, brighter than the lcd-x but not by a huge amount, i would say on certain tracks that i listened to it was noticeable. The source the lcd3 and x and other audeze phones i tried were plugged into an audeze deckard and a Macintosh headphone amp. It could also be the sources maybe. But im just going on what ive remembered from what i had access to.

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #60 of 69
Just as an update on my Planar adventures. Now in addition to my Sundara I now have a LCD X. Gotta admit I was never excited about the Sundara. It's sounds lifeless. It's a competent HP but doesn't excel at anything. The X is the opposite, more dynamic, better clarity, better bass definition. Here I thought I would actually more prefer the Hifiman sound, but actually prefer the Audeze sound. I know the comparison isn't quite fair in that the X is twice as much as the Sundara. Now, my main question is whether a move to the Ananda, HEX or Arya will give me the more lively, dynamic detailed sound I hear in the X or is the general Hifiman sound more laid back, no matter how far up the line you go? If that's the case I may just get a pair of LCD 2C and call it a day on the planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back