Planar Recommendations
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

mixman

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for the best planar headphone or headphones I can get, new or used under $1,000. I generally prefer neutral or bright as opposed to very warm headphones. I am looking at Audeze LCD-X, Hifiman Sundara's or Anandas. Am I on target with these headphones considering the sonic signature I am after? Would LCD2's or classics be anything I should also consider?

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 69
You might also want to consider the LCD-XC.
Funny, I just heard the soundcloud demo of these and they sounded like the brightest of the Audeze cans including the X’s. Not as much bass though. Does this sound correct?

you can search for second hand hifiman he6se or HE6, both of them are excellent

It seems the problem with these is that they are difficult to drive and the amp I will need will cost as much as the hp’s.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 69
Funny, I just heard the soundcloud demo of these and they sounded like the brightest of the Audeze cans including the X’s. Not as much bass though. Does this sound correct?

I can't say about the bass - haven't heard the X and the XC back to back before. To my ears, the XC goes deep in the bottom octaves but is still articulate. They aren't very forgiving in the midrange / treble. I think Audeze markets them for studio mastering work, which makes sense.

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 69
I can't say about the bass - haven't heard the X and the XC back to back before. To my ears, the XC goes deep in the bottom octaves but is still articulate. They aren't very forgiving in the midrange / treble. I think Audeze markets them for studio mastering work, which makes sense.

That would be would I would use them for...studio work. Just wonder are they hard to drive?

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 69
Try looking into Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow closed. Pretty damn neutral sounding. Incredible tone. Can sound a bit bass light depending upon what youre used to.
Not too difficult to drive,but an amp does help.

I should add that theyre extremely comfortable for extended head time.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 69
Since you don’t mind used the HE-500’s are a very good headphone.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 69
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 69
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 69
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 69
Since you don’t mind used the HE-500’s are a very good headphone.

Haven't seen many of these around used. I was thinking about the HE-560's for under $300 though.

Try looking into Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow closed. Pretty damn neutral sounding. Incredible tone. Can sound a bit bass light depending upon what youre used to.
Not too difficult to drive,but an amp does help.
I should add that theyre extremely comfortable for extended head time.

I will look into these.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 69
Havent heard that combo before.
Doesn’t bring all the bass that they can handle but for $99 it is a very good amp and even get the Abyss loud but still lacks the bass it definitely has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back