Planar Recommendations
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 69
Haven't seen many of these around used. I was thinking about the HE-560's for under $300 though.
For under $300 not a bad choice.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 69
Would it be possible for anyone who has owned or auditioned multiple planer headphones to tell me from darkest to brightest......where each of the planar hp models stand? If it's easier you can do this by company, Audeze, Hifiman or any other brands you can think of.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 69
That would be would I would use them for...studio work. Just wonder are they hard to drive?

They aren't hard to drive at all. I sometimes use them straight out of a laptop headphone jack. They'll sound more spacious if you use an amp though. One downside is that they are rather heavy and aren't terribly portable.

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 69
Would it be possible for anyone who has owned or auditioned multiple planer headphones to tell me from darkest to brightest......where each of the planar hp models stand? If it's easier you can do this by company, Audeze, Hifiman or any other brands you can think of.
I have heard a lot. Has been over several years so take that into account as memory fades. I have the HE-500’s,400’s,400S, T-X0 , Ether-C and Abyss and have heard many others. Forgot have the Audeze LCDi4’s also.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 69
Mobius is brilliant - love the 3D, but sound excellent with nothing engaged. Also worth looking at : Brainwavz Alara. Essentially pretty neutral - nice extension in the bass. Very comfortable.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #23 of 69
Get a Good Dac/Amp if you are going to use Planars.. The Schiit Jotunheim is a pretty decent amp (Excellent for the price)... As for the Planars. I've owned a few. By far the Hifiman Ananda is my favorite. It is lightweight in comparison to the Audeze offerings and comfortable to wear for hours on end. They can actually be driven by a Smartphone and sound somewhat neutral but very musical. There is no particular frequency that sounds boosted and to my ears sound great with every genre I've tried them with.

The LCD-X is a nice choice as well. I haven't owned them but I've listened to them enough times and I definitely would add them to my collection.
The LCD -2 was a bit bulky... I felt like I needed to turn it up a lot louder than I normally listen . The midrange just seemed recessed. I had the LCD-2 Shedua wood version paired with a TEAC UD-503. I'd probably revisit that again in the future with a balanced cable.
Hifiman HE560v2 I have no idea why the price was so cheap on Adorama's website... sounds more like a $700 - $1000 headphone than something you get for $300. I love my pair.
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed Back... Crystal clear resolution with insufficient low end.. If that's your cup of tea go ahead... They are ridiculously comfortable.
Audeze EL-8C... So nice I bought them twice... then I realized I liked treble extension.. Great with Hip Hop and Popular music.
I haven't taken my EL-8 Titanium out the box yet to see what they can do.

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 69
Mobius is brilliant - love the 3D, but sound excellent with nothing engaged. Also worth looking at : Brainwavz Alara. Essentially pretty neutral - nice extension in the bass. Very comfortable.
You have have heard the Alara also?

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 69
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 69
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 69
Get a Good Dac/Amp if you are going to use Planars.. The Schiit Jotunheim is a pretty decent amp (Excellent for the price)... As for the Planars. I've owned a few. By far the Hifiman Ananda is my favorite. It is lightweight in comparison to the Audeze offerings and comfortable to wear for hours on end. They can actually be driven by a Smartphone and sound somewhat neutral but very musical. There is no particular frequency that sounds boosted and to my ears sound great with every genre I've tried them with.

The LCD-X is a nice choice as well. I haven't owned them but I've listened to them enough times and I definitely would add them to my collection.
The LCD -2 was a bit bulky... I felt like I needed to turn it up a lot louder than I normally listen . The midrange just seemed recessed. I had the LCD-2 Shedua wood version paired with a TEAC UD-503. I'd probably revisit that again in the future with a balanced cable.
Hifiman HE560v2 I have no idea why the price was so cheap on Adorama's website... sounds more like a $700 - $1000 headphone than something you get for $300. I love my pair.
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed Back... Crystal clear resolution with insufficient low end.. If that's your cup of tea go ahead... They are ridiculously comfortable.
Audeze EL-8C... So nice I bought them twice... then I realized I liked treble extension.. Great with Hip Hop and Popular music.
I haven't taken my EL-8 Titanium out the box yet to see what they can do.

Thanks for the good assessment. I noticed the same thing too with the online demo of the LCD2 and classics, I found myself turning it up and didn't know why. Really liked this line: "Audeze EL-8C... So nice I bought them twice... then I realized I liked treble extension." Ha, found myself doing the same with some of the things I have bought. I sell them then buy them again forgetting why I disliked them in the first place.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 69
Thanks for the good assessment. I noticed the same thing too with the online demo of the LCD2 and classics, I found myself turning it up and didn't know why. Really liked this line: "Audeze EL-8C... So nice I bought them twice... then I realized I liked treble extension." Ha, found myself doing the same with some of the things I have bought. I sell them then buy them again forgetting why I disliked them in the first place.
I'm learning to appreciate these headphones by listening to the music and not the equipment so to speak.... and not calling them cans.. I forgot about the Oppo PM-1 and Oppo PM-3... I liked both of them.. The PM-1 is a rare bird... If you find one just buy it. The PM-3 was decent but I cannot regress. It's cool if you want a really portable planar.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 69
So are we talking about the EL8 now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back