Planar Magnetic
Sep 23, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 13
Which planar magnetic?

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 13
If its the LCD 2 or fostex then no, but if its any of the Hifiman stuff, definietly yes.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 13
If by "extra equipment" you mean something specialized for planar-magnetics, then no. They still use electromagnetic force like dynamic drivers and can use the same amps, unlike electrostatics.

But, if by "extra equipment" you mean a more powerful amp, that is more likely.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
thanks guys. I was looking into Hifiman but I guess I'll go with the Fostex. Is the T50rp planar magnetic?

I've got hifimans and they sound awesome, do need amping though.

Saying that they work fine on my astro mixamp, drives them nice and loud, but on a proper amp they really shine.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 13
I drive my HiFiMan phones with both the little NuForce Icon HDP preamp/headphone amplifier and a Decman tube preamp/headphone amp. I've heard that the orthos need some power, but I didn't have to go out of my way to power these.
davisoly

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
thanks guys. I was looking into Hifiman but I guess I'll go with the Fostex. Is the T50rp planar magnetic?

If you're looking for the fostex, take a look at this.
It came up in the results of google shopping. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Orthodynamic, isodynamic, and planar-magnetic tend to be used interchangeably, so if that is true, yes, the T50RP is planar-magnetic.

Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
If you're looking for the fostex, take a look at this.
It came up in the results of google shopping. 

Yeah I saw that but I've never heard of people buying from "fullcompass" If I could get someone to back me up and say that is where I should get it. Then I'll go for it, but I don't want to be down $75 bones plus shipping

Does Fostex make headphones that are planar magnetic and comparable to the T50RP. I'd like it to be in the same price range and hopefully better.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 13
>Does Fostex make headphones that are planar magnetic and comparable to the T50RP.  

:confused: Fostex makes the T50RP. For modding purposes you could go with the T40RP, same driver (which is planar magnetic).

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Most planar magnetic headphones are low impedance so it's important to use a source that has a low output impedance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back