Planar Magnetic suggestions
Mar 28, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 59
For me, I haven't been truly satisfied with a Planar headphone. Something about them has always left me wanting more, mainly in sub bass. I have tried the Monoprice M560, Hifiman 400i and 4xx. I sold them all. I am picky but do know what I like. Brainwavz Alara is the last chance I'm giving planar, personally, since it is supposed to be a bassier Planar. Gets delivered to me tomorrow.

Planars to me have a dynamic but more neutral take on everything. Albeit, my majority of listening is with HiFiman but that's what I gather along with reading others reviews. Starting with something like the 4xx or even the 35X could give you a general idea of what planar sounds is about for not too much money.
My sentiments as well. Curious to hear your impressions of the Alara

Mar 28, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 59
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #20 of 59
It says 336.05

Fluctuates a lot. I got mine about a month ago for 199.99 (used) off amazon which was actually brand new in box, but the version with fragile yokes. Even if it breaks and even if they charge me for reinforced its still 100% worth the $275. They're damn good headphones as long as you can drive them. Actually I'm just assuming its the yoke one, it is woodgrain/black though.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #22 of 59
Will let you know.

If I want a bassy beautiful sounding full size then I reach for my Meze 99 Classics with Shure 1540 pads and Meze balanced cable.

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #23 of 59
Will let you know.

If I want a bassy beautiful sounding full size then I reach for my Meze 99 Classics with Shure 1540 pads and Meze balanced cable.
If I'm in the mood for something with some extra bass, I grab my Q40. I haven't heard another dynamic driver as visceral. My Classics with original pads don't have that same kind of hit, and the bass is looser, but they sound better everywhere else.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 59
HiFiMan HE560 for $249 on Amazon. That is the most ridiculous value you could possibly find. I have a lot of planars, I find them to be better for most things than dynamics, and I can tell you, you cannot find anything better for 250 bucks. It's an outrageous deal. https://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Magnetic-Over-Ear-Headphones-Woodgrain/dp/B00K6JEYD4
That would certainly be an incredible deal...! I'm also seeing Price: $595.55

Looking for some planar magnetics since i hear that their bass is usually superior.
Planars to me have a dynamic but more neutral take on everything.
That's why EQs exist! Btw imho, the biggest advantage in the bass of planars is actually the quality of the bass; the detail you can hear in the instruments, for instance; with planar almost be able to the drum body resonate while dynamic would be more like a 'blob'; mushy; blurry sound with no realistic detail. But they likely won't have 'more' bass (as in mid bass bump or just crazy boosted bass à la 990 or others), but they'll likely have better (flatter) bass extension and just better quality bass. You can find a couple of posts arguing here of 400i vs dynamic headphones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-816#post-13492713

Starting with something like the 4xx or even the 35X could give you a general idea of what planar sounds is about for not too much money.
The 4xx is closer to 400s, and from what I remember reading when looking 400i vs 400s was that the 400i was overall better; with a more solid bass. But, 170 for 4xx though, and I think the 400i was around 250 these days? 230 even maybe? I think they'd all be good choices, with 560 best if you can find a good deal. IMHO, the 560 is a smoother headphone than the 400i, which un-EQ'd can sound a tad bit bright/harsh; still similar sound, owning the 400i and hearing 560, sounded to me like more or less a more refined 400i. And yeah I think I remember reading that the Sundara's 500 price of a couple months ago was down to 350 or such, so that could also be a good contender.

And just another 'btw', you mentioned the 770, that's a closed headphone and its bass will also be significantly different than just any open headphone, be it the Senn 598, 6xx, AKG Q701 or 7xx, etc., so if you're not used to 'good' open headphones this would also give you another experience, in my earlier linked post I described Q701 vs 400i, and honestly, un-EQ'd, I'd think most would likely say that the Q701 has 'better' bass than 400i because most people cannot tell good bass from bad bass, and confuse a mid bass hump or boosted bass with better bass; since it often gives the impression of more (bigger) bass, and even more 'solid' ass... I think also there might be something about bass distortion from a dynamic driver adding some 'weight'... Anyway... But yeah, coming from 770 which has a ton of bass, I think you might be a bit disappointed if you expect any such bass quantity or 'weight' from a planar.

770:
upload_2019-3-28_20-37-16.png

400i:

upload_2019-3-28_20-37-52.png

But hey, I think you mentioned like $500, Senn 6xx + AKG 7xx + HFM 4xx total $560. :p

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #26 of 59
Looking for some planar magnetics since i hear that their bass is usually superior.
Please do let us know what you decide on. I don't want you to get the impression that planar bass is no good. It just depends on the type of bass you are wanting, if you are wanting earth-shattering, head-banging, pounding levels of bass, then dynamics headphones are the only way to go. If you want a warmer, not very deep but very natural and linear bass, with layers of detail, then go for a planar magnetic headphone. If you're lucky you'll find a dynamic headphone that is good at both, but a planar magnetic is like a one trick pony.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 59
Please do let us know what you decide on. I don't want you to get the impression that planar bass is no good. It just depends on the type of bass you are wanting, if you are wanting earth-shattering, head-banging, pounding levels of bass, then dynamics headphones are the only way to go. If you want a warmer, not very deep but very natural and linear bass, with layers of detail, then go for a planar magnetic headphone. If you're lucky you'll find a dynamic headphone that is good at both, but a planar magnetic is like a one trick pony.

I agree with that generally, dynamics beat planars in terms of impact and visceral feel of the bass. But, I disagree that it's "not very deep." If you are talking about bass extension, I have several planars that are linear to 10hz and controlled, detailed, textured, and accurate when they do so. No dynamic headphone I have or have heard matches that, not even close. Really, that is the big draw of planar bass. You might not feel it as much, but you will hear all of it and in all of its glory. There are many tricks to those ponies.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #28 of 59
I agree with that generally, dynamics beat planars in terms of impact and visceral feel of the bass. But, I disagree that it's "not very deep." If you are talking about bass extension, I have several planars that are linear to 10hz and controlled, detailed, textured, and accurate when they do so. No dynamic headphone I have or have heard matches that, not even close. Really, that is the big draw of planar bass. You might not feel it as much, but you will hear all of it and in all of its glory. There are many tricks to those ponies.
Can you hear 10Hz? Fair enough. I personally prefer dynamics for bass but I don't hate planars. Have you heard any of the Fostex TH-X00 or older Denon (the AH-D2000/5000/7000) headphones? I've owned the AH-D2000, AH-D5000 and TH-X00 Purpleheart, I remember doing some tests on them using software and the Denon AH-D5000 registered the lowest bass (14Hz). The thing about the AH-D5000 is that not only is it very flat/linear but also has that subwoofer BOOM that planars can't even hope to achieve.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 59
Spent the past 30 min with them. Still on my head actually. Don't want to take them off. No HiFiMan has done this for me. I've found my Planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back