Planar Magnetic suggestions
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #32 of 59
Fluctuates a lot. I got mine about a month ago for 199.99 (used) off amazon which was actually brand new in box, but the version with fragile yokes. Even if it breaks and even if they charge me for reinforced its still 100% worth the $275. They're damn good headphones as long as you can drive them. Actually I'm just assuming its the yoke one, it is woodgrain/black though.
If it were to fail, if you're in your 1 year warranty just contact us and we would give a free new replacement headband.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 29, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #33 of 59
That would certainly be an incredible deal...! I'm also seeing Price: $595.55

That's why EQs exist! Btw imho, the biggest advantage in the bass of planars is actually the quality of the bass; the detail you can hear in the instruments, for instance; with planar almost be able to the drum body resonate while dynamic would be more like a 'blob'; mushy; blurry sound with no realistic detail. But they likely won't have 'more' bass (as in mid bass bump or just crazy boosted bass à la 990 or others), but they'll likely have better (flatter) bass extension and just better quality bass. You can find a couple of posts arguing here of 400i vs dynamic headphones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-and-discussion.698974/page-816#post-13492713

The 4xx is closer to 400s, and from what I remember reading when looking 400i vs 400s was that the 400i was overall better; with a more solid bass. But, 170 for 4xx though, and I think the 400i was around 250 these days? 230 even maybe? I think they'd all be good choices, with 560 best if you can find a good deal. IMHO, the 560 is a smoother headphone than the 400i, which un-EQ'd can sound a tad bit bright/harsh; still similar sound, owning the 400i and hearing 560, sounded to me like more or less a more refined 400i. And yeah I think I remember reading that the Sundara's 500 price of a couple months ago was down to 350 or such, so that could also be a good contender.

And just another 'btw', you mentioned the 770, that's a closed headphone and its bass will also be significantly different than just any open headphone, be it the Senn 598, 6xx, AKG Q701 or 7xx, etc., so if you're not used to 'good' open headphones this would also give you another experience, in my earlier linked post I described Q701 vs 400i, and honestly, un-EQ'd, I'd think most would likely say that the Q701 has 'better' bass than 400i because most people cannot tell good bass from bad bass, and confuse a mid bass hump or boosted bass with better bass; since it often gives the impression of more (bigger) bass, and even more 'solid' ass... I think also there might be something about bass distortion from a dynamic driver adding some 'weight'... Anyway... But yeah, coming from 770 which has a ton of bass, I think you might be a bit disappointed if you expect any such bass quantity or 'weight' from a planar.

770:

400i:

But hey, I think you mentioned like $500, Senn 6xx + AKG 7xx + HFM 4xx total $560. :p

If you check just now its showing as $329.30 & FREE Shipping on Amazon US from where I am.

Mark

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 29, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #34 of 59
While i love my Hifiman 4XX's for their imaging and clarity, I do agree they lack low end bass without power and EQ.

For my music listening i always go back to my HD650's as, dispite soundstage feeling very close, they have the detail and low end that makes music sing..

The 4xx's were my first Planars and they have answered the "why bother" question with detail and wide staging that i haven't felt from a headphone before. I can easily tell there is more to find with other, more expensive, better tuned headphones that use the same planar built design. I have some Verum One's on pre-order, i look forward to hearing those when they arrive.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #35 of 59
IMO the only advantage dynamic headphones have over planar magnetic one's is the bass and treble is more extended. Dynamic headphones have more presence in the 15-25Hz region and also 15-20KHz region. Otherwise, I would say that planar is better. I recently bought the Fostex TH500RP and it is the second most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard (second only to the Sony MDR7510). However, the only true advantage the MDR7510 has over the TH500RP is deeper bass and more detailed, clearer in the 15-20Khz frequencies.
This is incorrect. Planars have better bass extension than dynamics but more mid bass. It also depends on the planars there is some crap planars and crap dynamics.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #36 of 59
This is incorrect. Planars have better bass extension than dynamics but more mid bass. It also depends on the planars there is some crap planars and crap dynamics.
I'm sorry to disagree, but no - planars do not have better bass extension. Do they have flatter/linear bass? Yes! but do they have lower bass? no! There is no way that a planar magnetic could achieve the level of sub-bass that a dynamic headphone can produce. This is sign of the limitations of the structure of a planar magnetic driver. It is uniform and flat, where as a dynamic driver is 3 dimensional and round, thus capable of reaching the lowest notes.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 59
Can you hear 10Hz? Fair enough. I personally prefer dynamics for bass but I don't hate planars. Have you heard any of the Fostex TH-X00 or older Denon (the AH-D2000/5000/7000) headphones? I've owned the AH-D2000, AH-D5000 and TH-X00 Purpleheart, I remember doing some tests on them using software and the Denon AH-D5000 registered the lowest bass (14Hz). The thing about the AH-D5000 is that not only is it very flat/linear but also has that subwoofer BOOM that planars can't even hope to achieve.

Compared to similar-tier planar, the D5000 is not that linear. It definitely has a hump and roll-off compared to, for example, the LCD-2. Worse, it has tons of distortion in the bass. That's sort of what I was getting at when I said planar bass does better at controlled and accurate sound. Subwoofer boom or distorted flab?

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000B2012.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Classic.pdf

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #38 of 59
I'm sorry to disagree, but no - planars do not have better bass extension. Do they have flatter/linear bass? Yes! but do they have lower bass? no! There is no way that a planar magnetic could achieve the level of sub-bass that a dynamic headphone can produce. This is sign of the limitations of the structure of a planar magnetic driver. It is uniform and flat, where as a dynamic driver is 3 dimensional and round, thus capable of reaching the lowest notes.

Dude, read some measurements. You are simply mistaken on this one.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #39 of 59
Hey guys sorry for not responding lately been kinda busy on my end. So I tried out my coworkers Th-900s and oh my God are they great. I did do some eqing but those headphones were exactly what I was looking for. Although I might not purchase them immediately I still might try otherbtypesoof headphones. I have resllyrbeen eyeing either the 4xx,sundaras, or the tr-xoo.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #40 of 59

Wrong

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #41 of 59
Compared to similar-tier planar, the D5000 is not that linear. It definitely has a hump and roll-off compared to, for example, the LCD-2. Worse, it has tons of distortion in the bass. That's sort of what I was getting at when I said planar bass does better at controlled and accurate sound. Subwoofer boom or distorted flab?

Personally I never paid much attention to graphs, I prefer to use my ears. The LCD2 does show a flatter, more extended response, but the D5000 shows a louder response. So the lower frequencies in the D5000 should stand out more, whilst maintaining a relatively flat/linear response.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #43 of 59
Excellent. Is it just the bass that's making you feel warm and fuzzy?
Not very heavy, the height at the smallest setting on the headband is the biggest issue for people, only slightly/barely for me.

It's a bit more intimate than average for an open back but it's perfect. Mid-range and treble are perfectly done, I'm surprisingly hearing stuff I didn't hear in music before. Mainly the low the mids. I listened to them for a few hours last night. This was all via my zx300 and then my ES100 with Little Bear B4-X. Tried the stock cable and my Meze Balanced cable, gonna buy a dedicated balanced cable soon. Can't wait to put it on my desktop setup (iFi Micro BL and JDS El Amp) today.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #45 of 59

Ah there is that word again! I've noticed that so many Head Fiers use this word to describe something in a headphone that they do not like. When I joined Head-Fi, I must say I thought I was joining a community of people that where extrememely knowledgeable about the subject, but I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back