Planar Magnetic suggestions
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #47 of 59
Here is a little experiment for you to do; get Fostex TH-X00 or TH-900 drivers, put them in an open-back headphone, then compare them to your LCD2, then come back and tell me which headphone has the deepest, most linear, most microscopically accurate bass response. You are in for a surprise!

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #48 of 59
I'm sorry to disagree, but no - planars do not have better bass extension. Do they have flatter/linear bass? Yes! but do they have lower bass? no! There is no way that a planar magnetic could achieve the level of sub-bass that a dynamic headphone can produce. This is sign of the limitations of the structure of a planar magnetic driver. It is uniform and flat, where as a dynamic driver is 3 dimensional and round, thus capable of reaching the lowest notes.

You're confusing mid bass with sub bass lol dynamics due to driver size and design roll off. Planars have more license extension into the sub bass. I've yet to find a headphone with the sub bass of my LCD-2C.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #49 of 59
You're confusing mid bass with sub bass lol dynamics due to driver size and design roll off. Planars have more license extension into the sub bass. I've yet to find a headphone with the sub bass of my LCD-2C.
Have you heard the Fostex TH-X00 headphones?

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #52 of 59
I have a set of E-MU Teaks (based on a modded Fostex driver) that I love. The bass is big, round, deep. It envelops the music in a lovely thumping, without sounding uncontrolled or bloated. You can feel it slamming into the ears. I love that. Nothing else I have recreates that sensation.

That said, it's still not as controlled, accurate, deeply extended, or detailed as the comparably priced 400i.

I also have a set of Focal Clear that currently get more head-time than anything else. That bass is very well-extended, quite detailed, and clean in an amazing way. You can hear every note of the bass, nothing bleeds over to where it shouldn't. Even on bass-heavy electronic music, it's a great listen and hits hard.

That said, it's still not as controlled, accurate, deeply extended, or detailed as the much cheaper 560, or LCD-2. Compared to the comparably price LCD-X, it's still not very close.

Which one you like best is your preference, but planars and dynamics have different characteristics. Some of those differences, like distortion and extension are very easily measured too.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #53 of 59
I just got the LCD-2CB's yesterday and right now I'm driving those through either my Samsung Note 9 :)/) and Surface Book 2 15 inch :))) and they are just awesome. They a tad bright but way more detailed than what my Master and Dynamic MH-40's could ever pull out of a recording, even YouTube music tracks have more verve to the swerve.

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #55 of 59
Of course I do, but I also use my brain to provide my own opinions. Do you?! or do you just insult.

First of all, bass extension is measurable, so it’s not a matter of opinion. Second of all, do you even know what an insult is? Because the last time I checked, I have never called you a bad name. I said you’re wrong, which you are, and then I asked you a question. Several people in here have attempted to point out your misunderstanding of what you’re claiming, and you’re clearly not listening to them.

As @phthora said, there is a difference between preferring a certain amount of sub bass quantity or mid bass quantity and then talking about sub bass extension capabilities. So preferring a certain quantity of bass is subjective and to each their own. But sub bass extension is objectively measurable. And anyone who knows anything about the inherent pros and cons of planar vs dynamic, knows that a good planar obliterates any dynamic headphone in terms of bass extension. It’s not even a close battle.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #56 of 59
Unfortunately I don't currently have the equipment to measure a frequency response of my TH500RP that has TH-X00 Purpleheart drivers, but here is a FR measurement of the $1,900 Fostex TH909. The TH909 is the green line (the yellow one is a Sennheiser HD800). Check out how linear that bass response is! :beyersmile:
zt6g79.jpg

11qtith.jpg

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/bass-head-heaven-fostex-th909-review

Mar 29, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #57 of 59
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #59 of 59
Have you heard the Fostex TH-X00 headphones?
Yes, owned a set for over a year. Bombastic bass. Hardly any low bass. Hfm he-6, ananda, HEX v2, and lcd2 and lcd3 all produce more 'sub' bass and more linear bass than either the xoo mahogany or ebony nor do they break up as badly with very loud and/or complex input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back