Placebo/Snake oil reigns supreme!
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it me, or is there more talk on questionable tweaks on these forums these days?
This is a shame as a lot of the impressions and reviews i read on this site i hold in high regard (certainly much more than other info available on the net). and the few that claim huge improvements due to (insert diabolical claim here) drag the site down somewhat.

is this a case of diminishing returns to the extreme? do a few eccentrics have extraordinary hearing abilities? or are we being fed utter bull?

thank goodness for common sense.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 46
I agree with you and for the most part I take everything I read here with a grain of salt. As the forum grows larger more people feel comfortable posting opinions on improvements they believe they hear. I also believe a large portion of the population is susceptible to being influenced by placebo. I see it all around me all of the time but people here tend to be more vocal, credit the anonymity of e-correspondence, I don't know.

Tweaking your system is very appealing because, if it works, you invest very little money for big sonic benefits. It is an ancient marketing concept. Usually the tiny investments don't work and if you totaled up all the money spent on all these unsuccessful experiments, you would have been better off purchasing outright a better source /cdp or headphones.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it me, or is there more talk on questionable tweaks on these forums these days?

I don't know if there's more, but you're not the only on that finds some of the claims a little iffy.

But it's a slippery slope with no space for a clear line. Even though I don't believe in "tweaks" per se, I don't see how it degrades forums.

We're all big boys and girls here. In other words, anyone reading about a tweak can decide for themselves whether to believe it or not.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 46
My dad insists it makes a difference
biggrin.gif

p1070128largegu7.jpg

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Studies have shown that the consumption of pretzels and scotch can increase perceived soundstage. [size=xx-small]And cause explosive diarreah.[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is making my nipples raw.
blink.gif

Explosive diarreah and raw nipples...finally folks in this forum are discussing pertinent issues!!!
tongue.gif

I think some tweaks are good and some are B.S.....but then again, I'm just saying this so Jude doesn't delete my post!

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this a case of diminishing returns to the extreme? do a few eccentrics have extraordinary hearing abilities? or are we being fed utter bull?

thank goodness for common sense.

With my first 2 upgrades (soundcard and amp) I couldn't hear a difference while others could. That makes my hearing worse than the average audiophile. With my 3rd upgrade (from HD590 to K501) I made myself believe there was a difference so I wouldn't get disappointed again. With the 4th and 5th upgrade I did the same, then I just kept on going!
basshead.gif
I have made myself believe tweaking gives huge improvements because then I have something to do all day. I have also made myself believe that my blind tests really happened, but it's all in my mind.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found my blind test video and realized it was all real!

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 46
Damn your wide pictures stretching out threads and forcing horizontal scrolling...damn them to hell!

This reminds me of a a SIG (special interest group) in Mensa called 'ordinary Mensans' or something to that effect. Their manifesto is basically something along the lines of, "We are Mensan's who are normal, and aren't overly impressed with our own intelligence or ability to memorize mountains of useless facts and trivia."

Basically, you can be smart without being a smart ass.

I find myself in the same place in the audio world. At some point you really have to draw a line. Even if I had millions of dollars I wouldn't go any further down the audio path. My system dominates anyone I'm likely to ever meet in day to day life. It's already excessive. I don't need 15 different cans or magical power cables.

I think most crazy tweaks are well intentioned, but taken to the extremes of reason. I think good cables can improve sound over the RCAs that came with your VCR from 1987, but I don't think $500 cables will do a thing better than $50 cables. I think room acoustics do matter, but if you go nuts soundproofing and turn your room into a dark box with equipment all over the place with a lone chair in the middle you're a freak who probably doesn't have many friends
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad insists it makes a difference
biggrin.gif

p1070128largegu7.jpg

you should make em cups made from ERS paper
then you'd be in business

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love it! I own stock in Dixie Cup!
biggrin.gif

Are you sure that it is Dixie Cup? It may be a different brand with different damping characteristics or a little higher off-set from the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back