PK1 in a quiet room > Triple.Fi?
Apr 24, 2008 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MarcusL

100+ Head-Fier
Apples and oranges, I know. But I've been reading the Yuin Pk1 impressions and these little buds seem to be real killers. And cheap at that. I was wondering though, in a quiet listening environment, do these buds really defeat the UE Triple.Fi sq? Especially in the mids department? Too good to be true.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 17
Running from my desktop amp, PK1 are indeed better than TF10.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 17
Apples and oranges - nonsense. Every time I hear this I shed a tear. You can compare the PK1 (or any earbud) to any headphone or IEM out there (and it will usually come out on top).

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 17
See here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/yui...thread-227027/

Not easy to drive. Some report good performance without amp, but they really shine with one.

I'll soon know how they compare sound-wise to some custom SuperFreqs. Obviously, the isolation is/will be apples to oranges. Being earbuds, the PK1 do sound best in a quiet room.

I would say they are good for all kinds of music -- except maybe ultra-bass-heavy stuff. The PK1's presentation skews a bit more to the mids and highs. For me, this may be because my other headphone is the HD-650.

Sorry I can't be more specific... the PK1 is my work earphone, so I don't have too much time for analysis. Just work and toe-tapping.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 17
That's strange, I've always found the PK1 quite bass heavy. What most peope here would call "bloated". Then again, I get a very good seal with my large ear canals. It's wonderfully defined bass though. Can't get enough of it. Haven't picked up a full size phone in a while...

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well keep in mind: UE= over rated.

rolleyes.gif

Hey! You're almost as old as me!

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 17
To clarify: I'm never lacking in bass with the PK1. I don't listen to much thumping bass, and am not a bass-head. That said, if you had to describe the signature of the PK1 as neutral, bright or dark, I (personally) would say bright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange, I've always found the PK1 quite bass heavy. What most peope here would call "bloated". Then again, I get a very good seal with my large ear canals. It's wonderfully defined bass though. Can't get enough of it. Haven't picked up a full size phone in a while...

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To clarify: I'm never lacking in bass with the PK1. I don't listen to much thumping bass, and am not a bass-head. That said, if you had to describe the signature of the PK1 as neutral, bright or dark, I (personally) would say bright.

Interesting. I noticed that when I let some of my friends listen to it (I'm a basshead - they aren't bassheads) they said that it had no bass. Anyway, I suspect that this has everything to with with the seal that one gets, and the shape of one's ear canals, even though they're only earbuds. For example, I need to use two foam pads on my left ear so that the bass on both channels sounds equal (my ears are fine, they are equal with full size headphones).

To my ears, I'd definitely describe them as bassy and on the neutral side of bright (nowhere near bright).

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 17
have PK1 and had UE TFP10 Pro, IMO SQ wise,unamped TFP wins, but when amped PK1 almost tied with TFP, PK1 is more comfortable though

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 17
imo, pk1 in a quiet room with a good source and amp is pretty close to magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back