Pittsburgh, PA Meet Dec. 19th
Dec 21, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #31 of 46
These sound awesome. They seem to be the answer I've been searching for. Do you guys think they'd be a synergistic fit for my home rig(see my sig) or should I just stick with the HD650+Zu Mobius?

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #32 of 46
My Impressions from the Meet:

Amps:

I was really impressed with the Melos and HD300, the HD300 reminded me of my MPX3 but it was a lot smoother and fuller sounding a very addictive sound without a doubt. The Melos had loads of power, very strong bass and midrange maybe a little rolled off in the high-end but definetly a stellar amp.

Headphones:

I liked the HD650's they have another level of refinement above the 600's but I don't really think they're worth it at almost twice what the 600s can be found for these days.

The AKG 501's were a very pleasant surprise, I had never heard them before but I was very impressed. The mid range is oh so smooth I think it might be better than the HD 600s and their treble is definetly a step up from the 600's. They do struggle in the bass regions, but when I listened to them out of the HD300 the bass really filled in. I think they are really underrated headphones and are a great deal for their price.

The thing I was most looking forward to about this meet was compairing my Hybrid CD3k's with HP1k drivers to a stock pair of HP-1's. The HP-1s really do deserve their reputation of being detailed and accurate. The mid-range is really good vocals sound "right" on them and unlike the more modern grado's the treble is not bright at all. The one real dissappointed for me with these was the soundstage, imaging is very accurate but the soundstage is really narrow. The stock HP-1's may have a touch more detail then my hybrid cd3k's but they have superior soundstage to the stock HP-1's and a slightly relaxed sound that I tend to prefer.

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
These sound awesome. They seem to be the answer I've been searching for. Do you guys think they'd be a synergistic fit for my home rig(see my sig) or should I just stick with the HD650+Zu Mobius?

You may miss the impact and snap of the HD-650 + Mobius...the CD3KHP1K is very very smooth...natural and speaker like but it lacks pRat.

I want one
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
You may miss the impact and snap of the HD-650 + Mobius...the CD3KHP1K is very very smooth...natural and speaker like but it lacks pRat.

I want one
very_evil_smiley.gif

"pRat"?? That's a foreign term to me. What's does it mean??
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerSandwich

As Thaddy mentioned, we compared the 580s and 600s with A Perfect Circle. He neglected to mention that I added my Grado 225s after a few minutes. While I preferred them (no surprise), I'd swear I saw his jaw drop. In a good way. Thaddy?

Yeah, that was a good jaw drop
smily_headphones1.gif
I hadn't much experience with Grado's in the past, and I had just gotten done listening to the CD3K/HP1's, followed by the HD650 and HD580 comparo with Hammer. He handed me some 225's and said, "Try these out!" So, you can imagine my surprise when I put on some <$200 cans and continued to be wowed. I was very impressed with the sound, however I don't think I'd even own a set of Grado's. I'm more of a Senn guy. Boy, I can listen to these HD580's for hours at a time, and I got that same feeling from the HD650's.

Dec 21, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
"pRat"?? That's a foreign term to me. What's does it mean??
confused.gif

Pace, Rhythm and Timing. Something a solid state amp has in spades. Not just speed but everything being spot on, not smeared/smudgy.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Pace, Rhythm and Timing. Something a solid state amp has in spades. Not just speed but everything being spot on, not smeared/smudgy.

Thank you, sir! My education continues!

Dec 21, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #39 of 46
Looks like a good time was had by all...

I'll catch the next one, had too much was going on this weekend. The weather wasn't too great to boot I'm sure you guys would agree.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #40 of 46
It just dawned on me that I completely forgot to listen to tkam's CD3000 "woodies"/PPA/Maverick set-up!
blink.gif
I'm kicking myself in the arse for my oversight on that one.
frown.gif
Hopefully I'll get a second chance in the summer.
3000smile.gif
Fortunately I did "remember" to check out the CD3000/HP1000 hybrid along w/ HammerSandwich's Melos long enough to get a very positive impression, what an awesome combo! Would have also liked to have auditioned Kikkoman's HD595's while I was there as well. It was great to meet, and do some "shop talk" with guys like Jose, gs, tkam, Thaddy, and the "new guy" Hammer. In all, a very enjoyable experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #42 of 46
A few other things worth mentioning;

gsferrari's SR-71; to tell you the truth I wasn't expecting to be very impressed, but boy was I wrong! The SR-71 was as good a sounding SS amp as I heard that day. This little amp ROCKS! Fit and finish is absolutely superb, and sounds alot BIGGER than it's diminutive size would suggest. Will definitely be my amp of choice when I do my portable rig.

A couple other pleasant surprises were the Porta Pro's and the PX-100's. Definitely worthy contenders for those on a tight budget. I would be quite happy with either one of these cans for portable use.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
I wonder how a CD3K with PS-1 drivers would sound?

What this mod does take away is PRAT and impact...replaces it with a lush midrange and sugary sweetness. I think pairing the modded headphone with a tube amp will be taking things too far.

The PS1's (compared to the HP1/2) is already a lot more lush sounding without a lack of PRAT...Im not sure if the mod will be a good idea - but it can be done, tested and reversed if you just want to give it a shot...

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
What this mod does take away is PRAT and impact...replaces it with a lush midrange and sugary sweetness. I think pairing the modded headphone with a tube amp will be taking things too far.

The PS1's (compared to the HP1/2) is already a lot more lush sounding without a lack of PRAT...Im not sure if the mod will be a good idea - but it can be done, tested and reversed if you just want to give it a shot...

For what I remeber of the Grado PS-1 lush is a unknown word for them... not the same fot the old HP series. (Just my two cents).

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back