Pittsburgh, PA Meet Dec. 19th
Dec 20, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I want to know how many times Guru told people to be quiet

This crowd was young and well behaved. Some of you geriatric florida "mature" oldies are too rowdy for your own good...you need someone like me to keep you guys in line
tongue.gif
LOLLERS!!!

For the record - the FL rowdy attitude rubbed off on me and I ended up doing most of the talking...I think I scared some of the guys
eek.gif

ROTFLMFAO
orphsmile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

It's nice to see that my old Eddie Current HD300 is still looking good.

And sounding good too.
biggrin.gif
I don't think you even had it long enough to allow it to be fully burned-in, but I was more than happy to take it off your hands and finish what you started.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
I guess the biggest surprise for me is how versatile the HD300 was. I thought it sounded pretty awesome with the K501's, headphones I had pretty much written off from my experience of them with the MG-Head OTL. The HD300 really brought them to life, and added some much needed bass to go along with that sweet airy midrange, and wide soundstage. I was also impressed with the DT770's (my 1st experience with Beyerdynamic). Maybe a little too bass-heavy for my tastes, but suspect that the DT880's I just ordered will be an exellent match for the HD300 as well.

Will post impressions of other headphone/amp/source combo's later.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #18 of 46
That second video was great GS, hopefully others can successfully perform the "Hoodie Mod" on the Floats. I really feel it brought out many good characteristics that usually go unnoticed
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I was really glad I got to spend some time with that next level of equipment. Boy, the Music hall and Marantz CDP's really made me realize what I'm missing. Even the Cambridge, I'm going to keep my eye out for those this summer, that is one sweet CD player for under $500.

I really took a lot out of this meet. For one, I have a pretty good idea of how I'd like to make upgrades over the future. The 650's sounded pretty nice out of my AV710 and PPA, however they took on a whole new sound with tkam's Music Hall and PPA (with GM buffers and STEPS). To me, I think my PPA is going to get the Glassman/STEPS treatment in the future, as well as some HD650's to drive! I wish I could have heard tkam's PPA with GS's Jose's Cambridge, since that could be a potential home source for me in the future.

Myself and Hammer spent some time A/B'ing my HD580's (nylon mod, Oehlbach's) with GS's HD650's (Oehlbach's) and even though the differences didn't shock me, I was still impressed. GS told me they were well burned in, which was also good. I had a feeling the 650's would just take the house HD580 sound that most of us know, and simply improve upon that. This is exactly what I heard! We listening to A Perfect Circle's "Gravity", out of GlowWorm's Marantz CD player and GS's Gilmore Vs with dual outputs. We both pretty much agreed while the delicate symbols in the intro sounded very similar, the differences were most apparent when the song picked up and more instruments were introduced. So now that I've heard that good difference, I'm craving the HD650's
600smile.gif

One area of dissapointment however was the Sony CD3000 Woody's. I listened to these out of GS's Gilmore V2 and was not impressed at all. For a headphone that gets that much publicity, I am definately proud to be a member of Team Sennheiser
600smile.gif

One last thing I'd like to toss out there would be my standout performers at this meet. There was a lot of good equipment here, but my vote has to go to the SD-3950 -> Melos SHA-1 -> CD3K/HP1000. Myself and Hammer spent time again with these hybrid's and the stock HP1000's, and were both floored by the differrences. Personally, I felt this setup had incredible synergy. This is the way music should be heard, no if's, ands, or buts! I didn't get to spend as much time with the other assortment of amps and cd sources, but I can only imagine what a nicer source (SACD even!) could add. So fellow Head-Fi'ers, reach deep into your pockets and make Larry a busy man, these are the real deal in my book.

edit: Crap! I totally forgot to mention some thoughts on GlowWorm's HD300! I was pretty skeptical before plugging my 580's into this amp, as I've never heard the tube sound before. Boy I was in for a treat! I've never heard a low end so resolved and accurate. I think I could literally spend 6-7 hours with the amp and anything from the Sennheiser lineup. If I ever get in the market for a tube amp, this gets first priority on my list. I was very impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

edit 2: Mods, I think that "Founder of the Hoodie-Fi" would be an appropriate title for when Ii reach that certain post count
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 46
Wow great impressions guys! Two comments -

I see a MS-2 in the pics - no one gave them a go?

Melos is the bassiest damned amp i ever heard. Thumbs up!

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 46
I got to the meet today and had the same thing happen 6 times:

"Hi, who are you?"

"HammerSandwich."

<blank stare>

Predictable for a lurker I suppose, but I should give a little intro. I've been into hi-fi for ~15 years. I listen to a lot of jazz, blues, older rock, etc. Generally, I prefer to compare slowly and keep gear for a long, loooong time. Headphones are an accessory more than a way of life for me <runs!>, and my main reference is a pair of Dunlavy SC-IVs powered by a Pass Aleph 3. The Pass was my last major upgrade, in 1998.

On to the gear I took to the meet. My headphone setup is a 1993, 3-input Melos SHA 1 (bone-stock with mid-90s Sovteks and Pearl tube coolers) driving the Grado SR-200s I bought in early 1994. I had Grado recable them in '97 or so, and they now say "SR-225." Did they replace the buttons or give me different drivers/cans? Beats me... Obviously, I like both items to keep them so long. The Melos is clean, controlled, and dynamic. Bass is very taut, though maybe a little too generous. I have no complaints about the treble quality or extension, and the amp provides loads of detail without emphasizing it or ramming it down your throat. I'd say just about the same things for the 225s. The bass extension isn't quite as low as you might like, and it may be a little boosted to compensate. Perhaps there are a few response ripples in the lower treble, but the overall balance is exceptional. The 225s have a reputation as a killer phone for rock, but I've always enjoyed them on sparse acoustic material as well. Perhaps the newer 225s (uh, I think that's ALL of them...) aren't the same, but the music just sings through these phones. Especially with the Melos. Oh - I've had no comfort problems after tweaking the headband and changing to bowl pads.

BTW, I realize that I have a heavy Melos/Grado background and that I'm probably biased against anything that sounds much different. I've tried to describe accurately what I heard at the meet, but my value judgements are REAL subjective. And this is why I'm particularly curious to hear other opinions about the gear I brought and know best. I haven't seen too many comments on the 225s, hint, hint.

In addition to the 225s and Melos, I brought an older Headroom Max and Grado HP2s on loan from Headless. Great equipment. The Max will drive anything with precision and clean detail. It strikes me as neutral, virtually characterless. I wonder if the Melos might match this sound with just the right tubes. The HP2s are fantastic. These take what my 225s do well but somehow manage to be smoother and more extended. While the HP2s offer detail, detail, and more detail; acoustic instruments have the proper balance and timbres. I can easily understand why HP1000 prices have been rising.

IMO, neither the SHA nor the Max were significantly bettered by the other amps I tried. To answer GS: I suspect the Melos gets less respect because it's older and Melos is gone. The MG Head OTL didn't do a lot for me - typically tube in the negative ways, with trouble driving the phones properly. tkam's tweaked-out PPA was very clear, balanced, and punchy; and it worked beautifully with all the phones I tried on it. Same for GlowWorm's HD300. That's an affordable OTL amp that doesn't have the negatives of tubes from what I heard. The HD300 may not have quite the extension of the SS amps, but it doesn't hurt the signal in any way I noticed. I didn't spend enough time with the other amps to judge them.

My previous impressions of Sennheisers were confirmed. The 580s, 600, and 650s are incredibly similar, with good timbres but slightly soft dynamics and a brightish tilt. The treble quality is excellent, but it seems boosted with cymbals out in front of the mix. Yes, treble CAN be smooth and bright at the same time... The 595s have the family resemblance, but a bit less-involving sound. I didn't find them offensive in any way, but I only listened to them on tubes. All Senns offer supreme comfort. The treble lift is my only real complaint about Senns, and I could live happily with any of them. The 580s are the best value of the bunch IMO.

As Thaddy mentioned, we compared the 580s and 600s with A Perfect Circle. He neglected to mention that I added my Grado 225s after a few minutes. While I preferred them (no surprise), I'd swear I saw his jaw drop. In a good way. Thaddy?

The Beyer 770s are truly wretched: the bass overwhelms anything they might do right. These were designed by a 14-year-old boy who once heard a Cerwin-Vega sub cranked up to 11 and thought, "AWESOME!!!"

AKG 501s offer a lot of value. I didn't compare them directly with the Senns, but they struck me as similar. Smooth sound with good extension and a lean/bright balance. I could be happy with them long-term, but they're not exactly my cup of tea. I should've tried the 501s with the Melos. Did anyone listen to that pairing? I'd need more time to choose between these and the 580s. The 501s are a better value than the 600s or 650s.

I didn't get much time with the Shure E5Cs, and probably never found the best seal. They do have real potential though. Bass was perhaps light (the seal issue), though quality was just fine. They struck me as pretty balanced, with a very punchy, immediate presentation. I could get used to these, especially for portable use.

The woody Sony CD3000s have great frequency extension but a washed-out midrange. In addition, everything seems affected by the cavity resonance, but I'm guessing here. For people who haven't heard great phones, these would be revelatory. They just don't get up there with the better Senns and Grados. These phones might please an objectivist (The bass! The treble!), but they suck the soul out of the music.

Finally, without question, the woody CD3k/HP1000 Frankenphones were the real deal and then some. I cannot imagine WHY these work well, since the concept butchers both Sony's and Grado's engineering. But they do. Imagine the HP2s with a FAR smoother sound. Frequency balance is just about perfect, perhaps a bit warm and mellow. There's no significant sacrifice in detail or frequency extension (in fact, the bass may go lower). Impact and snap are a bit less, but these cans present music where HP2s shout at the listener. Sensitivity is a lot lower than the HP2s as well, probably because the drivers are farther from your ears. Soundstaging is as good as anything out there. If you made a list of everything you like best about Grados and Senns, these cans cover ALL the bases. This is a detailed, extended headphone with the relaxed, foot-tapping presentation that makes you forget about the equipment. I could - and want to - listen to these all day. The only bad thing I can say about these cans is that I can't afford a pair right now.

Well, that was a monster first post. Thanks to Thaddy for hosting and to the other Head-Fiers for bringing so much great gear and being good guys.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #21 of 46
Some people might wonder why I didn't comment on the sound of the Floats. Well, there's a reason for that: I didn't try them. I don't know WHO that is in GS' picture, but it sure ain't ME.

Anyone have a problem with that?

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
Some people might wonder why I didn't comment on the sound of the Floats. Well, there's a reason for that: I didn't try them. I don't know WHO that is in GS' picture, but it sure ain't ME.

Anyone have a problem with that?

Wait a minute...who are you again
confused.gif

eggosmile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
And sounding good too.
biggrin.gif
I don't think you even had it long enough to allow it to be fully burned-in, but I was more than happy to take it off your hands and finish what you started.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
I guess the biggest surprise for me is how versatile the HD300 was. I thought it sounded pretty awesome with the K501's, headphones I had pretty much written off from my experience of them with the MG-Head OTL. The HD300 really brought them to life, and added some much needed bass to go along with that sweet airy midrange, and wide soundstage. I was also impressed with the DT770's (my 1st experience with Beyerdynamic). Maybe a little too bass-heavy for my tastes, but suspect that the DT880's I just ordered will be an exellent match for the HD300 as well.

Will post impressions of other headphone/amp/source combo's later.

I am glad your enjoying it. If that amp is still burning in then it takes a lot of hours as I had 300 plus on it myself. It is a sweet sounding amp and does best the PPX3 with high impedence cans. You should hear the Eddie Current 2A3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
This crowd was young and well behaved. Some of you geriatric florida "mature" oldies are too rowdy for your own good...you need someone like me to keep you guys in line LOLLERS!!!

For the record - the FL rowdy attitude rubbed off on me and I ended up doing most of the talking...I think I scared some of the guys

If only the young ones at the South Florida meet were so well behaved. Maybe us adults would have been able to talk a bit more and listening to some sweet speakers without the, "please be quiet" constantly.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

I am glad your enjoying it. If that amp is still burning in then it takes a lot of hours as I had 300 plus on it myself. It is a sweet sounding amp and does best the PPX3 with high impedence cans. You should hear the Eddie Current 2A3.

I love this amp, and it has raised the level of musical enjoyment for me quite a bit. I think the HD300 takes a really long time to burn-in, and it just keeps getting better all the time. I can only imagine how awesome your 2A3 sounds *drool*. O.K. enough of tooting my own horn, here are some further impressions of the Pgh. meet yesterday;

Thaddy's PPA/Chaintech combo;

I used the HD650's with his PPA, and found it to be fast, and remarkably uncolored, definitely no rolled-off treble here! I would not mind at all having a PPA laying around for those times when I'm in a "metal mood".
wink.gif

Jose Perez' MG-Head OTL-H/Cambridge Audio Azure 640C combo;

Being a "tube guy" I liked this set-up alot w/ the HD650's. The OTL-H is definitely on the lush side, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I liked the OTL-H alot more than the standard MG-Head OTL that I used to have, which I found to sound too much like a SS amp. The OTL-H would be a great amp for those relaxed late night listening sessions. His Azure 640C was equally impressive. Looks and sounds like a much more expensive CDP than the price would indicate. Will try to pick-up one myself once my wallet recovers from recent purchases.
frown.gif

gsferrari's HP1/Gilmore V2/Sony 222 ES combo;

Another winner! I'm not a huge Grado fan per say, but I was impressed with how the HP1's sounded with the V2. Lover's of fine details will be absolutely floored by this combo. The HP1's were also by far the most beautiful headphones at the meet. I enjoyed picking gs's brain some because he is alot more experienced and knowlegable in regards to different headphone/amp combo's than I. You can learn alot from listening to guys like him. In fact I probably learned more in those 4 hours at Thaddy's, then I did in the previous 2 years as a Head-Fi member.
wink.gif

More impressions forthcoming.

Dec 20, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 46
Sounds like you guys had a nice meet! I feel cold looking out the window though... Always fun to put names to pics and the videos are a nice bonus. A bit of a deja vu to see tkam's cans that most all spent some time with here... Sounds like the hybrid got a lot of attention, I know I love my pair
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerSandwich
Finally, without question, the woody CD3k/HP1000 Frankenphones were the real deal and then some. I cannot imagine WHY these work well, since the concept butchers both Sony's and Grado's engineering. But they do. Imagine the HP2s with a FAR smoother sound. Frequency balance is just about perfect, perhaps a bit warm and mellow. There's no significant sacrifice in detail or frequency extension (in fact, the bass may go lower). Impact and snap are a bit less, but these cans present music where HP2s shout at the listener. Sensitivity is a lot lower than the HP2s as well, probably because the drivers are farther from your ears. Soundstaging is as good as anything out there. If you made a list of everything you like best about Grados and Senns, these cans cover ALL the bases. This is a detailed, extended headphone with the relaxed, foot-tapping presentation that makes you forget about the equipment. I could - and want to - listen to these all day. The only bad thing I can say about these cans is that I can't afford a pair right now.

I don't mind butchering engineering for the quest of better sound, and that usually engineering is based more on cost than sound. This was the intention of these cans; CD3K looks and comfort, angled drivers for better soundstage, a combo of open and closed to create more soundstage and a bit of lush flavor. A can that can be worn without fatigue and listened to all night/day.

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777

I don't mind butchering engineering for the quest of better sound, and that usually engineering is based more on cost than sound. This was the intention of these cans; CD3K looks and comfort, angled drivers for better soundstage, a combo of open and closed to create more soundstage and a bit of lush flavor. A can that can be worn without fatigue and listened to all night/day.

Well I must say Larry, you've certainly accomplished that goal!

Dec 20, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 46
Thanks for the impressions guys.

The woody CD3k/HP1000 Frankenphones are definitly a piece of art. When I think about it, it seems like a > $1000 investment since you have to acquire the stock HP1000 and CD3K and then basically gut them plus labor. That's pretty expensive for a sound you don't know how it'd come out. I wonder how a driver from a cheaper grado would work in this.

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 46
very interesting impressions guys. I'm especially kicking myself for missing the chance to hear the hp-2/melos. I'm familiar with the hp-1/v2 combo, and it'd be interesting to compare the two. I'm out of headphones at the moment (sold the v2/sr200s), but if we have a meet during the summer, I'll be able to bring my rega planet 2k/homebuilt mb0W1 speakers around :).

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejpw
very interesting impressions guys. I'm especially kicking myself for missing the chance to hear the hp-2/melos. I'm familiar with the hp-1/v2 combo, and it'd be interesting to compare the two. I'm out of headphones at the moment (sold the v2/sr200s), but if we have a meet during the summer, I'll be able to bring my rega planet 2k/homebuilt mb0W1 speakers around :).

HP1/2 + Melos kicks HP1/2 + V2 Butt
frown.gif

Now I cant wait to finish my Dynahi...the Melos was quite a shock to me...

Dec 21, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 46
heh, from everything I've heard/read, I expected that. Nevertheless, the v2/sr200 combo really does have a magical synergy to them. I don't think there is a better combo for the price. I got to the point where the only logical step up was stax for me.

Mmm Dynahi. . . I do have some boards layin' around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back