Pittsburgh HeadPhile Meet!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #17 of 183
All,
I'm gonna make Twitter posts with the #Headphile. Impressions, hello's to peeps if they come (or should be head-fi'ers), and hopefully we can network up more people for this meet and future ones! Just search twitter for #Headphile

Bull pride,
Drat man! Well, I'm here now and till rush hour clears up, and again tomorrow and Sunday (though I think I've gotta cut out a little early Sunday, bachelor party). Did you at least hook up your balanced cable to some of the balanced amps here? The Questyle is a beast!

Uhhmike,
I got to hear the Zenith PMx2 at RMAF last year, but Oppo is a direct distributor and I haven't bought a pair from Alex (of Zenith) myself. There's certainly a ton of other stuff to try out besides, and I'd love to talk to you in person about the PMx2 and the EQ stuff.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #18 of 183
Impressions! Making twitter posts, search for #Headphile.

Chord Mojo

This was one of those things that was different in person than I imagined from what I read. I admit that I mostly just heard hype, that it's portable, and had funny colored light balls for buttons. All that was true, but it was smaller (and heavier!) than expected. The colors ARE unique but IMO quite cool (the volume buttons change colors based on the volume setting, the power button changes color based on what kind of source you use, no lights that I saw to indicate charging status), and the balls themselves are not glass or an evenly diffuse plastic... but rather, they're like tiny extra-thick ping-pong balls. The balls spin a little if you try, and (maybe because it was a used demo piece) the light shining through it had a kind of webby shadow from uneven light diffusion. That's honestly hard to explain, but I'd say it merits clicking on the pic to see the enlarged version. I was also surprised that it not only had a (micro) USB input (the trapezoid shape in DS4 controllers and most current android phones), but also another separate micro USB for charging, two headphone output jacks (made A/B comparisons easy!!), Coax input, and an optical input. It also has four little rubber-bubble feet to stand on!

Sound-wise it was a clear and fun upgrade. Very noticeable, and addicting. If you like to enjoy your music (yeah?), then this will be a great all-purpose piece of gear that sounds like a desktop. Highly recommended.

Focal Listen
I'm loving these Focal (pronounced Fo-Cal) Listen headphones, and they have a removable headphone cable.

Good closed headphone contender for $300! My bald spot wishes for more headband padding, but the Earpads are actually pretty plush and feel great for closed headphones, good isolation and I bet that the pads get even more comfy as they break in. Would totally pick these over Oppo PM-3 which I felt were a little too mild on the bass.

You guys think this might work with the BoomPro? I don't have a BoomPro, but I feel like the cut out towards the front would help:

Here's the Listen with the "wrong" end of the standard V-Moda cable plugged in. Maybe since the 45° connector fits, more chance for the BoomPro cable?

Interesting side note: the Listen's cable also has a 45° plug for the input side. And shiny chrome! Doing side by side comparisons to the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, totally blows it away for the $100 price difference, difference between bass blobs and actually sounding like a bass instrument on Daft Punk's "Motherboard." The DT770 Pro (32 Ohm) sounds better than the COP for about the same price (but the build quality is super cheap).
------

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 183
Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro (250 Ohms)

Product features state "Brilliant highs and warm bass offer a perfect sound profile unmatched by any other headphones of their kind." Let's see... hooked up to the Questyle CMA600i.

WOAH!!! No really WOOOOOAH!!! Ok, so last night I was using a Mojo for awhile, but the battery died before I could use the DT1770 Pro, and I was a little less than impressed straight out of my iPhone 6S. Today, with the CMA600i (no battery worries, LMAO!), I listened to a percussive test track, with bass drums, hand-slapped drums (bongos?), cymbals, something with a brief crisp snap like the sound of a spark... the low notes indeed were warm, but very controlled and had that "real instrument" feeling. That snap had a very powerful, "fast" crisp leading edge and didn't bloom out any longer than the echo within the acoustic room. The highs were also crisp, but less fatiguing than the DT770 Pro 32 Ohm. The DT1770 was also a bit more engaging and fun, I think the mids are more in line with the rest of the frequencies. It's worth pointing out though, the Questyle CMA600i really REALLY brought out amazing performances from these two!

Questyle CMA600i

$1300 of truly stunning performance. I've read about this before, had a good time with some Questyle products last year at RMAF, but DAMN this is one fine AMP/DAC!

Focal Utopia

Enigma Acoustics Dharma headphone and Athena amp

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #22 of 183
I am really interested to hear what the Questyle CMA600i can do. Been hearing good things about it from others on here

Ah, dude, it's like the great equalizer. Any impedance issues for a headphone are erased, and reveal a good insight into the max potential or at least the near top potential of whatever headphone you put into it. I mean, there are other super great amps and DACs, it's just the Questyle does something unique and sounds really really good. You shouldn't skimp the chance to hear a Mojo too, though!

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #23 of 183
[/IMG]

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 183
Stopped by the store since I was in the area and found out that they recently got the new Enigma Acoustics Athena A1 amp. Had to try it out with the Dharma's! Didn't get a lot of head time with it since I had to go to work but it did get me to smile. I'm split between the Dharmas and the Elear right now for my next headphone. Got a shot of the Utopia since I was there... beautiful can

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #28 of 183
Oh the Dharma eh? What happened to the Omni? Too close to what you already have?
:wink:

Dude the Dharma threw me for a loop... I was really impressed by it. From reading reviews about the Elear and how you described it, I figured that it would be right up my alley (which it is). Then I go to music to my ears and demo the Elear and it is spot on with my tatstes. I then try the Dharma out and honestly paused mid listen and thought "wow I didn't see that coming". The highs and mids are fantastic on the Dharma. The bass is good and doesn't leave anything for me to be desired. It's different from the Elear in a lot of ways but in the end it's just preference. For me, I would be completely content having either. I need some more head time to figure out what matters most for me and then I will go from them. In regards to the Omni I wish I could have heard one! But since I can actively demo both cans at Music to my ear with my own gear, I like knowing exactly what to buy without there being any surpises. So that's where I am at!

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #29 of 183
Well, the Dharma does pretty much everything well, but IMO it does imaging and soundstage EXCEPTIONALLY well. That treble is special, but it is also a little more "highlighted" than I would call neutral. The low distortion does a significant job of keeping it from being fatiguing.
Meanwhile, I think the Elear is good at everything with ease, a meaty timbre without defects like in the HD700 (which started it's life out at $1,000 too!!!), but it doesn't have the extra soundstage and treble sparkle that more frequently gives me chills.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 183
I know I'm late to the party here, but I'll try to make it out tomorrow (I'd be a few hours late though), or failing that, on Saturday. I unfortunately don't have much to bring along except my first-gen Fiio X3, and my knowledge is fairly limited compared to you all, but I'd love to meet some folks with common interests. If you're willing to have me, I'd be happy to participate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back