Pittsburgh HeadPhile Meet!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #49 of 183
I have yet to listen to the X2 but have heard really good things about it... and you will have a lot of options of hearing higher end gear. I was mainly doing comparisons with the Aurlic Taurus and Chord Dave TT, and also the Questyle cma600i. I regret not using the Ray Samuels Darkstar with anything when I was there before. Mark (the owner of Music To my Ear) has since sold it.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #50 of 183
I have yet to listen to the X2 but have heard really good things about it... and you will have a lot of options of hearing higher end gear. I was mainly doing comparisons with the Aurlic Taurus and Chord Dave TT, and also the Questyle cma600i. I regret not using the Ray Samuels Darkstar with anything when I was there before. Mark (the owner of Music To my Ear) has since sold it.

No, worries I can bring it , when ever you guys have a meet. Have you had any experience with the Philips Fidelio L2

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #53 of 183
I have no experience with the L2. I also have limited experience with Phillips cans in general other then owning a pair of shp9500's.

They had the L1 and I think an L2 at Best Buy for awhile... it's a competent and pretty semi-open portable, but I think there is a bit of an exaggeration in calling it the "second best driver under $1,000." Especially since the writer of said quote really liked the HD700... I owned one of those for a few months, I liked the thicker mids/bass body and the HD700 had a fun, kinda musical sound, BUT the HD700 didn't impress me with less detail and more bass bloat than the K712 I owned at the same time (and was hoping to upgrade from), had weird holes and spikes in the lower treble regions, and generally felt way overpriced compared to other headphones you could get for $500 and up. I'd recommend several other headphones besides the HD700, UNLESS you just simply have an affinity for the sound Signature and comfort. A cable upgrade is almost a must from a usability point of view, and may help with the sonic issues of lacking crispness, but you would need a VERY adjustable EQ program to fix the holes.

I don't have very strong opinions on the Phillips L2, if you can tell. I heard it, pretty good for the price, but I don't have a defining thing I found memorable about it personally.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/
this review speaks very highly of them.

That site keeps slowly scrolling up on my iPhone's mobile browser... you get any of that?

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #54 of 183
Yo Audio Aficiandos! Don't forget the Nordost and Rogue Audio Event is tomrorow from 4-8pm at Music To My Ear. I will be attending and have honesty looked forward to this for too long.... I want to hear what both companies bring to the table (literally and figuratively). Hope to see you guys there.

-Craig

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #55 of 183
I had fun with everyone who went to the demo's last night! Didn't take a lot of shots from last night because I was sucked into listening ha. If anyone has shots from last night please feel free to post! I want to thank Nordost and Rogue Audio for coming!

And let's not forget the impressive spread!!!!

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #56 of 183
Lol snacks. I'm amused, but really I'm also a bit awed by how much they must've spent on little sandwiches, seafood stuffed mushrooms, etc. And by the time I had to cut out, it looked like most of it was going to waste :frowning2: (missed dinner tonight... actually wishing I could eat some of that stuff now haha!)

That said, there were plenty of people there! Like 10-12 headphone and speaker dudes.

Believe it or not, Thursday was my first time ever going upstairs to the Northern Audio part of the store! Worth it though, as it was demonstrated how easily the different cables and vibration dampening can sound from an el cheapo setup. Which... I definitely have cheaptastic interconnects and my theater stuff on a cheepcheep wobbly entertainment center thing. I'm pretty happy with my headphone and speakers (despite how beautiful those red $$$$$ speakers were), so I'll probably be upgrading from my $10 RadioShack/Monoprice stuff as a "next step." Well, next step after trying to regain some ground on clearing and cleaning the house :wink:

Side Note: LOVED that Leonard Cohen album demoed last night, especially the "You Want It Darker" track. Bought it on the spot and listened to it the whole hour of driving I had left to get home that night. Wasn't the same on the car stereo (not as "full" and only the vocals were in the front), but still way cool.

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #57 of 183
Nice shots dude. I wish I had gotten a shot of the Rogue Audio headphone amp :frowning2:. I felt like it did a great job powering both the lcd3 and also hd800. I did not get a chance to see how quiet the noise floor would be like on a grado or something less difficult to drive. I should have played around with the gain switch more in general. Michael (sorry mike, if your out there I forget your handle on here!)gave the Rogue sponsor really great constructive criticism about it. He said that if they made the vent on the top of the unit larger and easily removable then people could tube swap easily. I thought it was a really great idea... also @Evshrug i am going to check that song out you recommended.

Dec 5, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #59 of 183
Yo gang! There is going to be a grand opening of Music To My Ears (where we held the meets) on Friday 10-8pm and Saturday 10-8pm. There will be food and drinks both nights from 5-8 and there will be raffles (no purchase necessary). There will also be 20% off on most products.  I will probably be attending Friday. if I can get away from the misses then ill go Saturday as well :wink:. to recap....

Music To My Ears Grand Opening
                                                                                         This Friday 12/9 and Saturday 12/10 from 10am-8pm 
                                                                                                        20% off most products in house
                                                                                                             Free Raffles being held
                                                                                                             Free food and drink 5-8pm

http://www.musictomyear.com/

I would also like to treat this as a meet up as well for anyone that would like to come and demo gear that they haven't had a chance to. I know for a fact that I want to try the Watson tube amp again ha. for a class A amp dual mono for like $250 it has REALLY gotten my attention... Going to try it with my planars to see if it can keep up. anyways enough ranting- hope to see you there gang and bring your friends to hear some cool stuff

-Craig

Dec 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #60 of 183
Had a good time at the Event at MTME. I wanted to be able to get some head time with the Elemental Watson dual mono class A "bad mother- shut yo mouth!" But Mark had already sold it :frowning2:. good news is that he is trying to get more units and possibly be a dealer for them (which I realllllly hope he does). I did get some time to listen to the Cavalli Liquid Crimson. I was doing an A/B test with the Elear and the hd600. I could tell why people see similar between the Elear and the 600/650. I was listening to Cat Stevens so that might have also helped show how similar they were. If I were to play something more dynamic it probably would have showed the strengths and weakness of both. Anyhoo I ended up bs'ing with everyone too long and didn't get a chance to take advantage of the 20% off. I was thinking about buying these Meze iem's. There are 2 different iems from them, one for like $50 and another pair for $80. The meze neo 11, and the 12 (had to look it up). Supossedlty they have gotten great reviews. I want a pair of decent iems for when I am at work. Alright enough off the top of my head- Ev and I will try and get another meet up and running probably next month some time. something I wish everyone should demo is the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Ev owns one so I have gotten a decent amount of time with it. Excellent amp for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back