Pitbulls invade old woman's home, chew her face off
Aug 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the owner in a cage with Michael Vick, let them fight to the death, shoot the the winner.

court adjourned

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 131
A little OT, but did anyone catch Jon Stewart's rant on Vick the other night? Man, my respect for that guy went up during that episode - he is clearly disturbed and disgusted with that whole story. Managed to be funny while his forehead vein came close to bursting.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pitbulls are a breed prone to violence. I'm a dog lover, I know dogs tend to turn out how you raise them, but the statistics show that pitbulls are way over-represented in violent incidents.

In the last 20 years in the US, the Centers for Disease Control found that 32% of fatal injuries from dogs were caused by pit bulls:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGRODDH561.DTL
When just one breed causes a third of all dog deaths, it's hard not to conclude that there's something particularly dangerous about pit bulls.

Telling statistics, Wodgy. I am a dog lover too, and have heard that the pitbull terrier can appear docile one moment and attack the next. This is wired in the breed's DNA and needs to be trained OUT like Illah said, like say training a greyhound not to run fast.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is wired in the breed's DNA and needs to be trained OUT like Illah said, like say training a greyhound not to run fast.
rolleyes.gif

Or training my little Pomeranian to not be cute. lol. Simply put, the only way to "train it out" is to only breed the MOST docile dogs. Even then, it will take several generations to completely root it out.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or training my little Pomeranian to not be cute. lol. Simply put, the only way to "train it out" is to only breed the MOST docile dogs. Even then, it will take several generations to completely root it out.

Even then, it's dodgy. It's my understanding that Pit Bulls aren't recognized as a "breed" since their lineage can't be traced properly and can range wildly. They are, in effect, pure bred mongrels.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 131
Quote:

All the blame rests squarely on the owner's head.

He clearly (from the video) did not have his pitbulls properly secured in his yard. Also, while the pitbull terrier is an aggressive breed, any dog breed that attacks people without provocation has clearly been neglected or abused.

Morons like this dog's owner and Mike Vick need to have huge fines and prison time for their crimes. And anyone who breeds or owns a pitbull terrier should have to pay a $10,000 licence fee for each animal. Don't like it? Then don't get a pitbull you stupid macho *********.

Precisely. Even as an owner of a pit bull, I like the idea of having to license them, and would gladly do so if it meant preventing morons, criminals, and dog fighters from owning them.

I love Samgotit's idea. Put it on PPV, $9.95, and the proceeds go to charity.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely. Even as an owner of a pit bull, I like the idea of having to license them, and would gladly do so if it meant preventing morons, criminals, and dog fighters from owning them.

I love Samgotit's idea. Put it on PPV, $9.95, and the proceeds go to charity.

I almost included that, but I was going to charge $19.95.

Wodgy's stats are compelling, but they say nothing about the owners behind the dogs: how they treated them, are they pseudo-gangster-wanna-bes, etc. I wonder if there's a correlation between moron owners and dog attacks in the case of pitt-bulls. I wonder if there's a correlation in general with all pet attacks.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #24 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost included that, but I was going to charge $19.95.

Wodgy's stats are compelling, but they say nothing about the owners behind the dogs, how they treated them, are they pseudo-gangster-wanna-bes, etc. I wonder if there's a correlation between moron owners and dog attacks in the case of pitt-bulls. I wonder if there's a correlation in general with all pet attacks.

I'll simplify that for you. Pitbull owner = moron owner. Unless the dog is a rescued animal, here is no reason to own a pitbull other than to fight it. If you really want a dog, there are hundreds of breed to choose from that are not pitbulls.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making that assumption = moron poster
wink.gif

You just being snarky or do you have something to back that up?

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 131
Quote:

You just being snarky or do you have something to back that up?

The former, as I took exception to being called a moron (indirectly) for being a pit bull owner. But I suppose your presumption speaks for itself anyway, so take from it what you will.

I could add this, I believed exactly as you did prior to owning the dog. I was the lone voice in my family who objected to having a pit bull. I am much better informed 11 years later, and can easily say anyone who makes broad statements about pitbulls and/or their owners with no experience of the breed other than what they read or see on tv is ignorant.

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 131
the ghetto family across the alley from me that just moved in has a huge and i mean gigantic Pitbull. this killer has a head from nose to back of the head the size of both my hands finger to palm.

he had it out in his back yard while he was working in his garage the other day. so the machine decides to walk over to me and my buddy. the killer walks up to me and backed off while my buddy pulled out his gun (he is a cop). he owner started screaming its a loving dog and great with kids. once he got the dog back i told him strait out..

"look i understand the dog is all love and ****, but i am not taking a risk with myself around him. if the dogs head is all muscle and twice the size of my hand i rather kill him then give him the slight chance of anything on me. i am not saying he would do something but i am saying i will not give him the chance to. cause if he did i would be seriously in trouble."

i talked with the owner for awhile about it afterwards, he understands my point with the dog and i understand his. its not anything against the dog or any pitbulls but instead its because the truth of the matter is..
if that dog wanted to for any reason, he would be able to rip my arm off and still do worse before anyone can help..its a fact.
my buddy pulled the gun but kept it pointed towards the ground, he said when he seen me backing off he thought i felt something more..

my neighbor on my right has three little kids and the neighbor on my left has two dogs..wanna start putting money on the bets of what is going to happen?
if the owner does not have control enough now for that dog to walk over to me just imagine how much control he really has..

Aug 22, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ghetto family across the alley from me that just moved in has a huge and i mean gigantic Pitbull. this killer has a head from nose to back of the head the size of both my hands finger to palm.

he had it out in his back yard while he was working in his garage the other day. so the machine decides to walk over to me and my buddy. the killer walks up to me and backed off while my buddy pulled out his gun (he is a cop). he owner started screaming its a loving dog and great with kids. once he got the dog back i told him strait out..

"look i understand the dog is all love and ****, but i am not taking a risk with myself around him. if the dogs head is all muscle and twice the size of my hand i rather kill him then give him the slight chance of anything on me. i am not saying he would do something but i am saying i will not give him the chance to. cause if he did i would be seriously in trouble."

i talked with the owner for awhile about it afterwards, he understands my point with the dog and i understand his. its not anything against the dog or any pitbulls but instead its because the truth of the matter is..
if that dog wanted to for any reason, he would be able to rip my arm off and still do worse before anyone can help..its a fact.
my buddy pulled the gun but kept it pointed towards the ground, he said when he seen me backing off he thought i felt something more..

my neighbor on my right has three little kids and the neighbor on my left has two dogs..wanna start putting money on the bets of what is going to happen?
if the owner does not have control enough now for that dog to walk over to me just imagine how much control he really has..

Very understandable and respectable stance to take. I don't understand how anyone could let their pit bull waltz around like that. My pit has never been off the chain outside of the house, and he's an absolute sissy, but I would never take chances. That's outright stupid and irresponsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back