Pipe-Fi!
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
Over the years, we have had several discussions of pipe and pipe smoking in the Members' Lounge. It is clear we have some pipe-philes who know and love their pipes and tobacco.

This morning's WSJ has an article on the surge in pipe smoking on American campuses dispite the universal global repression of the tobacco nazis. I started smoking pipes in college thirty-eight years ago.

A good pipe, some tasty tobacco, a good book, a couple of friendly spaniels snugged up, and some fine music continue to be my evening companions of choice. Pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe collecting have led me many interesting places and introduced me to several life-long friends.

Below is a shot of the mantle behind my desk with part of my collection.

4531070369_86897e5571_b.jpg

So sound off, and let's see yours!
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 48
Interesting - I had no idea there was a resurgence in pipe smoking. I haven't gotten it out for some months, but I have a nice Comoy that I've had since undergrad and have enjoyed for almost 17 years now. There's a couple others in the collection, but the Comoy is the most broken in (and without pink noise
wink.gif
) and my favorite. I've never taken to flavored tobacco, but have always loved a nice Virginia and a little Latakia.

Pipes are a good alternative to cigars. As much as I love cigars, it's hard to torch $10+ every time or light up a Cuban. Not that I'd know anything about that.
evil_smiley.gif

And I have to agree with you about tobacco - occasional use is not the end of the world and it's one of the few drugs that will give you a nice buzz, but leave you able to drive a car or go to work.

Thanks for the thread, Old Pa. It's supposed to rain this weekend, which would be a good time to take the pipe out into the covered patio and relax with a cat. Assuming I won't be dragged into the office.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 48
I used to be a pipe, cigar, and cigarette smoker. Ah those were the days. I quit the cigs, kept the pipes and the cigars. I still have the occassional cigar and the rare pipe full of tobacco. I favour Kirsten pipes Kirsten Pipe Company as I like the design, the interchangeable parts, the cool look, and that the pipe water gets trapped. Also they smoke cool. I also like Peterson pipes Peterson of Dublin Which also deals with the pipe water. There are lots of other pipes that I like, but as I rarely smoke and like a fool have given away some of my favourite pipes.

I really like Erinmore pipe tobacco (sort of like juicy fruit gum, semi-aromatic). This is my favourite. I loved hanging out at pipe bars and trying differing tobaccos. As a cigar smoker (cigars alas trump pipes in my world), I shy away from the aromatic pipe tobaccos. The taste ain't all that great, but the smells can be wonderful. Damn, I'd like a pipe right now. I know that in the garage is a pack of Borcum Riff Cherry and a nice American made pipe (one that is has a curved stem and sits flat on one's desk--a really great pipe and not too pricey).

Pipe smoking is great.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombie1210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I show my bong collection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I like to kick back with some cats too.

This is about conciousness, not unconciousness, gents.

I always favored the higher standard lines of Savinelli and Peterson in deep bents. Got a couple of Perterson's Sherlock Holmes series and some Savanelli Nonpariels. Something about some good birdseye or flame grain.

Feb 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is about conciousness, not unconciousness, gents.

Oh, erm...sorry OldDude.
wink.gif

I'm a little partial to a Cuban cigar and a bottle of Bushmills but as much as I loved the smell of the pipe my dad and and old teacher of mine used to smoke, their pipes always smelled God-awful wherever they left them lying around.
In fact, as much as I love the look of the pipe collection in the photo, I can smell the darn things from here.
smily_headphones1.gif

...and yeah, I was a cigarette smoker for over fifteen years.
That was one of the dumbest habits I ever got into and for someone who's been through a few dumb habits, that's saying something.

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good pipe, some tasty tobacco, a good book, a couple of friendly spaniels snugged up, and some fine music continue to be my evening companions of choice. Pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe collecting have led me many interesting places and introduced me to several life-long friends.

So sound off, and let's see yours!
biggrin.gif

Do you ever worry about becoming a stereotype or perhaps a character from a Hemingway novel?

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 48
Reminder: Head-fi does not allow the discussion of illegal activities such as illegal music copying and illicit drug use. Conduct yourselves accordingly and don't waste our time cleaning up immature boasting of drug use.

Thank you

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you ever worry about becoming a stereotype or perhaps a character from a Hemingway novel?

ROFLMAO! In short: no. My life is about experience and evolution, not about stereotypes and characterizations.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 48
glad you took that the right way...after posting it I wondered if it crossed the boundary...just the spaniels put it over the top...

Pipe smoking is one thing I wish I had enjoyed more. I started smoking in London in 1994. I was there on a college trip and for some reason going out even from 100 yards out we were Obviously Americans. Seemed like smoking helped. So my mates and I went to a local tobacconist who set us up with some entry-level gear. We were very impressed with ourselves that night, but eventually got thrown out of a college pub for stinking the place up. Our girlfriends kept their distance until the smoke worked its way out of our clothes.

But I will allow that smoking is a great pleasure, a science if not a way of life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Sartre
"Smoking is the symbolic equivalent of destructively appropriating the entire world."

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glad you took that the right way...after posting it I wondered if it crossed the boundary...just the spaniels put it over the top...

The spaniels, over the past twenty years, have been very, very good to me. Raised without dogs. Fixed the problem at the earliest opportunity.
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 48
I read entirely too much Hemingway, Bukowski, Kerouac and Mailer in college. As a result, I found myself laid out beside the pool (went to school in Tampa) with a glass of Jameson (Bushmills, at times. Not a lot of whiskey drinkers in the douchiest state in the south) and a pipe full of whatever north eastern blend I could get my hands on.

I still enjoy the same luxuries, alongside this ridiculous hi-fi vinyl collecting hobby.

As for pipes, I've owned, lost, and given away many. I've never been keen on pipe collecting, so I really only use a small Dr. Grabow straight pipe for stoop-dwelling and a baby walnut bent for short trips to/from the metro station.

It's a relaxing hobby, one I hope to hold onto into middle, and (god willing) old age.

3287152858_6535067885.jpg

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 48
I'm trying to give up smoking cigarettes and replace them with pipe smoking, so far it's been going good.
smily_headphones1.gif

043tyb.jpg

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 48
a couple new pipes I picked up

Peterson Kinsale XL21
518694035_9oPvh-L.jpg

Savinelli Churchwarden 104
518694670_9vnxC-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back