Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,876 of 2,189
I've looked at his channel out of curiosity and there are ~3 related videos and the gist appears to be tilt the driver over so slightly from its axis so that it points more toward the ear. To do that, as I understood, a cardboard gasket between the driver and baffle plate was altered so that when the driver is pushed against it by the mounting bracket, it's secured at non-default angle.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,878 of 2,189
After getting no response from Pioneer or their designated service centres/dealers I have come to the conclusion that aftercare for the SEM1s does not exist within the UK. For such an expensive headphone this is a crying shame.

Anyone from the UK who is thinking of buying this headphone beware that in time you'll end up with permanently deteriorated earpads or risk damaging them by trying to replace them yourselves.
I have to have my Pioneer SEM1 repaired, because the left ear sound is intermittent. Because my pair are considered an early model serial 739
i have to have both ear assemblies replaced - more expensive too :frowning2:
These assemblies have to be ordered from Pioneer in Japan and shipped to Australia. The ear pads an assemblies do have part numbers see attached document for further details and orders. I am also replacing the padded headband and ear pads. UK sucks for service considering there must be more orders for Pioneer gear than Australia.
5FFA15F2-5DF4-47E6-B57A-564EBCF58E3F.jpeg
BA298C0D-F87A-42BB-9460-F7E12E65C23D.jpeg

Attachments

• E84C52B7-37D0-4C61-9277-CC91AED3347E.jpeg
    E84C52B7-37D0-4C61-9277-CC91AED3347E.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #1,881 of 2,189
Yeah.
That's a shame.
Why no replaceable pads similar to the SEM5?
Can't understand that decision.

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #1,883 of 2,189
If they've used the same alignment like the SEM5, it'll pretty easy.
But who knows.

Wasn't the SEM1 end of life too?

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,884 of 2,189
If they've used the same alignment like the SEM5, it'll pretty easy.
But who knows.

Wasn't the SEM1 end of life too?
Where did you hear that? It seems from the repair there are at least two revision for the housing assembly’. I’m not sure if the drivers were refreshed too - does anyone know?

I know when they were released there was talk of them being limited to 1000, but I thought that number had been exceeded a few years ago.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #1,885 of 2,189
I was just assuming because of the issues with the pads.
Sorry about that short thought. ^^

Didn't know there're 2 revisions out there.
Good to know. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,886 of 2,189
Good question re the earpads - i wonder if the new assembly allows for no pioneer earpad replacements

That is a good question.

I checked with an eBay seller from China who is selling his own variant of pads for SEM1. According to him, it is quite easy to replace the pads, very similar to:

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #1,887 of 2,189
Hope it'll be as easy as with the SEM5.
They've a small notch in the cap where you've to "screw" the pads into the cap and you're done.
Takes 5 to 10 seconds to reattach the pads. :thumbsup:
The easiest one i've seen aside of the magnetic ones.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,888 of 2,189
That is a good question.

I checked with an eBay seller from China who is selling his own variant of pads for SEM1. According to him, it is quite easy to replace the pads, very similar to:

I don't believe it. On the SEM1 the earpads are glued, we've been talking about it for years. Maybe someone prove me wrong.🤣

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,889 of 2,189
It's funny how I'm only finding all this information out after selling my pair lol...

I also don't believe the ear pad replacement is as easy as he says, I've even read comments about a spacer being used from Japanese owners. It looks like the spacer/fixer is pictured in the document next to the images of the "Ear Pad ASSY". Personally I think the SEM1 is more trouble than it's worth, I'm really enjoying the SEM5 more and more these days and closed-back better suits my listening environment. I love the neutral sound across the spectrum, the SEM1 was definitely leaning more on the bass side.

It's interesting about the revisions though (I wonder what was changed exactly). I suppose living closer to Japan would be more of an advantage in terms of getting replacement parts. Pioneer Europe weren't really thinking beyond selling the headphones, aftercare is very close to non-existent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back