Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,546 of 2,188
actually if ordered from outside UK it will go lower to around 1450 £ or so ,
but your link is crazy 899 £ which i think is the lowest from online retailer,
cant say enough thanks , the SE-Master 1 was under my radar for long time , i was just waiting for a good deal ..
Please send him right away £5 PayPal to buy some drinks from providing the link.
Thank you.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #1,548 of 2,188
It was a shop in Manchester ex demo with less than 50 hours, mint just like new.
I phoned and negotiated the price :)
This is the best headphone I have ever owned or tried, and i tried them all.
I just want more people to own one.
Truly natural sound with both movies or music.
Only a dynamic transducer can produce this natural sound with powerful bass IMHO.

Thanks
50 Hours is practically new. Well done too.
Indeed. The Bass is quite impressive for an Open Headphone.
The music from this Headphone sounds alive. Is also so detailed! I would say that even more than the HD800.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,549 of 2,188
This is the only headphone that pairs extremely well with the Tera Player and is very easy to drive with plenty of headroom and quite loud.
How do you guys store it, transport it? I am looking for a clamshell type of case to keep it in when not in use.
Also have anyone found similar size real leather pads? Audeze really works? Even if they glued at the bottom should not be difficult to replace.

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,550 of 2,188
Just received a used pair this past weekend. Initially was very hot/sibilant. Seems to have calmed down. Really enjoying the unique way the music is presented. I get why people describe them as speaker like. Tried them on a Apex Teton and schiit ragnorak (single ended) so far - prefer the Teton. Running 6f8g national union, tung sol 6528 and ken rad vt-244 tubes.

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,551 of 2,188
Just received a used pair this past weekend. Initially was very hot/sibilant. Seems to have calmed down. Really enjoying the unique way the music is presented. I get why people describe them as speaker like. Tried them on a Apex Teton and schiit ragnorak (single ended) so far - prefer the Teton. Running 6f8g national union, tung sol 6528 and ken rad vt-244 tubes.
Congratulations for becoming the owner of the best headphone in the world of this type IMHO.
Happy listening:)

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,552 of 2,188
I've tried the Utopia and HD800S the past couple of weeks and can confidently say the Master1 tops them both handily (measurements be damned). The Utopia in particular was a disappointment. Yes, nice detail retrieval but too boring and it felt like a brick on my head. It's so heavy and doesn't seem to distribute weight well like the headband of the Master1. Even the 800S comfort wasn't as good as the Master1- the headband was annoying and gave a pressure point I couldn't adjust to and the cups seem to swallow my face.

Another lesson learned about hype...

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,553 of 2,188
Soundwiset I find the Utopia pretty similar to the SEM1 but a little lagging behind in about every area. Pretty good phones though.
The HD800S has the biggist soundsatge and I plan to use that one for surround.

Comfortwise the SEM1 is very good and probably best for most people but as I like a bit more clamping and heavier headphone I'd rate them in the order of Utopia > SEM1 > HD800S. I find the HD800S too big, light and loose.

Re the Hype ... I've seen quite a few Utopia's for sale in the last 6 months or so ...
They are good but severely overpriced. Hell, even the SEM1 is more than overpriced enough for my taste.
Seen how damn good a pair of HD600/650 is and at what price most so called high-end phones prices are simply getting ridiculous.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,554 of 2,188
Agree on everything being overpriced. It's why I couldn't keep the Master1 but one day if price drops I'll go for it again. But I have the much more reasonably priced Monitor5 and it's awesome for a closed headphone. Heck I'd even say it competes admirably against the Utopia for the price - and that's based on side by side comparisons. It's not worth $3K more, no way. The law of diminished returns rears it's ugly head again.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #1,556 of 2,188
Does anyone have any experience with norne eidolic mmcx connectors? Do they fit in the SEM1? Are the connections secure? Or does anyone have any experience with other mmcx connectors? Is it secure on the SEM1?

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,557 of 2,188
Those are the ones I used with the Q French Silk cable - I bought the connectors from Norne and had Ted from Headphone Lounge put them together. Love it..........and yes, they are secure and even though they are not "keyed" they don't move at all.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,558 of 2,188
hi ,, its me again :)
i got the SE1 today ,, did some burn in for 10hr ,, but i have mixed initial impression ,,
any advise beside more burning time ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back