Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Dec 27, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,051 of 2,189
I just finished my move and the SE-M1 will be coming out tonight
biggrin.gif
 During the move I kept my Shure 1840 out or daily listening. Its no slouch but going from Z1R and SE-M1 to it was a 'audible' downgrade. Keen to hear the M1 tonight. I also managed to get Sony TA-ZH1ES amp (just came in today at office) so tonight should be very interesting
biggrin.gif

Phonomat - any impressions with the balanced cable that you can share?

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,052 of 2,189
By the way - has anybody tried the SEM1 with a balanced cable? The standard stereo cable is quite good already. Of course depends on the amp/player as well but just wondering how much of a difference switching to balanced would/could make..
I have the balanced cable, and - am listening to them right now, through the U05 amp...

Funnily, call this sacrilege, call it what you like - I really like running these with my Samsung K8500 Blu-ray player optically into the U05 - even makes YouTube music videos compelling...

Shame the U05 optically, with the Samsung, is stuck at 44.1 for YouTube and 48 for [4k]BR, but - still sounds great :)

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,053 of 2,189
Optical cable makes the SE Master 1 sound more than good. Have been using optical out of my computer to the BMC pre/Dac and it blows the USB connection for musicality and definitely my preference.

Also, the  polished glass Toslink cable sounds the best.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,054 of 2,189
By the way - has anybody tried the SEM1 with a balanced cable? The standard stereo cable is quite good already. Of course depends on the amp/player as well but just wondering how much of a difference switching to balanced would/could make..
I have the balanced cable, and - am listening to them right now, through the U05 amp...

Funnily, call this sacrilege, call it what you like - I really like running these with my Samsung K8500 Blu-ray player optically into the U05 - even makes YouTube music videos compelling...

Shame the U05 optically, with the Samsung, is stuck at 44.1 for YouTube and 48 for [4k]BR, but - still sounds great :)

Where did you get your balanced cable? Can you share some pics?

Also, how does the sound compare with unbalanced cable? Any noticeable improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,055 of 2,189
Where did you get your balanced cable? Can you share some pics?

Also, how does the sound compare with unbalanced cable? Any noticeable improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's just the pioneer cable (2x3 DIN), and I cannot answer how the sound differs by cable alone, seeing that the U05 that I use has different signal paths for single ended and balanced...

Sorry :frowning2:

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,056 of 2,189
Thanks mate. Unforunately that cable doesnt work for me all my amps have a single 4 pin output. I think for now I will just stick with the stock unbalanced cable. Unless there is a clear aonic benefit no point in shelling out cash giventhe M1 sounds truly awesome with the stock unbalanced cable already.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #1,057 of 2,189
Agreed, I don't get the comments about ringing etc. To me, that is endemic of poor power handling from whatever amp is driving them, not so here :)

They annoy me though, as they outclass my av setup (although to be fair, I didn't spend that much on it), which means I spend more time watching movies, and even YouTube with these than I really should.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,058 of 2,189
^

Isn't that an observation of the impulse response of the driver? Seems like the driver keeps moving well after the signal ends:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PioneerSEMaster1.pdf

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #1,059 of 2,189
came across this review that may be of interest: http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/pioneer-release-se-master1-headphones-review

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,060 of 2,189
Dec 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,063 of 2,189
Agreed, I don't get the comments about ringing etc. To me, that is endemic of poor power handling from whatever amp is driving them, not so here
smily_headphones1.gif

They annoy me though, as they outclass my av setup (although to be fair, I didn't spend that much on it), which means I spend more time watching movies, and even YouTube with these than I really should.

Hi Duncan

Sorry to say, but your conclusion is wrong in both aspects: ringing after signal stop is never caused by the driving amp. After signal stop the amp is electrically inactive, disconnected, so to speak. In fact the ringing has a clear connection with the 6 kHz spike in the Inner Fidelity graph. Look at the 300 Hz square wave and count the number of ripples per half-wave: there are ten of about the same kind, which doubles to twenty for one wave cycle, multiplied by the 300 Hz makes 6000 Hz. That's undisputably a quite distinct resonance, most likely with a mechanical cause.

Now to the Utopia: There are just under seven ripples per half-wave on the 300 Hz square-wave graph, which doubles to about thirteen for a full cycle, multiplied by 300 Hz makes 4000 Hz – corresponding to the hump in the amplitude response. But note that this hump and the intensity of the ringing have nowhere near the «quality» in terms of resonant behavior as those in the Pioneer's response.

Another critical aspect in the SE Master 1's measuring data is the extremely high harmonic distortion at low frequencies. The really low distortion figures above 300 Hz are an astonishing contrast. Now the low-frequency distortion won't be audible as such, but it certainly will add warmth and maybe even «texture» to bass notes. I haven't heard the headphone so far, but I can imagine that it will breathe life into some anemic studio bass guitars, making it sound closer to stage equipment. In turn it's likely not an ideal coloration with large classical orchestras, where it may compomize transparency.

In any event there's nothing wrong with liking the SE Master 1 as it is. To each his and her own. Some people like tube sound – I even belong to them myself, although I've found a better alternative. There's no need to defend a product for defending the own sonic preferences. It's even downright counterproductive to dismiss measuring data, which tell one important aspect of the truth after all – even though it's not the whole – for somebody who wants to learn more about audio.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #1,065 of 2,189
*facepalm*
care to clarify that point?

...and I wondered why I don't really come here much anymore, moderator or not, I find it harder and harder to want to be a part of it around here, and don't worry, I won't let the door hit me on the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back