Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Aug 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #796 of 2,188
15% off for used- not exactly cracking

They are new, not used. It says so in the name of the URL link itself and in the ebay offer. 2 sets are available it says. Here is the link again with the New in the title.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pioneer-SE-MASTER1-Open-air-Dynamic-Stereo-Headphones-Hand-Made-In-Japan-/322091222375?hash=item4afe220567:g:nPwAAOSw1DtXJCsj

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #797 of 2,188
  If anyone is interested, the price is cracking on these. $2040 usd w/ free shipping on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pioneer-SE-MASTER1-Open-air-Dynamic-Stereo-Headphones-Hand-Made-In-Japan-/322091222375?hash=item4afe220567:g:nPwAAOSw1DtXJCsj

15% off for used- not exactly cracking

Exactly, not even off new if one needs to import.

They are new, not used. It says so in the name of the URL link itself and in the ebay offer. 2 sets are available it says. Here is the link again with the New in the title.

I think this is a much better deal, and there's a $400 original cable included.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/816789/pioneer-se-master-1-with-balanced-4-pin-cable-and-dual-3-pin-xlr-adapter

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #798 of 2,188
Well I really like mine but they got a slating in HFNRR for thd, I wonder if they'd been properly run in and if it makes a difference to measurements.

I'm at a total loss with this one... Slating these magnificent headphones for thd?

It seems to me as if the magazine has a hidden agenda. I have listened to many very transparent headphones & speakers and would say that these headphones in terms of transparency is up there with the HD800. Is HFNRR suggesting they badly distort the signal from their test amp?

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #800 of 2,188
I'm at a total loss with this one... Slating these magnificent headphones for thd?

It seems to me as if the magazine has a hidden agenda. I have listened to many very transparent headphones & speakers and would say that these headphones in terms of transparency is up there with the HD800. Is HFNRR suggesting they badly distort the signal from their test amp?

There's a very simple answer.  The distortion is exceptionally low where it makes the biggest difference (upper midrange/lower treble where the ear is most sensitive), and I guess "relatively" high with respect to other headphones where it doesn't matter nearly as much (bass/lower midrange).  Also these oversimplified THD plots don't show you the actual distortion profile... most of us tube amp lovers have no problems choosing significantly higher amounts of 2nd and 3rd order distortion over higher order distortion products of lesser magnitude.

Also, with a full range driver like a headphone, harmonic distortion is usually not as big of an issue as intermodulation distortion, which is far more offensive, and less of an issue with stiff cone drivers utilizing faraday rings in the motor, like the SEM-1's.  Put all these together, and you have a can that is unusually transparent and vivid.

The biggest "fault" with these cans IMO isn't the distortion, but whether or not you prefer a more lower midrange weighted presentation, and how sensitive you are to the ringing in the upper frequencies.

Aug 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #801 of 2,188
@Phonomat HFNRR is Hi-Fi News and Record Review magazine. I ignored your Gesundheit comment as I thought you were just being facetious, since if you Google hfnrr it shows up on the first page.

It's a magazine? A real paper one? Now that is useful! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #802 of 2,188

Well, it was basically a choice between the LA-900 (that I bought from you) and the SEM1, my friend...

It seems you prefer the Fostex TH-900 to the SEM1. May I ask why..? (besides the looks)

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #803 of 2,188
I clearly like both.
But I have come to a moment where I have only three headphones instead of ten and am able to use and enjoy them all just as much even though they are in very different price categories. None of them is leaving my home and I don't have the lust to try anything else anymore. 
Paired with the Zana Deux or Black Widow (none of which are leaving my home as well) I am amazed at least once a day. What more could one ask for?

The uber Elear and Utopia that everybody can't wait to jump on and hardly anybody has heard? When I can hear a pair nearby I'll do so.
Last year the Ether was supposed to be the best can in history of mankind, glad I didn't buy that one.
Can't see myself buying any more Head-Fi gear except for some extra stock of 6SL7 tubes I already have a few of.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #807 of 2,188
Beautiful looking headphone, the sound signature is a deal breaker for me though
in which way? were the pair you've auditioned burned in, or - are you basing your thoughts on opinions within this thread?

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #808 of 2,188
in which way? were the pair you've auditioned burned in, or - are you basing your thoughts on opinions within this thread?[/quote

Based on user impressions, this headphone has a u-shaped sound with focus on the treble and some bass emphasis, while the mids get left out. The soundstage doesn't seem to be that impressive either. A Q701 sound with better mids is what I desire from an endgame upgrade

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #810 of 2,188
So would I like the Pioneer if I had issues with the TH900, which I sold after about 2 to 3 years of owning it? [For some reason, I hear the SEM1 mentioned along with the Fostex frequently, that's why I mention this.]
The TH900 bass had problems for me. It could (a) pound too much, (b) sound soft, or strangely (c) remind be of bongo drums in tonality, a kind of hollow sound.
I heard 2 of the TH900s so it was not just mine.

And although I tried to deny it, the often repeated comment about the recessed mids in the TH900 did ring true for me.
I did like the tonality of mids and vocals though, along with the lack of grain.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back