Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jul 10, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #721 of 2,188
From the iPurifier thread, I've swapped my USB cables around, with the iFi driving the QED reference, and - I prefer it that way around than how I had it with the Audioquest... I'd have laughed at myself if I'd have said that two or three years ago.)

So, is it OK that I'm laughing at you right now...?

Only having fun, I look forward to the time my music system and life aren't in shambles and I can attempt comparing things.

One question I do have, I haven't read up on it too much, but in the little reading I have done the iPurifier 2 is preferred over v1, which I own. What's your take there?

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #723 of 2,188
I have replaced the Aqvox usb cable by the AudioQuest Diamond usb cable yesterday; big improvement and takes the sound to a higher level

as said before: cables make a (big) difference! One should keep this in mind!

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #724 of 2,188
  I have replaced the Aqvox usb cable by the AudioQuest Diamond usb cable yesterday; big improvement and takes the sound to a higher level

as said before: cables make a (big) difference! One should keep this in mind!

Yep, the Diamond usb cable made a huuuuge audible difference for me. I would not be without it.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #725 of 2,188
I usually order some spare pads and a spare headband for a pair of phones I like very much.
Got the prices for the M1 from my delaer: 396€ for the headband and 360€ for a pair of pads!!!!!
Think I'll take really good care of the leateher!

Anyone in Japan can confirm these prices for original Pioneer replacement pads?

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #728 of 2,188
I usually order some spare pads and a spare headband for a pair of phones I like very much.
Got the prices for the M1 from my delaer: 396€ for the headband and 360€ for a pair of pads!!!!!

I'll check and see if I can find the local prices. When you asked about the headband though, that wasn't just for the suspension strap, was it?! Or did you look at buying a whole second headband assembly?

As for the earpads, they're stuck in with a slice of double sided, foam tape on the back half. I already tried a pad swap with some LCD-3 pads, but called it quits when I found that. I'm sure you could take care of it if you wanted, but it was enough to make me stop while it's not needed.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #729 of 2,188
I'll check and see if I can find the local prices. When you asked about the headband though, that wasn't just for the suspension strap, was it?! Or did you look at buying a whole second headband assembly?

As for the earpads, they're stuck in with a slice of double sided, foam tape on the back half. I already tried a pad swap with some LCD-3 pads, but called it quits when I found that. I'm sure you could take care of it if you wanted, but it was enough to make me stop while it's not needed.

Thanks.

The headband was just for the leather part.
Yep, probably best left alone if they come with tape.
I'll take good care of them instead of buying spares.
Nothing wrong with mine, it's just when I like a pair of phones I buy some spares. But these prices are bordering insanity.
I have a bunch of Lawton and HD650 spares here.
And still some Audeze and AT spares I need to sell as well.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #730 of 2,188

The headband alone costs more than headphones superior to it, another reason why this headphone will be relegated to those with "special" hearing.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #732 of 2,188
  Any electronic music fans here? I'd love to hear your thoughts here specifically with regards to the SE-M1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/812976/electronic-music-fans-headphones-discussion-thread

I'm into electronic music as well and really love the Master-1 for those genres. Just got A Hugo last week and have to say it pairs exceptionally well with the Master-1. Did not turn it up loud, but bass just kicked more than expected.

Thats insane. But somewhat inline with the costs of the balanced cable. Will not get spare parts I guess... #172 btw.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #733 of 2,188
I get what you say about a hardness in the treble. The only negative I have at the moment. Wondering if that could be alleviated by a cable upgrade.

I only hear it with certain recordings, and to be fair, if I hear it on the SEM-1's I also hear it on the HD800S and HD650 I have here.  If you ever have a chance, I would HIGHLY recommend trying these on an Allnic HPA-5000 or perhaps an EAR HP4.  For my listening tastes (and I prefer a huge, rich, vivid, massive midrange that pushes out toward the listener), this is the first time I've ever heard any setup that could potentially replace my speaker rig.  In comparison, the HD800S driven with your typical solid state sounds like a clock radio to me. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #734 of 2,188

Himself I guess. Anybody that doesn't hear like him has special hearing.
Weird if you ask me since about all the headphones he has either you or me have or had.
Puzzles my simple mind. 
confused.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #735 of 2,188

I'm into electronic music as well and really love the Master-1 for those genres. Just got A Hugo last week and have to say it pairs exceptionally well with the Master-1. Did not turn it up loud, but bass just kicked more than expected.

Thats insane. But somewhat inline with the costs of the balanced cable. Will not get spare parts I guess... #172 btw.

Whats the pricing on the balanced cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back