Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #211 of 2,189

Interesting report.  Now I must return to e-earphone and compare the SE-1 to the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-3.  I want something open, airy, detailed and not tiring so that I can listen to a whole opera if need be.  I already have a Woo WA6SE, so I prefer not to go with Stax. 

I do not think Woo will have good synergy with the Master-1. Something like a Cavalli  will work much better.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #212 of 2,189
Besides, with Stax prices in Japan, it's a bit silly to not even check it out because you have a woo amp. Mind you, not everyone likes stax and to each his own at thomas pointed out. But, based in Tokyo or Osaka, you have no excuse not to try :wink:

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #213 of 2,189
Besides, with Stax prices in Japan, it's a bit silly to not even check it out because you have a woo amp. Mind you, not everyone likes stax and to each his own at thomas pointed out. But, based in Tokyo or Osaka, you have no excuse not to try
wink.gif

Arnaud, I hear you, but I have some other things to consider.  

I heard a Stax set up at a New York audio show a few years ago.  It was at the MA Recordings booth before I moved to Japan and I was duly impressed.  I even bought a few of their CDs, which I still listen to. 

I just prefer the standard connector style amps.  Sort of like Apple v. PC.  Stax certainly has its advantages (like air between instruments and a very natural presentation), but I like the ability to use a variety of different headphones.

Further, the Woo isn't even broken in yet, so I can't possibly justify selling it.  If it could be easily modified or adapted to take a Stax connector, I would give Stax a long hard listen, but I don't think that's possible. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stax uses a 4-pin connector and the standard 1/4 inch headphone jack is only 3 conductors.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #214 of 2,189
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stax uses a 4-pin connector and the standard 1/4 inch headphone jack is only 3 conductors.

5 pin actually and indeed, estat technology is drastically different from regular electro-dynamic or ortho-dynamic phone / amp: http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/ABOUT_ESP1.html

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #215 of 2,189
I'm definitely signed up for this thread. For some unexplainable reasons I am attracted to "underdog" TOTL headphones. By underdog I mean the number of visits of this forum gets vs. the new Hifiman HE1000 headphone one. Guess, that's why I still have the JVC flagship as my main headphone (and b/c of the fact that it perfectly matches with Metal music...to me anyway).

I've seen like two weeks ago a barely used pair of this new Pioneer for 280000 JPY which is still steep for me but later on, I hope, prices will go lower and then...

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #216 of 2,189
   I hope, prices will go lower and then...

That might never happen. There is limited number made after all. Infact it might be just the opposite. If pioneers get alot of favorable reviews price might go up. Worst case scenario is that it becomes a sought after expensive headphone like R10. You pay more for a used pair than you would have if you had gotten it new when it was still available.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #219 of 2,189
Well, the production of R10 was going on for more than a decade, right? They stopped producing them around like 2004, right? I'm sure if Pioneer will see the demand they'll make more. They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #220 of 2,189
You are right. R10 was a poor choice for comparison. I was surprised when I heard there is limited number made. I also hope Pioneers more than a 1000 units if (when) the demand is there. These seem really promising headphones. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #221 of 2,189
Out of curiosity I looked around online in japanese sale sites and found the new Pioneer for about 2300$ shipped to US cheapest. Then looked for the Stax SR009 and it's 3k brand new. I know, Stax will need an equally (or even more) expensive amp but still...

It's sometimes frightening how prices could go down on some headgears...I have seen a Beyer T1 for sale on this site a while ago for 575$ (from a respectable seller, no scam.) Also, A Fostex TH900 for 815$. The Fostex was like 2k when it came out!!

If you search carefully, a brand new JVC DX1000 can be found from Japan for like 600$...and it was well above a thousand.

Yet the HD800 still keeps it's price, more or less. I've never had troubles selling them.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #223 of 2,189
so, I have used the Master 1 (with my AK 120 II) for 10 more days and all I can say, it always is great fun (which I did not have, when I tried the HD800, which for my taste sounds in a way impressive, but also kind of clinical and not very involving; for me, the HD800 definitely needs the right amp)

as said before, the Master 1 is not on the warm/sweet side, but sounds (to me) very neutral, but not analytical; it has lots of bass, what can be a problem (for me) with bassy music; the Master 1 sounds very clear, but (to me) does not emphasise the upper mids like (to me) the Audeze LCD-3 or the new Hifiman 1000 do; this is a matter of taste and what one prefers

depending on what you prefer, I strongly recommend to give the Master 1 a try

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #224 of 2,189
Fascinating. These have been referred to as analytical and also having strong bass. You don't usually hear both those terms being ascribed to the same headphone.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #225 of 2,189
Which is another example of how different tastes we all have... I'd take the Pioneer over any Audeze, Stax or Hifiman I've heard so far (and yes, that includes the HE1000). And in fact I did: mine should be with me before mid of June.

That I don't know, but it reminded me instantly of the Z7: wearing comfort is quite similar (but that was about the only really convincing part of the Z7 to me).

@plakat

Do the sound better and more refined with greater clarity and bass than your Abyss also ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back