Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Nov 5, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #932 of 2,193
It's been said before

Sure - will do when I have a moment. Tldr: they are all great, so comes down to taste (and budget) in the end

Yep, I'm trying to find out if the Sony and either the Utopia or Elear are for my taste.
From what I heard so far The M1 I have should be the best choice of the three for me.
But would like to hear from someone that actually has all three.
No hurry of course!

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #935 of 2,193
  but these guys are asking 2.5k .... while HD800 is now only $800 and sometimes $500 - $600 as used. HD800S is $1499.
I don't understand why SEM1 is too expensive.

The stock HD800 has piercing highs though. Also I don't think your use of the HD800 is fair. A modded HD800 (with Anax + Super Dupont) is arguably the best headphone in the world, and easily bested a Stax SR009 with Blue Hawaii and Hifiman HE1000 in Inner Fidelity's shootout last year, and IMO better than the Focal Utopia as well.

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #936 of 2,193
Hi guys.

First of all - Mostly I silently follow this forum. Also, I don't consider myself as an audiophile although I do happen to have some good gear and listening experience :)

I read this thread more than half way and saw some posts mentioning measurements and graphs etc, and comparisons with TH900 and HD800 etc, so I am tempted to post (I do have both)

I will keep it brief
- went to Biccamera in Yurakucho, Tokyo today and tried these headphones with Onkyo DP-X1. I bought a new pair on the spot after few minutes of listening
- I echo what has been said about this headphone inheriting the best of TH900 and HD800 and having its own sound signature. Nothing to add to it.
- I am now listening to these headphones at my home in quite environment. Right out of the box these are easily one of the best headphones I have ever listened to.
- did someone said in thread earlier that presentation is so good that he/she looked around in the room to see where some of the sound was coming from? He/she was dead right. Happened to me within 2 mins of putting the first song.
- To my ears, HD 800 pales in comparison, great resolution but clinical. Also very bright. TH900 is one of my favorites but this one has much more balanced presentation.
- Few hundred hours worth of burn-in? I wonder what these will sound like then!! These are going to be run continuously for next few days.
- craftsmanship is awesome! Comfort is supreme.
- my headphone is #423. I asked the sales rep to call Pioneer Japan and check, confirmed Pioneer isn't planning to make and sell only 1000 pieces and that there are no plans to discontinue.

I have quite a few headphones including planar magnetic and I have a feeling these will beg to claim top spot in my collection.

Happy listening! Worth the price to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #937 of 2,193
Hi guys.

First of all - Mostly I silently follow this forum. Also, I don't consider myself as an audiophile although I do happen to have some good gear and listening experience
smily_headphones1.gif

I read this thread more than half way and saw some posts mentioning measurements and graphs etc, and comparisons with TH900 and HD800 etc, so I am tempted to post (I do have both)

I will keep it brief
- went to Biccamera in Yurakucho, Tokyo today and tried these headphones with Onkyo DP-X1. I bought a new pair on the spot after few minutes of listening
- I echo what has been said about this headphone inheriting the best of TH900 and HD800 and having its own sound signature. Nothing to add to it.
- I am now listening to these headphones at my home in quite environment. Right out of the box these are easily one of the best headphones I have ever listened to.
- did someone said in thread earlier that presentation is so good that he/she looked around in the room to see where some of the sound was coming from? He/she was dead right. Happened to me within 2 mins of putting the first song.
- To my ears, HD 800 pales in comparison, great resolution but clinical. Also very bright. TH900 is one of my favorites but this one has much more balanced presentation.
- Few hundred hours worth of burn-in? I wonder what these will sound like then!! These are going to be run continuously for next few days.
- craftsmanship is awesome! Comfort is supreme.
- my headphone is #423. I asked the sales rep to call Pioneer Japan and check, confirmed Pioneer isn't planning to make and sell only 1000 pieces and that there are no plans to discontinue.

I have quite a few headphones including planar magnetic and I have a feeling these will beg to claim top spot in my collection.

Happy listening! Worth the price to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, great pair of phones you chose!
I also have the TH-900 and M1 and used to have the HD800. My conclusions are the same.

And glad to see some VERIFIED INFO on the limited vs. non-limited debate for a change, nice one!

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #938 of 2,193

Yep, I'm trying to find out if the Sony and either the Utopia or Elear are for my taste.
From what I heard so far The M1 I have should be the best choice of the three for me.
But would like to hear from someone that actually has all three.
No hurry of course!

I don't have Utopia or Elear but I do have Sony MDR Z1R. I cant do a fair comparison at the moment (and that would still be my opinion only anyway) as the Z1R hasn't been broken in yet but both headphones are stunning in looks with great build and awesome craftsmanship, very comfortable. Soundwise - right out of the box Z1R is more bassy and didn't invoke the same emotion for me. Bas aside it also resolves quite well. I will see how it goes after burn-in. 

Right now both headphones are getting their burn in. Z1R on the stand and Master 1 on my head. I should be in bed now but just cant get Master 1 off my head :)

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #939 of 2,193

Congrats, great pair of phones you chose!
I also have the TH-900 and M1 and used to have the HD800. My conclusions are the same.

And glad to see some VERIFIED INFO on the limited vs. non-limited debate for a change, nice one!

No problem. I am also planning to call Pioneer some time and check out how many Masters they have hand-crafting this headphone. Just curious!

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #940 of 2,193

The stock HD800 has piercing highs though. Also I don't think your use of the HD800 is fair. A modded HD800 (with Anax + Super Dupont) is arguably the best headphone in the world, and easily bested a Stax SR009 with Blue Hawaii and Hifiman HE1000 in Inner Fidelity's shootout last year, and IMO better than the Focal Utopia as well.

I cant agree more. Switching to balanced cable and use with dark amps does help a bit but my another issue with HD800 is that it tries to be precise to the point it ends up being more clinical than engaging. That said, a lot of people like it so its a matter of personal taste...

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #941 of 2,193

I don't have Utopia or Elear but I do have Sony MDR Z1R. I cant do a fair comparison at the moment (and that would still be my opinion only anyway) as the Z1R hasn't been broken in yet but both headphones are stunning in looks with great build and awesome craftsmanship, very comfortable. Soundwise - right out of the box Z1R is more bassy and didn't invoke the same emotion for me. Bas aside it also resolves quite well. I will see how it goes after burn-in. 

Right now both headphones are getting their burn in. Z1R on the stand and Master 1 on my head. I should be in bed now but just cant get Master 1 off my head :)

Nice, do keep us posted on the Pioneer vs. Sony when you and the phones are up to it, really interested!

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #942 of 2,193
I still have yet to do a proper side by side comparison. Between the Pioneer and the Sony as currently they are in 2 different locations. I like both very much. The Pioneer is more in your face, with greater topnend energy, akin to the HD800 but with an injection of bass. The Sony pulls off a different trick which is a warmer presentation but with highl resolving power. There is more hall ambience than the Pioneer which feels more up close and personal. The Pioneer probably has more punch and a wider stage but the Sony is no slouch in that department considering it is a closed hp. For me personally I currently prefer the Sony as it seems to let me get out of the way and into the music more than the Pioneer. I'm not yet ready to be definitive but if you pushed me today it would be the Sony I would reach for. But as I say it is down to personal taste I think.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #943 of 2,193
I still have yet to do a proper side by side comparison. Between the Pioneer and the Sony as currently they are in 2 different locations. I like both very much. The Pioneer is more in your face, with greater topnend energy, akin to the HD800 but with an injection of bass. The Sony pulls off a different trick which is a warmer presentation but with highl resolving power. There is more hall ambience than the Pioneer which feels more up close and personal. The Pioneer probably has more punch and a wider stage but the Sony is no slouch in that department considering it is a closed hp. For me personally I currently prefer the Sony as it seems to let me get out of the way and into the music more than the Pioneer. I'm not yet ready to be definitive but if you pushed me today it would be the Sony I would reach for. But as I say it is down to personal taste I think.

Thanks. Nice to hear some different opinions.

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #944 of 2,193
My ranking that suites my taste:

1. Abyss ( Not the most correct or precise, but they run over the rest in my book with proper setup)
2. SR-009 / SR-007 MkII ( Magically detailed sound, the 007 got slight more rich bass than 009)
3. LCD-4 ( Very similar to the Abyss but more intimate with smller soundstadge and a slight lesser low end.
4. SR Master 1 ( A little coloured and not the most precise, and does not got the best separation clarity)
5. Focal ( because of the not so involving presentation / small soundstadge , and the anorectic low end / flat sound)
Perfect for the laboratory.

6. The rest of the pack...

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #945 of 2,193
My ranking that suites my taste:

1. Abyss ( Not the most correct or precise, but they run over the rest in my book with proper setup)
2. SR-009 / SR-007 MkII ( Magically detailed sound, the 007 got slight more rich bass than 009)
3. LCD-4 ( Very similar to the Abyss but more intimate with smller soundstadge and a slight lesser low end.
4. SR Master 1 ( A little coloured and not the most precise, and does not got the best separation clarity)
5. Focal ( because of the not so involving presentation / small soundstadge , and the anorectic low end / flat sound)
Perfect for the laboratory.

6. The rest of the pack...

I certainly do not agree with the first two. I heard the Abyss and found it crappy at best.
I heard the SR009 and had the SR007MKII and never found them specal.
I had an LCD-XC and liked the LCD3 just as much but never as much as dynamics.
I've known for years now that dynamiuc phones are much more to my liking than orthos and electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back