Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,966 of 2,189
Hi guys,

I will have the HP next week, I would like to change the cable to balance, should I buy the original cable or can you recommend me some?
Nice, welcome to the club.

I personally do not recommend the Pioneer balanced cable. The sound signature is generic, but the other issue is the outer cable sheath fraying or opening, and the inner cotton sheath coming out. It's not too bad if you don't pay for the cable, but if you're finding one then I'd get a custom one made.

One issue, though, is that the SE-Master1 uses an MMCX connector, which is only common on Custom In Ear Monitor earphones. That's not hard to find, but you might need to actually discuss it with some builders as they may take the topic cautiously. Good luck either way.

Dec 24, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,967 of 2,189
Hi guys,

I will have the HP next week, I would like to change the cable to balance, should I buy the original cable or can you recommend me some?
I have a custom, balanced gold plated copper cable on my set and the SE-Master1’s sound superb. My issue is I need some new ear pads. They are starting to flake.

Dec 25, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,968 of 2,189
I have a custom, balanced gold plated copper cable on my set and the SE-Master1’s sound superb. My issue is I need some new ear pads. They are starting to flake.
I have asked Dekoni for genuine leather earpads, but no luck so far.
Anyone skilled enough to make same size leather earpads?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,969 of 2,189
I would take anything at this point. Real leather would be preferable as they would last longer and not flake like the pleather pads that come with the SE-Master1’s.

These headphones sound to good to not have replacement parts made available.

Dec 25, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,970 of 2,189
I would take anything at this point. Real leather would be preferable as they would last longer and not flake like the pleather pads that come with the SE-Master1’s.

These headphones sound to good to not have replacement parts made available.
You guys should be able to check with Vesper Audio in Belarus now. There's no big hassle with coordinating the shipping. Usually about 45days for the leather-related work, and prices are very reasonable.

I just sent my SE-Master1s there for other work and they made new, real leather this time, earpads while they were there.

The issue is still with the foam inserts that are glued to the earpads. For a DIY'er, you've just got to get some foam and double sided tape ready for that part.

There are pictures somewhere within the past 10 pages or so.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,972 of 2,189
You guys should be able to check with Vesper Audio in Belarus now. There's no big hassle with coordinating the shipping. Usually about 45days for the leather-related work, and prices are very reasonable.

I just sent my SE-Master1s there for other work and they made new, real leather this time, earpads while they were there.

The issue is still with the foam inserts that are glued to the earpads. For a DIY'er, you've just got to get some foam and double sided tape ready for that part.

There are pictures somewhere within the past 10 pages or so.
Thanks for the info. I'll reach out to Vesper Audio to see if they can make some pads for my SE-Master1's.

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,974 of 2,189

This is intriguing, did you notice any significant change in the sound signature after the pad swap? Also, do you have pics of the new pads?

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #1,975 of 2,189
This is intriguing, did you notice any significant change in the sound signature after the pad swap? Also, do you have pics of the new pads?
I haven't gotten them back yet, they're on the way and I should get them in about 2 weeks.

All the pictures and discussion throughout encouraged me. Vesper staff were always on the ball and we troubleshooted quite a few issues across the 4 headphones I sent them. I'll post some pictures once I get the SEM1s back.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #1,976 of 2,189
Found this photo online maybe will help with taking the headphones apart to install new earpads ?

Attachments

• pioneer-se-master-1-over-ear-headphones-[3]-18855-p.png
    pioneer-se-master-1-over-ear-headphones-[3]-18855-p.png
    106 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,978 of 2,189
Thinking of getting the SEM1
or IE900. Same price, decisions, decisions.
Quite different use-cases. One is an open-back headphone and the other is an IEM that isolates fairly well. Depends on how much you value isolation and form factor. If you don't care about isolation, the choice is easy in my eyes :sweat_smile:.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #1,979 of 2,189
Quite different use-cases. One is an open-back headphone and the other is an IEM that isolates fairly well. Depends on how much you value isolation and form factor. If you don't care about isolation, the choice is easy in my eyes :sweat_smile:.
Had the SEM1 in the past and I really liked them. Only thing that I want is real leather earpads, but I will buy them again soon.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,980 of 2,189
I just got my hands on a mint SE-Master1 and could use the community's advice.

After my first couple of days of listening, I find that some tracks/genres sound wonderful (mostly female vocals and instrumental; and an odd rap track for some reason), while others sound quite bad (mostly male vocals, and I think busy tracks). I have a rather sizable headphone collection, and this one is unique in how divergent my experience is between very good and very bad. I can't make sense of it yyet, but I suspect there may be an EQ profile that can go a long way here, which is something I don't normally do (but can easily do in Roon).

Can anyone recommend an EQ profile, or any other insight into the above?

Deepyly appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back