Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jun 26, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #992 of 1,830
I could never get the Pioneer to reliably connect to the mojo. Got so frustrated I sold the mojo in the end
u

That's weird my pioneer connects flawlessly to the mojo.

When I use the music app it defaults to the usb player pro so it automatically switches output whenever I power on the mojo while connected via otg.

The mojo also outputs streaming via bubbleupnp and usb player pro although this is a bit clunky and works maybe 85% of the time( the 2 apps have to work together and sometimes I need to force stop them for them to play nice together)

My problem is the current music player app gives some weird static when outputting either thru the jack or usb otg. I uninstalled the updates to the music app and it's all good now. Wonder why that happened.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #993 of 1,830
I tried out the GoneMAD app for the first time at the weekend which has addressed my missing album art and last.fm scrobbling issues.

Customisable as hell, looks great and sounds perfectly acceptable to my ears with mainly 16 bit ALAC.

Just wish it has a cooler sounding app name but its now on my Pioneer, Samsung S7 phone and GalaxyTab S as the audio player of choice.

Would also be good if a config file could be synced across devices though ... so many menu options that its frustrating to get one device setup and then have to remember all the menu options for the others!

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #994 of 1,830
Just installed the Poweramp app on the Pioneer (have used it previously on Android phone). Plays nice with last.fm scrobbling apps, downloads missing album art... All nice.

Two questions:

1) am I technically sacrificing audio quality? (all tracks 16bit ALAC)

2) base volume is about twice that of stock app and Spotify... Made for an embarrassing coffee incident at work earlier when I went from Spotify to Poweramp :confused:... Can this be balanced? Variable line out enabled in settings

Turn on MusicFX on poweramp the volume will become normal.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #995 of 1,830
BIG NEWS

Pioneer, under O&P Innovations, has made a huge firmware/app software update that has changed how powerful the Pioneer XDP-100R will now be.
Link to TechRadar source here.

TechRadar already wrote a pretty good review of the XDP-100R, but at the time were concerned over the players' resolving power.
With the new update, that concern has now been squashed, and the DAP has been elevated: '...for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today.'

Here is the full extract of the updated section of the review regarding the new update:

Update:
Our main issue with the otherwise excellent Pioneer XDP-100R was the fact that its actual output was pretty weak. You had to have the discrete volume control pushed up to almost the maximum to be able to hear it clearly out in the wild.

Originally the volume had been limited in line with certain legislation, but with one of the latest system updates Pioneer has introduced a feature called 'variable line-out' which unlocks the full power of the XDP-100R's output.

The feature has been pushed out to existing models and just needs to be turned on in the system settings and the device rebooted. And from then on you can power high-end headphones and high-res audio tracks to ear-bleeding volumes.

Nice.

The sort of high-quality headphones you'll want to run with the Pioneer's high-quality innards need a greater output than standard cans, and the HRA tracks the XDP-100R loves to play also deserve a little extra volume too.

We've been testing the new feature for a while now and, for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today. It's also a great sign the engineers are still working on ways to make it even better.

Roll on MQA…

I hope that the Onkyo DP-X1 also receives this update, but for you guys and gals, go enjoy the higher output power on your hungry cans!

^^

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #996 of 1,830
BIG NEWS

Pioneer, under O&P Innovations, has made a huge firmware/app software update that has changed how powerful the Pioneer XDP-100R will now be.
Link to TechRadar source here.

TechRadar already wrote a pretty good review of the XDP-100R, but at the time were concerned over the players' resolving power.
With the new update, that concern has now been squashed, and the DAP has been elevated: '...for the money, that little update has made the Pioneer XDP-100R easily one of the best, and most versatile, dedicated HRA players on the market today.'

Here is the full extract of the updated section of the review regarding the new update:
I hope that the Onkyo DP-X1 also receives this update, but for you guys and gals, go enjoy the higher output power on your hungry cans!

^^

I believe that's an old update as there is no date on it except for the original article which is Feb 12 2016. I will check my XDP tonight when I get home but I think I did see the Variable Output option already. Pioneer's site has no info except for the X-DAP Link firmware update from April.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #997 of 1,830
I wonder if there is a clear log of the firmwares improvements. That volume for EU unit was several firmwares ago...

Now I'm at

0.1.30.8_20160323.000230

This is the SW version in the info of the DAP. Unless I am missing something, I didn't had to install the firmware updater at all. All the updates were successive when I first connected the DAP to the Internet.

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #999 of 1,830
Does this variable output setting actually work?

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,000 of 1,830
Yeah guys sorry for the post.

Got cleared up on the Onkyo DP-X1 thread that it's an old update, but was only recently published on mainstream tech website.

However, at least that in itseldlf is cool, that this DAP had had been promoted on said mainstream tech site!

Everyone wins yay!

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #1,001 of 1,830
Does anyone else experience audible noise using streaming apps and IEMs or is it just me?  It's not gain related, the noise is not present using the music app. It's frustrating, a real black mark on an otherwise excellent DAP

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,002 of 1,830
Nope, I only get intermittent music when I have a bad wifi signal with tidal because I unchecked the variable bit rate option forcing high resolution on all the time.

It's sick to have access at such a library in high resolution with HD800S and this portable device! Doing dishes or laundry never been less painful haha!

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,003 of 1,830
Does anyone know how to change the 'wallpaper' image on the player home screen?

Is it just a case of putting an image file in the correct folder to make it visible to the wallpaper option when you long press on the home screen?  If so, which folder does the image need to be in?

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,004 of 1,830
I'm looking into getting my first DAP since the sound quality from my galaxy note 4 is dismal. I've pretty much narrowed my search to this one, the fiio x7 or the onkyo dp-x1. Since I don't have a balanced cable, is there any other advantage of going with the onkyo over this one?

Also, I plan to use PowerAmp or another player. I like that the DAP uses Android and this supports alternative music applications. But I've seen some uncertainty and contrary claims that apps other than the stock app don't use the ESS DAC. Has this been settled?

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #1,005 of 1,830
I'm looking into getting my first DAP since the sound quality from my galaxy note 4 is dismal. I've pretty much narrowed my search to this one, the fiio x7 or the onkyo dp-x1. Since I don't have a balanced cable, is there any other advantage of going with the onkyo over this one?

Personally, I thought they sounded somewhat different even in SE. At least to me, the Pioneer had a brighter tone while the Onkyo seemed to have the warmer tone. The Onkyo sounded more natural to me. Otherwise, in terms of giving you details, soundstage size, and whatnot they were pretty similar to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back