Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
May 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #886 of 1,830

Mine came in from Japan. I was worried it wouldn't fit without the top handle, and also worried that it wouldn't be very nice because I couldn't find many pictures online. Needless to say I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I like the top bumper but as you can see my Audioquest interconnect cable is too big for it.

can you confirm this is a genuine Pioneer made case? reason I ask is Ive just received a case from Japan I'd order as a pioneer product (and been stung with a Royal mail handling fee which was more than the excise duty
mad.gif
) and its badged Pioneer but made by 'Deff Corp'. the quality isn't what I'd expect from pioneer either, so wondering if Ive been sent a non oem one. As it worked out nearly £55 I'm obviously a wee bit perturbed..

Can post yr pics let us see? 

May 14, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #887 of 1,830
Yep, this is the case I received..

the last one is where the case joins, it appears to be glued, so I don't think it will last very long.
Its not too bad and if I'd of paid £20-£25 I wouldn't be complaining, but at nearly £60 I'm not that impressed.

May 15, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #888 of 1,830
  Yep, this is the case I received..

the last one is where the case joins, it appears to be glued, so I don't think it will last very long.
Its not too bad and if I'd of paid £20-£25 I wouldn't be complaining, but at nearly £60 I'm not that impressed.

Yep mine same as yrs.i only pais 65SGD.... 65 pound is a killer.....

May 16, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #890 of 1,830
Does anyone know how to add album art to files after they have been loaded on the XDP-100R?

I've come from an iPod Classic with all tags etc updated in iTunes where all the album art exists in both iTunes & on the iPod but only about 30% seems to have come across to the Pioneer

May 16, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #891 of 1,830
Has anyone tried MQA on their XDP-100r yet? I have downloaded a file from 2L that was originally recorded at 352 kHz but after decoding it is outputting 48 kHz to my Mojo.

I don't think the mojo decodes MQA, so you are getting the FLAC through the Pioneer's digital out

May 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #892 of 1,830
I don't think the mojo decodes MQA, so you are getting the FLAC through the Pioneer's digital out

You are correct the Mojo will not decode MQA, but the pioneer should. As I understand MQA the decoded output should be the same as the original recording, in this case 352kHz, but the output the pioneer passes to the Mojo is 44kHz not the original 352kHz. Since my first post I have tried another MQA file that was recorded originally at 96kHz and this works correctly, that is to say it outputs 96kHz to the Mojo.

May 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #893 of 1,830
I have one MQA sample file that displays [MQA symbol | 352.8 kHz | PCM | 192 kHz] on the Pioneer.

I do not pretend to understand all that this is telling me but hopefully is of some use 
biggrin.gif

I don't use any additional DAC ... the Pioneer sound good enough to me.

Mark M

May 16, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #894 of 1,830
You are correct the Mojo will not decode MQA, but the pioneer should. As I understand MQA the decoded output should be the same as the original recording, in this case 352kHz, but the output the pioneer passes to the Mojo is 44kHz not the original 352kHz. Since my first post I have tried another MQA file that was recorded originally at 96kHz and this works correctly, that is to say it outputs 96kHz to the Mojo.

What are you using the Mojo for though?  If it is as a DAC then you are not going to get the MQA, I think

May 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #895 of 1,830
Does anyone know how to add album art to files after they have been loaded on the XDP-100R?

I've come from an iPod Classic with all tags etc updated in iTunes where all the album art exists in both iTunes & on the iPod but only about 30% seems to have come across to the Pioneer

I suggest the free software mp3tag to examine and provide art for your tracks. Unfortunately iTunes lives in its own world with a database of external cover art that is transferred to iDevices. Far better is embedding all metadata into tracks. This way they work on any system or player.

May 18, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #896 of 1,830
I need to find a better way of loading/syncing content from PC to XDP. Drag & drop files can be cumbersome. The X-DAP Link software has turned out to be, for a lack of a better term, crappy. One thing I've noticed with X-DAP Link is the Album Artist folders have the first letter cut off. So Coldplay comes up as "oldplay" and there's "age Against the Machine" and "ears For Fears" and so on. Oh the hilarity of it all! So is there something out there that will play nicely with the XDP?

May 19, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #897 of 1,830
I need to find a better way of loading/syncing content from PC to XDP. Drag & drop files can be cumbersome. The X-DAP Link software has turned out to be, for a lack of a better term, crappy. One thing I've noticed with X-DAP Link is the Album Artist folders have the first letter cut off. So Coldplay comes up as "oldplay" and there's "age Against the Machine" and "ears For Fears" and so on. Oh the hilarity of it all! So is there something out there that will play nicely with the XDP?

See my experiences at post #869 on page 58!

Basically, I've not found anything that's perfect but what works best for me is Synology Cloud Server - my music files are on a Synology NAS.  It can be slow and seems to go to sleep and wake up of its own accord, and the music appa don't always sync its library automatically with the synched files, but at least it avoids all the manual hassle of connecting the device via USB and trying to sync via Windows tools, especially X-DAP Link which is really slow and cumbersome.

It's nice that with XDAP Link you can select different destinations for large groups of files, but it's made less useful by the lack of a folders level as I would guess the most likely way you want to split a large music file collection across the two SD cards is via folder. I have my files organised in individual A-Z folders under a general "A-Z" folder but there are also Compilation and Soundtrack folders at that level, so that means adding 28 separate sync jobs (as it's not possible to select multiple folders in one go) and it loses the folder structure when synched.  Also, it has to scan your current music collection every time it loads which takes a long time and the time it takes to resync the device is also really slow. So basically, just to add one new CD I've ripped takes ages.  The Pioneer music app then doesn't always automatically add new tracks to its library, even when autoscan is on. I don't know if it correctly resyncs files that have changed, e.g. if you change metadata in them. I just havne't had hours spare to test this out.

The software is really letting this device down.  I've abandoned the suplied Pioneer sync program and abandoned the stock Pioneer music player app, both due to usability issues and bugs.  I don't know whether I'm not getting the best quality due to use the use of a third-party player, there are conflicting reports as to whether third-party apps can only go through the standard Android music process, but it still sounds OK to me.

May 19, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #898 of 1,830
^
Cool & rats at the same time!
tongue.gif

I have a Synology DS1515+ as well as a Drobo FS where I keep all my media. I'm in the process of transferring my 1TB of audio from the Drobo to the Synology. I've noticed Rocket Player plays the same content a tad louder than the default Audio Player (EQ off) does. I'm not sure either on the whole ESS vs Qualcomm (or whatever it is) chip access when it comes to player apps. I think I'll be sending an email to Pioneer.

May 19, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #899 of 1,830
  ^
Cool & rats at the same time!
tongue.gif

I have a Synology DS1515+ as well as a Drobo FS where I keep all my media. I'm in the process of transferring my 1TB of audio from the Drobo to the Synology. I've noticed Rocket Player plays the same content a tad louder than the default Audio Player (EQ off) does. I'm not sure either on the whole ESS vs Qualcomm (or whatever it is) chip access when it comes to player apps. I think I'll be sending an email to Pioneer.

I'm compiling a list of points to send to Pioneer too, the more people sending in the same questions the better!

I've got 240GB of uncompressed audio. And most manufacturers are still insisting that one 64GB or 128GB expansion slot is enough!  For starters, they should be moving to full size SD cards instead of micro SD.  Slimness is not a huge issue for a DAP, indeed the XDP-100R is probably thicker and heavier than any phone has been in the last 7 years.

Note that Rocket Player currently has a bug which means it can't see the second card slot. Fixed apparently in version 4.0 which doesn't seem to have been released yet. The best music player I've found so far is Gone Mad. These two are the only ones I've kept out of the loads I've downloaded to test.

May 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #900 of 1,830
I'm compiling a list of points to send to Pioneer too, the more people sending in the same questions the better!

I've got 240GB of uncompressed audio. And most manufacturers are still insisting that one 64GB or 128GB expansion slot is enough!  For starters, they should be moving to full size SD cards instead of micro SD.  Slimness is not a huge issue for a DAP, indeed the XDP-100R is probably thicker and heavier than any phone has been in the last 7 years.

Note that Rocket Player currently has a bug which means it can't see the second card slot. Fixed apparently in version 4.0 which doesn't seem to have been released yet. The best music player I've found so far is Gone Mad. These two are the only ones I've kept out of the loads I've downloaded to test.

The Pioneer app was compiled into the kernel in order to access the ESS. No other app can access that hardware from userspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back