Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
May 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #841 of 1,830
More pics of the XDP-100R without its top and bottom bumpers :)

P.S It is pretty! 

May 4, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #842 of 1,830
  Just tested using n7player on the XDP-100R, and I can be pretty sure that the player is choosing the DAC on the Snapdragon chip instead of the separate ESS DAC & AMP chips. Sound quality was significantly reduced with a more distorted/grainy sound, will the overall sound appearing muddy and very closed in.

Using in built player vs n7player you can definitely hear a big difference.

Want to share in case anyone was wondering, I guess this maybe the same case if you tried this on the DP-X1.

Yup, it does use the SoC DAC on the Qualcomm AFAIK in the WCD9330.

May 4, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #843 of 1,830
Does that mean that 3rd party apps like Tidal also use The SoC DAC? Wouldn't that defeat the point of trumpetting on about being the first to rollout MQA and all that, given that Tidal will eventually be using that too?

I find it odd that companies make you use their app and stop others accessing the good DAC, might as well not bother with having an Android based device if streaming is not going to be at the highest quality available.

May 4, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #844 of 1,830
Does that mean that 3rd party apps like Tidal also use The SoC DAC? Wouldn't that defeat the point of trumpetting on about being the first to rollout MQA and all that, given that Tidal will eventually be using that too?

I find it odd that companies make you use their app and stop others accessing the good DAC, might as well not bother with having an Android based device if streaming is not going to be at the highest quality available.

Can't agree more, what is the point if they let you use 3rd party apps but not allowing you to play with the DAC and amp...

But in the post DPX1, I think the user mentioned that 3rd party apps are using the same built in ESS dac and amp.

May 4, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #845 of 1,830
Can't agree more, what is the point if they let you use 3rd party apps but not allowing you to play with the DAC and amp...

But in the post DPX1, I think the user mentioned that 3rd party apps are using the same built in ESS dac and amp.

Another person, but using the DP-X1:

It isn't really Pioneer/Onkyo locking the DAC & AMP, 3rd Party apps are not simply coded to access the DAC/AMP so they only see the ones built into the SoC. 

Just like when using an external DAC/AMP with an Android phone , some apps are not coded to look or use the external DAC/AMP but something like UAPP is coded to do that. 

May 4, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #846 of 1,830

It isn't really Pioneer/Onkyo locking the DAC & AMP, 3rd Party apps are not simply coded to access the DAC/AMP so they only see the ones built into the SoC. 

Just like when using an external DAC/AMP with an Android phone , some apps are not coded to look or use the external DAC/AMP but something like UAPP is coded to do that. 

From a personal point of view I would find it hard to believe that Onkyo and Pioneer coded an API to direct ALL audio to the ESS DAC. I'll have a chat with Pioneer and see if I can get the information. I certainly hear a difference in performance from the built in hard coded music app and TIDAL et al. However I still find the Pioneer sounding great with TIDAL though.

May 4, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #847 of 1,830

From a personal point of view I would find it hard to believe that Onkyo and Pioneer coded an API to direct ALL audio to the ESS DAC. I'll have a chat with Pioneer and see if I can get the information. I certainly hear a difference in performance from the built in hard coded music app and TIDAL et al. However I still find the Pioneer sounding great with TIDAL though.

That's my point, they didn't.

But it would've been a great idea if they had written an API to do so, it would not of been too challenging for them and it would've meant that Streaming & 3rd Party music apps could use the ESS DAC.

May 4, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #849 of 1,830

Is that "internal dac and amp" mean the SoC? I am confused LOL
I thought he is refering to the ESS dac LOL

May 4, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #850 of 1,830
Is that "internal dac and amp" mean the SoC? I am confused LOL
I thought he is refering to the ESS dac LOL

It is debatable on which dac/amp he is referring to.

but because he is referring to the degraded sound and distortion heard when using streaming/3rd party music apps, he is referring to the dac/amp on the SoC.

May 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #852 of 1,830
What is an SoC? 
confused.gif

May 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #853 of 1,830
  What is an SoC? 
confused.gif

SoC is System on Chip.

Refers to integrated computer systems on a single chip, something like the Snapdragon chips found in smartphones.

Here is the Wiki for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip

May 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #854 of 1,830
  For anyone insterested, below are pics of the XDP-100R without the top and bottom bumpers.

Out of curiosity...

The Onkyo DP-X1 form factor is similar to the XDP. Would a protective case designed for the Onkyo fit the Pioneer with it's bumpers (especially bottom) removed? The case I have now for the XDP would be too long if I were to remove the bottom bumper. I like the top one as it acts as a protective guard for the headphone jack.

May 4, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #855 of 1,830

Out of curiosity...

The Onkyo DP-X1 form factor is similar to the XDP. Would a protective case designed for the Onkyo fit the Pioneer with it's bumpers (especially bottom) removed? The case I have now for the XDP would be too long if I were to remove the bottom bumper. I like the top one as it acts as a protective guard for the headphone jack.

Potentially!

They are roughly the same size.

XDP-100R: 128.9 x 75.9 x 13.0mm (WxHxD)
DP-X1:       129.0 x 75.9 x 12.7mm (WxHxD)

The slight different shape may cause the case to have a slight gap at the back, where the DP-X1 is flat on its back but the XDP-100R has a slight angle to its back right side. 

But it maybe worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back