Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Jan 6, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #511 of 1,830
Well the ebay cable I ordered (thanks for the recommendation!) arrived and it appears to work!  No issues connecting with the music player as yet. Not tried it with Qobuz yet.  Cross fingers it provides a stable solution long term.

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #512 of 1,830
  Well the ebay cable I ordered (thanks for the recommendation!) arrived and it appears to work!  No issues connecting with the music player as yet. Not tried it with Qobuz yet.  Cross fingers it provides a stable solution long term.

Great!
Glad you sorted this out :)

It should work with Qobuz, it does for me with Tidal

As for me, my Mojo is going back to Chord for repair... no fix for the volume issue :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #513 of 1,830
understanding which OTG will work with XDP is a bit of a PITA As it is not just those that came with my Hugo that are problematic.

Spent a long time just listening to the unit as a standalone player through RHA T 20, volume limitation is currently my biggest bugbear . Any idea whether Pioneer will provide a FW update to undo this and place them on a morlecel playing field with competitors?

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #514 of 1,830
understanding which OTG will work with XDP is a bit of a PITA As it is not just those that came with my Hugo that are problematic.

Spent a long time just listening to the unit as a standalone player through RHA T 20, volume limitation is currently my biggest bugbear . Any idea whether Pioneer will provide a FW update to undo this and place them on a morlecel playing field with competitors?

You mean which cable?
I wonder if that the XDP or Chord's products, maybe Mojo users reporting trouble finding the right one...

Yep, volume issue was a deal breaker for me and no I don't think they plan a firmware update... I am not even sure volume reaches 85dB (EU limitation...) at full 160.

I am getting a DP-X1 from PriceJapan instead that should fix it!

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #515 of 1,830
I tried OTG that came with Hugo, that is either faulty or does not meet XDP spec, not sure this is the case as two other OTG have not worked properly. I bought a no-name from Amazon and that has worked fine.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #516 of 1,830
I tried OTG that came with Hugo, that is either faulty or does not meet XDP spec, not sure this is the case as two other OTG have not worked properly. I bought a no-name from Amazon and that has worked fine.

No-name stuff seems to work fine indeed, although my Forza Android LOD works as well.
I tried the XDP with FiiO E18 and it worked with cables that didn't work with the Mojo so there is some "sensitivity" to Chord products on USB maybe?

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #517 of 1,830
No-name stuff seems to work fine indeed, although my Forza Android LOD works as well.
I tried the XDP with FiiO E18 and it worked with cables that didn't work with the Mojo so there is some "sensitivity" to Chord products on USB maybe?

I wonder. My cheap Ebay cable worked like a dream with Qobuz streaming 24/96 last night :thumbsup: Finally :grinning:

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #518 of 1,830
I wonder. My cheap Ebay cable worked like a dream with Qobuz streaming 24/96 last night :thumbsup: Finally :grinning:

Great news :)
Maybe we should start a list of which cables work and which don't with links...

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #519 of 1,830
Ordered one, should be in tomorrow. 

Question; Would the Pioneer Xpa-700 be good with this or is it not needed? Is the dap as loud as the amp? Also, the amp has balance output. Which cables would work with this? I'm thinking on getting Shure SE846 or JVC FX850 to pair with this setup and would want to upgrade my cables to balanced.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #520 of 1,830
  Ordered one, should be in tomorrow. 

Question; Would the Pioneer Xpa-700 be good with this or is it not needed? Is the dap as loud as the amp? Also, the amp has balance output. Which cables would work with this? I'm thinking on getting Shure SE846 or JVC FX850 to pair with this setup and would want to upgrade my cables to balanced.

The amp is rated at 100mW at 32ohms, the DAP 75mW at the same impedance, the dac part looks fairly similar to the XDP-100 with ESS9018K2M. The benefit would be balanced out, but then DP-X1 would be more powerful (150mW) and cheaper than XDP-100 + XPA-700.

I think the XDP should be loud enough, what kind of headphone you need to drive? 

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #521 of 1,830

The amp is rated at 100mW at 32ohms, the DAP 75mW at the same impedance, the dac part looks fairly similar to the XDP-100 with ESS9018K2M. The benefit would be balanced out, but then DP-X1 would be more powerful (150mW) and cheaper than XDP-100 + XPA-700.

I think the XDP should be loud enough, what kind of headphone you need to drive? 

Fidelio X2, Shure SRH1540, Senn HD650, AKG K712, Fostex TP20 MK3, various iems... normal stuff.

Also, what kind of balance output is it? Where can I get aftermarket balanced headphone and iem cables that work with the pioneer amp? I may get the sony pha 3 as that amp seems more powerful.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #522 of 1,830

Fidelio X2, Shure SRH1540, Senn HD650, AKG K712, Fostex TP20 MK3, various iems... normal stuff.

Also, what kind of balance output is it? Where can I get aftermarket balanced headphone and iem cables that work with the pioneer amp? I may get the sony pha 3 as that amp seems more powerful.

It's 2.5mm TRRS, so identical to AK for example. It seems to become the standard these days.

For the price I'd get Chord Mojo (I had it for a month) over the PHA-3 (that I had for a year), even single ended the Mojo has better separation and dynamics and it will drive your harder headphones better (440mW output). I have read good things about Mojo + HD650.

This being said the XDP without EU limitations is still 75mW @ 32ohms, not to bad.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #523 of 1,830

Yep, I returned the X7 due to EMI and I now have an XDP-100, although the X7 sports a "full" ESS9018, my favor goes to the XDP (although the european version is crippled by volume limitations that - crazy as it is with the 2x75mW - don't even sound as loud as my 2x15mW Sony ZX2... I might get a japanese DP-X1 down the line to get the balanced out but right now it's just not available anywhere).

One question, as it does not come with volume limitations I'd be curious to know how loud you listen and with which headphones?
Thanks!

I don't use high quality headphones by any means.  I don't have the money to shell out on something like that (half of the reason I buy these DAPs is simply for aesthetic looks..).

But I will tell you that I've listened with regular apple earpods, and I have a pair of Shure SE215's, and a pair of Westone UM Pro 10 IEMs.  Listening at lv 100 is plenty loud for me.  That's with Mid gain setting.  By default it was set to "high", so I changed it in settings.

I've also used my ATH M50x's, and the same applies.  Between 100-120 is plenty loud.

Hope that helps

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #524 of 1,830
  I don't use high quality headphones by any means.  I don't have the money to shell out on something like that (half of the reason I buy these DAPs is simply for aesthetic looks..). But I will tell you that I've listened with regular apple earpods, and I have a pair of Shure SE215's, and a pair of Westone UM Pro 10 IEMs.  Listening at lv 100 is plenty loud for me.  That's with Mid gain setting.  By default it was set to "high", so I changed it in settings. I've also used my ATH M50x's, and the same applies.  Between 100-120 is plenty loud. Hope that helps

Well you don't have a EU version, I needed high gain and 125 to 140 with the EU version, with a 119dB sensitive IEM...and not in a noisy environment
They went beyond other manufacturer in terms of EU regulations :frowning2:

Anyway, the japanese DP-X1 will fix this :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #525 of 1,830

Great!
Glad you sorted this out :)

It should work with Qobuz, it does for me with Tidal

As for me, my Mojo is going back to Chord for repair... no fix for the volume issue :frowning2:

There are any difference in sound between Tidal and Qobuz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back