Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,546 of 2,535
I use both stock player and Neutron and neither have an option to clear scroll through music sorted by Artist only. What a pain. Even my Opus would be easily do this. Makes finding songs a bit of a hassle

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,547 of 2,535
I'm not sure what you mean, Neutron has an artist, album, song, and file choice for choosing music.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #1,548 of 2,535
I have a tagging problem with Neutron, where it looks at the wrong metadata for Artist. Example is U2 "Joshua Tree" album, which all other apps sort with U2, but Neutron sorts with Brian Eno as Artist. I think Brian is alphabetically first as one of the artists on the album in the MusicBrainz tagging (which I use). It bugged me enough to go back to the stock player. May troubleshoot at some point, but not super motivated.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #1,549 of 2,535
I'll look again tonight but it doesn't seem to download the Metatags right, of course I use a MacBook Pro and file tagging software isn't as simple as on a Windows computer. I forget what I used to use but I would right click on the file and when going to Edit the tags I had a plethora of options including album cover

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #1,550 of 2,535
Typically music playback on Android devices including this player will not be bit perfect, everything is converted to an intermediate sample rate, for example 48Khz. This can result in an up-sample or down-sample conversion.

If UAPP could do this then the quality should be noticeably improved and we will be able to stream and play MQA in UAPP too. This would be a very nice feature to have, something I've been waiting for since I purchased the player nearly two years ago.

Thanks for this.

So... I'm going to act like a complete idiot that knows nothing, which isn't far off anyway!

If I install UAPP on the Pioneer, does the resulting sound, untouched by Android, output via the headphone jack? Or does the UAPP magic only work via USB to an external DAC?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm still learning...

Thanks all.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,551 of 2,535
My understanding is that Neutron skips the Android system-not 100% sure about UAPP, but I think it is true for it as well.
I've always found tagging on my portable devices problematic. Right now, I tag stuff on my PC, either with the file manager (Windows), or with JRiver. I still find many albums don't have Artist listed at all in the "Artist" search.
Generally, I have switched to using the folder search; everything seems to be there OK

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,552 of 2,535
Hi,

today UAPP has realease an update with Hi-res Support for XDP100 and XDP300, and with MQA direct support with XDP300R.
This afernoon I'l try it.

UAPP is incredible.

bye.

That was indeed confidential information. I'm sorry to say we have removed you from alpha testing. It's also misinformation, since the release notes stated that MQA decoding is not supported since we believe it's part of the Music player app that comes with the Pioneer and cannot be used by other apps.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,553 of 2,535
Well, I suppose I'm not supposed to ask about this "alpha" test, but...

(to answer the question-I find the sound better with Neutron compared to stock. Haven't compared UAPP to Neutron, just used to using Neutron from previous players and phones).

Although I don't like to make comments on our colleague players, they have done a very fine job supporting many Android devices, but for the Pioneer however, our Rightmark Audio Analyzer tests show that Neutron does not use a direct audio path and everything gets resampled to 44.1 or 48kHz.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,554 of 2,535
That was indeed confidential information. I'm sorry to say we have removed you from alpha testing. It's also misinformation, since the release notes stated that MQA decoding is not supported since we believe it's part of the Music player app that comes with the Pioneer and cannot be used by other apps.
As I said, I was very excited about the update and I didn't stop to think before posting.
It's a shame to stay out of the alpha version but I guess I deserve it.
Davy, I'm sorry if I caused you a problem with it.

Regards.

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,555 of 2,535
Although I don't like to make comments on our colleague players, they have done a very fine job supporting many Android devices, but for the Pioneer however, our Rightmark Audio Analyzer tests show that Neutron does not use a direct audio path and everything gets resampled to 44.1 or 48kHz.
Would you or your colleagues do a test on the stock music app of 300R for resampling?
Actually I don't think there is significant SRC problem on 300R as some users suggested above, espciespec for the stock app, but it would nice if there is a proof

Mar 9, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,556 of 2,535
Would you or your colleagues do a test on the stock music app of 300R for resampling?
Actually I don't think there is significant SRC problem on 300R as some users suggested above, espciespec for the stock app, but it would nice if there is a proof

I think I did that this week on the 100R and it was ok. The only thing that bothers me on the 100R is that the standard Music app resamples 44.1kHz to 48kHz according to the app itself and the adb dumpsys output.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,557 of 2,535
My understanding is that Neutron skips the Android system-not 100% sure about UAPP, but I think it is true for it as well.
I've always found tagging on my portable devices problematic. Right now, I tag stuff on my PC, either with the file manager (Windows), or with JRiver. I still find many albums don't have Artist listed at all in the "Artist" search.
Generally, I have switched to using the folder search; everything seems to be there OK

So does UAPP on the Pioneer bypass the android system, then the resulting audio get a digital to analogue conversion through the 300r, and then get output to the headphone jack? Or does the resulting audio only get output via the USB and need the digital to analogue conversion by an external DAC?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #1,558 of 2,535
It's also misinformation, since the release notes stated that MQA decoding is not supported since we believe it's part of the Music player app that comes with the Pioneer and cannot be used by other apps.

I guess this means that Tidal masters MQA will never be available on the 300r, either via streaming or offline play?

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,559 of 2,535
Good question about uapp, don't know the answer, curious as well (have them both on my 300r, just use Neutron because I've always liked the sound and I'm used to the UI.
Saved UAPP for going to external DAC (which I haven't had a lot of success with on the 300r, had used it without difficulty on other players. I haven't been able to get the 300r to output to my car via Bluetooth either, though it works with my Deepblue2 speaker OK).

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,560 of 2,535
So does UAPP on the Pioneer bypass the android system, then the resulting audio get a digital to analogue conversion through the 300r, and then get output to the headphone jack? Or does the resulting audio only get output via the USB and need the digital to analogue conversion by an external DAC?

It is bypassing the official Android API and uses an internal audio path of Android that more or less directly talks to the ALSA driver. No USB needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back