Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,517 of 2,535
Its official
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-v30/help/tidal-android-app-update-t3756422

THis just rendered my pio useless to me. Pio can stream Bluetooth to any of my cars, It barely displays metadata when Hard wired in the car.
Until the V30 does the typical LG thing and gets the Boot Loops error. I swore off after my V10 left me without a phone for a week. Once I got the replacement from AT&T I immediately went in and turned it in for a Galaxy S7 Edge.

On that note, the battery life is really getting to me and I'm thinking of switching to the Opus#3. My Silver 300R will be up for sale pretty soon I think. If anybody is interested.

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,518 of 2,535
Never could get my Pioneer to connect with my Honda Accord via Bluetooth

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #1,519 of 2,535
@SteveOliver.

I made a mistake in post #1516. I now realise you were referring to the LG V30 phone and not the Pioneer XDP-30r.

My mistake.

So why have Tidal updated their app to support MQA on an LG phone but not on DAPS that run android? What's the reasoning behind this?

Is it possible to play Tidal offline files using the Pio's music player that does support MQA? I'm guessing not?

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,520 of 2,535
@SteveOliver.

I made a mistake in post #1516. I now realise you were referring to the LG V30 phone and not the Pioneer XDP-30r.

My mistake.

So why have Tidal updated their app to support MQA on an LG phone but not on DAPS that run android? What's the reasoning behind this?

Is it possible to play Tidal offline files using the Pio's music player that does support MQA? I'm guessing not?

No Problem, though the post did confuse me a bit. :)

The reason for MQA on the LG V30 before the pioneer if probably financial (guess only) I'm not holding my breath for Tidal MQA support on Pioneer ever to be honest, if it does turn up it will be a welcome surprise.

Part of the reason may also be that Onkyo sell's MQA music on their website, this is the the best and possibly only way to get MQA on the XDP-300R, if Tidal had streaming for MQA on Pioneer Onkyo would probably sell less MQA music. Also the App must be written to bypass the Android mixer for every device where MQA support is required.

The Pioneer music player fully supports MQA offline payback of locally stored files.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,522 of 2,535
But can you play the Tidal offline files through the Pio music player? I thought you could only play them via the Tidal app?

The only MQA files the pio will most likely play are ones you purchase.......which means the boo boo selection of MQA.
Tidal will not allow offline play of MQA on the Pio. You cant even tell which files are MQA on the pio tidal app.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #1,523 of 2,535
Until the V30 does the typical LG thing and gets the Boot Loops error. I swore off after my V10 left me without a phone for a week. Once I got the replacement from AT&T I immediately went in and turned it in for a Galaxy S7 Edge.

On that note, the battery life is really getting to me and I'm thinking of switching to the Opus#3. My Silver 300R will be up for sale pretty soon I think. If anybody is interested.

Well hopefully is doesnt get the boot loops error. I have two phones so it doesnt matter.....Ill still take my chances with the LG v30 vs the pio which is becoming obsolete.
May never get MQA from tidal, it wont stream via bluetooth to my cars, Sometimes it will not may via aux cord in my cars. Meh

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,524 of 2,535
Bluetooth didn't work in my Honda Accord, as I mentioned, and I couldn't connect it with a cable either-tried a few otg. Use my phone in the car if I want to stream. Radio and CD's for music.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,525 of 2,535
You cant even tell which files are MQA on the pio tidal app.

Yep, I do find that to be quite odd. It's basically the android app as a whole. Some albums I've searched for give two results and it's obvious one is hi-fi and one is MQA. But the app doesn't differentiate between them.

I did contact Tidal about MQA support on android and this odd non-identification of 'masters.'

The response I got was to download the app update when it came out. However, they didn't say the update would resolve these issues.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #1,526 of 2,535
Hi,
Could someone tell me the battery life of this DAP if it is used only with Tidal for online music streaming?

Thank you.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #1,527 of 2,535
Hi,
Could someone tell me the battery life of this DAP if it is used only with Tidal for online music streaming?

Thank you.

Around four hours, it would depend to some extent on the Tidal streaming quality setting though.

If you want to use it for streaming away from a power socket for longer, perhaps find a suitable power bank and short right angled USB wire to keep it supplied with power.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,528 of 2,535
Around four hours, it would depend to some extent on the Tidal streaming quality setting though.

If you want to use it for streaming away from a power socket for longer, perhaps find a suitable power bank and short right angled USB wire to keep it supplied with power.

Thanks for your reply and for your piece of advice.

I´m after an Android DAP with offline Tidal capability, and there is currently a good offer on EBay for this DAP (328,50€). I think all DAPs with this capability suffer from the same battery drain issues when they are used for audio streaming purposes (like the Ibasso DX200).

I´ve read some comments advising to buy a Smartphone instead, such as the LG V30, for streaming purposes, but I prefer a dedicated DAP.

I know Lotoo is currently working on an Android DAP, but the price will probably be too high to be worth it.

I was considering also Fiio DAPs (X5-III, X7-II), but as far as I have read they have some firmware problems I don´t want to face.

I also read about OPUS#2 and #3, but they are not pure Android DAPs, and Onkyo-X1 is essentialy the same as this Pioneer.

Any other recommendation? I think this Pioneer has all I am after at a really interesting price, but I wonder if there will be in a short time a better option talking about battery life.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,529 of 2,535
Thanks for your reply and for your piece of advice.

I´m after an Android DAP with offline Tidal capability, and there is currently a good offer on EBay for this DAP (328,50€). I think all DAPs with this capability suffer from the same battery drain issues when they are used for audio streaming purposes (like the Ibasso DX200).

I´ve read some comments advising to buy a Smartphone instead, such as the LG V30, for streaming purposes, but I prefer a dedicated DAP.

I know Lotoo is currently working on an Android DAP, but the price will probably be too high to be worth it.

I was considering also Fiio DAPs (X5-III, X7-II), but as far as I have read they have some firmware problems I don´t want to face.

I also read about OPUS#2 and #3, but they are not pure Android DAPs, and Onkyo-X1 is essentialy the same as this Pioneer.

Any other recommendation? I think this Pioneer has all I am after at a really interesting price, but I wonder if there will be in a short time a better option talking about battery life.

If it's possible, I'd recommend downloading albums when you're at home or somewhere with power and then use offline play when out and about, turning the wi-fi off.

You'll always be waiting for the next improved/updated model so if this one ticks the boxes now then go for it...

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,530 of 2,535
If it's possible, I'd recommend downloading albums when you're at home or somewhere with power and then use offline play when out and about, turning the wi-fi off.

You'll always be waiting for the next improved/updated model so if this one ticks the boxes now then go for it...
It´s a good point. I agree with you. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back