Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 25, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #512 of 2,535
  Indeed, it comes with a detachable cable with 3.5mm jack with in line microphone and remote for call & music control.
So why does it need a 4 sleeve connector going into the headphone than? 
confused.gif

Are there different versions of the HD598 then?

I found this thread here on Head-fi that shows a HD598 used with a balanced cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719661/sennheiser-hd598-recable-single-sided-balanced

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #513 of 2,535

Are there different versions of the HD598 then?

I found this thread here on Head-fi that shows a HD598 used with a balanced cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/719661/sennheiser-hd598-recable-single-sided-balanced

Sorry, my bad, I mixed up the numbers, it was the HD569 I was looking at (closed back), the picture is right though it has a 4 sleeve connector so the wiring could be similar to the HD598.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #514 of 2,535
Might be a stupid question but I never had any Android based DAP, does the SQ differ between different music apps? Does stock app has any advantages over let's say Sony's Walkman or Poweramp?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #515 of 2,535
Wiencon
Yes the SQ can differ between apps, the 'stock' Pioneer app makes use of the ESS DAC. If a different app can't 'talk' with the DAC the SQ will be lower, because Android will then re-sample the music.

*please correct me if I'm wrong*

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #516 of 2,535
@Wiencon
Yes the SQ can differ between apps, the 'stock' Pioneer app makes use of the ESS DAC. If a different app can't 'talk' with the DAC the SQ will be lower, because Android will then re-sample the music.

*please correct me if I'm wrong*

Well, the DACs are the only thing inside of the device that can produce sound, so there's no bypassing the DAC, just if Android is resampling, the bitrate and operating freq will not match source. Personally, I don't care about resampling in my use case.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #517 of 2,535
As UAPP and other hi-res apps such as the stock one go, I would assume they should all bypass Android's software and play FLAC, as that is what you can do with many Android smartphones with these apps, and is much of the purpose of the hi-res apps in the first place. Also, I don't see much need in bypassing Android if these are the only apps that require hi-res support, since the only other apps you could use for music are streaming services,such as Spotify,Youtube etc. which don't support hi-res (with the exception of tidal, Qobuz etc. which I am almost certain can also bypass Android as it's again used on Android smartphones for the purpose of streaming hi-res music).

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #518 of 2,535
I posted recently that the EQ and bass boost were not working. I found out why. While I was going through the lengthy wait of filling up my 256GB miscrosd card I was enjoying music on Deezer (which in my humble opinion is better then Tidal, Spotify, and Apple Music). Once my sd card was full I fired up some music from the sd card and found that the EQ and bass boost work flawlessly, but only with music stored on the devise. Hope this helps anyone else who has had confusion about this.

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #519 of 2,535
Well, the DACs are the only thing inside of the device that can produce sound, so there's no bypassing the DAC, just if Android is resampling, the bitrate and operating freq will not match source. Personally, I don't care about resampling in my use case.

Yeah but Snapdragon 801 has its own built in DAC (I might be wrong) so it could be possible that 3rd party apps utilise that one. It would be stupid though for Onkyo/Pioneer to not take some measures and force every audio signal to go through the ESS.
It would really help if there was some clarification from the company, right now their support is terrible as I wrote to few divisions of Pioneer about it and didn't receive any answer

And if my music collection is 44,1khz the resampling won't make any difference right?

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #520 of 2,535
Yeah but Snapdragon 801 has its own built in DAC (I might be wrong) so it could be possible that 3rd party apps utilise that one. It would be stupid though for Onkyo/Pioneer to not take some measures and force every audio signal to go through the ESS.
It would really help if there was some clarification from the company, right now their support is terrible as I wrote to few divisions of Pioneer about it and didn't receive any answer

And if my music collection is 44,1khz the resampling won't make any difference right?
Yeah I wish we could get a straight answer on that. I held off on some great deals on this Dap or the x1a because I am waiting for some kind of concrete information on this. As it stands I've almost given up.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #522 of 2,535
Now that the price of the 300R has gone up to 60000 Yen and the X1A has gone up to 70000 I might end up waiting until next Black Friday even if they do confirm it to be using all the DACs all the time :p

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #523 of 2,535
Yeah I wish we could get a straight answer on that. I held off on some great deals on this Dap or the x1a because I am waiting for some kind of concrete information on this. As it stands I've almost given up.

The audio from Tidal for sure went through the proper dac on the Onkyo I used for a few months. It's easy to demonstrate as changes to the filter settings are audible. I would imagine, based on that evidence that all audio goes to the proper dac.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #524 of 2,535
USB Audio Player routes the music through Android (96KHz limit) when you don't use an external DAC via USB OTG, it even shows in the playing screen.
Same goes for PowerAmp V2 and HibyMusic.

So by default all these 3rd party apps play through android and resample using the internal DAC but which DAC they use, Qualcomm 801 standard or ESS9018k2m, that I don't know but would like to know as well.
Still trying to decipher if I can hear a difference in sound quality though.

PowerAmp V3 (now in beta) could eventually be able to bypass Android, AFAIK up until now you need root access tricking PowerAmp to do so.
So register to the PowerAmp forum, and put in a request for XDP-300R bitperfect support all!
http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8735-requests-for-hi-res-support/

This is the information needed:
Pioneer XDP-300R - Digital Audio Player
2x Sabre DAC ES9018k2m + 2x Sabre Amp 9601K
Android version 5.1.1
Kernel Version 3.4.0 android-build@DAP #1
Build Numder LMY47V
SW version 0.1.378_20161104.005251

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #525 of 2,535
USB Audio Player routes the music through Android (96KHz limit) when you don't use an external DAC via USB OTG, it even shows in the playing screen.
Same goes for PowerAmp V2 and HibyMusic.

So by default all these 3rd party apps play through android and resample using the internal DAC but which DAC they use, Qualcomm 801 standard or ESS9018k2m, that I don't know but would like to know as well.
Still trying to decipher if I can hear a difference in sound quality though.

PowerAmp V3 (now in beta) could eventually be able to bypass Android, AFAIK up until now you need root access tricking PowerAmp to do so.
So register to the PowerAmp forum, and put in a request for XDP-300R bitperfect support all!
http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8735-requests-for-hi-res-support/

See my previous post.

And the Android upsampling does not happen in a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back