Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jan 14, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #376 of 2,535
Do you guys know what I sould do to fix the following issue?
I use Pioneer as a transport with my DAC/Amp and every time I connect it via otg the following message pops up:

I check the box but it appears again next time I connect Vantam.
Do you know how to make changes in System settings that Pioneer does not ask to check the box every time I connect my device?
Thanks.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #377 of 2,535
"Micro USB/OTG digital output supports up to DSD 11.2MHz and 24bit/384kHz (DoP/Direct Transfer/PCM conversion)"

Does this mean it can be used as a USB/OTG DAC?

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #378 of 2,535
  "Micro USB/OTG digital output supports up to DSD 11.2MHz and 24bit/384kHz (DoP/Direct Transfer/PCM conversion)"

Does this mean it can be used as a USB/OTG DAC?

No, it is output only, meaning you can attach a USB DAC to it, so use the XDP-300R as transport.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #380 of 2,535
  Are there anymore thoughts/reviews on this unit from those who have one?

Mine will be here early next week. I'll compare it with LG  G5. I may invite my friend over to compare it with his mojo or give an impression from memory.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #381 of 2,535
  Mine will be here early next week. I'll compare it with LG  G5. I may invite my friend over to compare it with his mojo or give an impression from memory.

That would be much appreciated buddy! 
beyersmile.png

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #382 of 2,535
  Are there anymore thoughts/reviews on this unit from those who have one?

Very good for its price.
wink.gif

The only problem I have with it now is limited connectivity with other devices. No optical output.
Yes, it can be connected via OTG but I need the optical for some reasons.  Will be switching to AK100 II.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #383 of 2,535
I missed out on that awesome sale too
frown.gif
.  I had it in my cart about to buy it last week but I waited to check out the AK players at my local shop this weekend... and now the price has gone way up lol.  Was going to buy it today 
rolleyes.gif
  Oh well I guess I'll hold off on a DAP for a while.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #385 of 2,535
@xLuffyzx
Probably the digitizer and the LCD screen are fused, just as with most smartphones nowadays.
It's a >> touch << screen you don't need to press it, a light touch should suffice. If my unit arrives in the upcoming week I'm curious to see if mine is also that sensitive to pressure.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #387 of 2,535
HI guys.. New to the forum. Hey, about this coupon I keep reading about. With the Japanese/English mix, it is difficult to decipher which side is up. Is this the "coupon" at the top of the page which seems to be about a discount if you apply for the Amazon MasterCard, or is that something entirely different? Is the reason I am not seeing the coupon that it is no longer appearing on the Cart page?

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #388 of 2,535
HI guys.. New to the forum. Hey, about this coupon I keep reading about. With the Japanese/English mix, it is difficult to decipher which side is up. Is this the "coupon" at the top of the page which seems to be about a discount if you apply for the Amazon MasterCard, or is that something entirely different? Is the reason I am not seeing the coupon that it is no longer appearing on the Cart page?
we missed out on the sale it looks like :/

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #389 of 2,535
2 month review on the 300r

Ive had this since early november and im still impressed with its sound and build quality.  yes the headphone jack isnt as rock solid as when it was new, but as the gap around it is very tiny, theres not much movement to cause an issue so far.

Sound
 its still impressive, especially with in ear monitors, i find that over ear phones such as the oppo pm3 and hifiman 400i are just not being driven with the punch needed. however i also use a pair of Ath mt40x and they are by far the best phones that i have for this player..much more punch /drive and dynamics when compared to my other over ears. also, plugging this into a headphone amp ( Schiit Vali 2) really knocks it up a notch in terms of punch and depth.. much much better for the tough headphones.

Volume.
it has enough to drive in ears and very efficient over ears to acceptable/loudish levels. it will drive a set of hifiman 400i's to medium levels. but as mentioned above its not satisfying with med/ hard to drive phones. it wont drive anything to extremely high levels, so where as you may only be able to turn your home amp up to 10 or 11 o"clock and thats plenty loud, (plus lots of extra to play with)
this will be very near the top end of its (160) steps with nothing left.. to be honest ive never had this below 115 on any music.. so its pretty much inaudible at anything below 90.
Make sure you have the Variable line out setting enabled, as you will not get anywhere near the needed volume on just headphone out .

EQ.
on the built in pioneer player...USELESS..completely useless.. not worth having there at all.. very little impact on the music with even the biggest of adjustments.. tried it for an hour or so then made sure it was switched off. it may only be useful if you need the very tiniest of tweaks.

The user interface is faultless, but there are issues with streaming apps. tidal has issues with storing music on the sd cards in that there are regular glitches in the music. its extremely off putting.
so much so that i now do not use the memory cards for tidal offline. i use the internal memory and just have 10 or so albums on there at a time..its not ideal, but as its a streaming subscription service i can download at anytime..those issues with the sd cards needs to be sorted soon.. and preferably before the tidal masters comes to this MQA enabled player. 
On the subject of MQA, i have tried it with some content and it is indeed pretty good. but have not tried enough (as its hideously expensive) to say that its better than a ripped flac cd.

Ripped cd;s
sound fantastic. better than any portable player ive ever tried and way better than even tidals standard hifi streaming.

Battery life.
was abysmal at first.. on the first day i got three hours.. then after a full discharge and a couple of cycles it got better..to about 9 hrs ( no wifi/screen off after 15 secs) 
If you try to use this as a video viewing device, or an internet browser you will kill the battery in under 3 hours. but for standard music playback with a bit of screen use you should be getting all day use.

Build.
apart from the headphone slight issue the rest is great. built like a tank. cold and solid piece of metal. the volume control is responsive and is well implemented so you wont suddenly bang the volume to max by just nudging the wheel. it takes a couple of revolutions to make a 10db adjustment. 

Podcasts/Radio

these are fantastic. some of the streaming radio apps like Jazz.ru and  Mcintosh's own app sound wonderful and very loud. the podcast apps work flawlessley and are clear and punchy.

CASES.
the case for the xdp100r fits the 300r almost perfectly. it slides in very snugly with a little extra depth on the case as the 100 has bumpers at the bottom. all in all if you cant get the 300r case then the 100r will do just fine.all the buttons are  just as accessible.

I have tried this in balanced mode, however it sounded a little weird so i think the cable (a trrs cable was connected with the earths on the wrong poles) so i cant comment on proper balanced output as i cant warrant £140 for a cable for the oppo pm3

Connections.
Usb otg will work for my creative E5 dac, but point blank refuses to connect properly to my audiolab 8200dq hifi dac. its a driver issue with the usb firmware on the pioneer and theres nothing i can do.

to sum up for me..i probably should have bought the 100r as im not intending to use this in balanced mode, so the 100 would suffice, i dont even think ill notice the assumed drop in sound quality.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #390 of 2,535

I have tried this in balanced mode, however it sounded a little weird so i think the cable (a trrs cable was connected with the earths on the wrong poles) so i cant comment on proper balanced output as i cant warrant £140 for a cable for the oppo pm3

Do you know if this cable will work? I went for the 2.5mm TRRS option, A&K Onkyo, I hope so I've just ordered one. :)

Your comment has me worried that the earths may be wrong on this one, I thought £105 although high was acceptable (just)

https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/balanced-headphone-cables/pm3-balanced-cable.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back