Pioneer U-05 USB DAC/amp with dual ES9016
Oct 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #91 of 188
  I honestly doubt that the pioneer use external usb 5V, there is no good reason for a dac of this level to do this, even powering the dirty side of an isolator would better be done with another local regulator.

I did not test yet the pioneer variable ouput... but the Alps potentiometer can be troublesome at low volume, when handle by hand and not by the remote: one of my 2 units sometimes has the usual "pot scratch sound". I hope there is no mean thing that appears on the dac output when this happen. That's not a threat on my headphone out.

Pioneer did use Alps RK16 for pot, and some NJR chip for fine adjust. Two volume controllers in the signal path ain't my cup of tea.

I wish they had used dual MUSES72320 (which is also part of NJR) in passive configuration (not using their gain circuit, only the resistive ladder), digitally controlled by some rotary encoder. Pioneer, if you read me, consider this idea.
biggrin.gif

Thanks! It would be my guess as well that the Pioneer uses the internal psu for the 5v usb....but could´nt be too sure about it. I want to make sure to give the Regan as much clean power as possible....but if Pioneer draws the needed power from the USB port itself I will end up with less/more power than intended. If it takes the power internally I do not need to calculate for additional power changes and go for the highest recommended value.
I use an external psu for the Regen, the Regen supplies new USB power to my Pioneer U-5 and will use my Aqvox USB psu as well before entering the Regen. I guess I´m covered with psu´s for my USB! :D

Regarding your thoughts about variable output. Do you mean that it would be a good idea to control the volume from the source? To my own knowledge it would be a bad idea....but since you strike me as a very knowledgeable guy you might have some hidden cards? I personally find the fine adjust very handy and still have´nt heard any draw-backs sound wise when using it....but I still think Pioneer should take your suggestions very seriously though! :wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #92 of 188
  Thanks! Another thing. Do you...or anybody else know if the Pioneer takes the 5v USB power internally or directly from the USB port itself? I have bought the USB Regen (delivery mid of Nov) and in order to get the best possible psu for it I need to know how the USB power is supplied on the U-05. I know this might be a tricky and unusual question....but I am asking here first before starting an investigation...if someone (who already own a Regen) might know?

USB differentiates between bus controllers and devices, only the controlling devices put power on the USB power connectors. Devices only consume power -- or ignore it altogether. And I think the U-05 uses its local power supply to power ints USB input, everything else would just not make sense: it already has a local power supply, cleaning up the potentially noisy USB power coming from some semi-motivated computer...

So I think there's absolutely nothing to be gained by putting anything between the computer and the U-05.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #93 of 188

Thanks! Another thing. Do you...or anybody else know if the Pioneer takes the 5v USB power internally or directly from the USB port itself? I have bought the USB Regen (delivery mid of Nov) and in order to get the best possible psu for it I need to know how the USB power is supplied on the U-05. I know this might be a tricky and unusual question....but I am asking here first before starting an investigation...if someone (who already own a Regen) might know?

USB differentiates between bus controllers and devices, only the controlling devices put power on the USB power connectors. Devices only consume power -- or ignore it altogether. And I think the U-05 uses its local power supply to power ints USB input, everything else would just not make sense: it already has a local power supply, cleaning up the potentially noisy USB power coming from some semi-motivated computer...

So I think there's absolutely nothing to be gained by putting anything between the computer and the U-05.

Thanks. I agree to everything...except the last line. There is absolutely something to gain by adding the USB Regen before entering the Pioneer. Check the USB Regen thread here on Head-Fi, Computer Audiophile and all the good reviews from users and press. Not many that disagree that is brings amazing results despite how expensive DAC you use. It brings the music to life and make it more fun to listen to. The famous John Swenson is involved in this. You should check it out! :wink: I use to think that the shorter audio chain the better...but in computer audio that is far from true! The Regen is however a step in that direction.

You might wonder why I use Stello U3 in front of my Pioneer? The only reason for that is because I use Windows 10 for several audio related reasons...and so far Pioneer does'nt support W10. Stello's TheSycon driver v1.61 works like a sharm though. Pioneer new driver should have been released in September 2015...but still nothing available. Shame on them! :wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #94 of 188
I'm sorry to say, but if there were inherent bit transfer problems I'm sure I'd know... Problems with synchronous transfers are one thing, but async... No. Sorry.

Everyone is free to believe whatever one wants. Still there are positions that are nearer to a valid proof than others. I tend to stay with the former :wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #95 of 188
I'm sorry to say, but if there were inherent bit transfer problems I'm sure I'd know... Problems with synchronous transfers are one thing, but async... No. Sorry.

Everyone is free to believe whatever one wants. Still there are positions that are nearer to a valid proof than others. I tend to stay with the former :wink:

Bits are not bits..since they are effected by noises from ground plane and power related stuff in the audio chain. Noises do not travel in one direction and travels freely through inputs and outputs and is also generated inside the DAC itself. Here is a quote used by Einstein:"Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts". It fits my way of seeing things...which is to believe in science and trust your ears!:wink:

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #96 of 188
Let's end this fruitless discussion. Bits are just bits and especially in case of block transfers secured by checksums.

I'd not say "trust your ears" as our senses are not to be trusted. I'd rather say "enjoy what you hear". And don't believe everything you hear (in every possible way :wink:

If you're interested why I say ones senses cannot be trusted, look out for documents on manipulation of perception, expectation bias and things like that. Generally interesting reads and might help saving lots of money.

Still I think this is going too far off topic and doesn't add anything to the discussion around the U-05

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #97 of 188
Fruitless discussion ended! :wink:

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #98 of 188
I just purchased an U-05-S, and to bounce on an issue raised in the previous posts,the driver was a no-go with windows 10.
I made it work with the same method described by GourouLubrik.
I installed the device driver via the device manager and by specifying the PioneerUSBDA.INF contained in the Win81 subfolder.I also registered (regsvr32 in an admin cmd) the two asio dll (ASIOPIONEERUSBDA64.dll, and it's 32 bit counterpart ASIOPIONEERUSBDA.dll).
I have not made extensive tests ( +- 3hours...) and it seems to work flawlessly with foobar in asio mode.
I will try tonight an alternative method, that should also work  with Windows 2012 R2:
  unzip the driver (Pioneer_USB_DA_Converter_WIN_102.zip) and then, go to the WIN81 folder.
 Open the file CmSetx.dll with a text editor (notepad, notepad++, not MS Word !) and replace the line SupportOS=WIN81 by SupportOS=donotcare

Edit: the second method seems OK. You have to use the setup in the WIN81 folder, not the root one.

Thanks for sharing! Funny, but SupportOS=donotcare worked like a charm. I am a truly happy camper! :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #100 of 188
Thanks hercule! Installed the driver. It actually sounds better than before...especially when I got the extended lock range (3 sec press on lock range button) set up at a minimum. Love the improved SQ!:)

Nov 3, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #101 of 188
Hi everyone. I´m thiking about about getting th U-05. Could anyone owning the device post some more info about the SQ of the hadphone amp and the DAC ? And with what headphones are you using it ? Etc....  There are hardly any reviews available at the moment. Any input wil be much appreciated.
Cheers

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #102 of 188
Hi everyone. I´m thiking about about getting th U-05. Could anyone owning the device post some more info about the SQ of the hadphone amp and the DAC ? And with what headphones are you using it ? Etc....  There are hardly any reviews available at the moment. Any input wil be much appreciated.
Cheers

Here is one review http://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/u-05/review
Reviews is a very subjective matter. Personally I have only used the Pioneer together with my Fostex Th900 and find that they pair extremely well. Used with JplayStreamer for Tidal, Vertere Acoustic Pulse D-Fi USB cable and Entreq Minimus it sounds devine with extended lock range on 4, sharp filter, Hi-bit 32 and upsample on high. Listening to Ane Brun "When I'm free" give me goose bumps and tapping toes. Just the way I want it! :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #104 of 188
Regarding the What Hifi review, I've compared side by side Pioneer U-05 and the Audiolab M-Dac In dac mode (feeding a Violectric HPA-V200)... And I've kept the Pioneer.
I never liked the M-Dac HPA, it was so boring, so It's no match neither...

I've told it before and will told it again, I think that the Pioneer U-05 HPA sounds much better in balanced mode. It does't have enough power for orthodynamics such as Audeze or Fostex T50RP mods. HPA is more on the warm side, but without sacrificing details, I use NoS, Short filters, and maximum lock range available. I've sold the Violectric HPA-V200 for my use with the Fostex TH-900. But would have kept it for IEMs or orthodynamics use.

Although I use id much less, dac output sounds clean, neutral, maybe a little analitycal/cold but not really thin. It's not boring and I find it has excellent dynamic. it's fairly transparent and respect the character of the amplifer. As I told in intro, I prefer the pioneer over my ex Audiolab (but that's not a huge gap, just a matter of preference), and it's much better that the Integrated dac of my Rotel RA-1570 (much bigger gap :)).

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #105 of 188
Regarding the What Hifi review, I've compared side by side Pioneer U-05 and the Audiolab M-Dac In dac mode (feeding a Violectric HPA-V200)... And I've kept the Pioneer.
I never liked the M-Dac HPA, it was so boring, so It's no match neither...

I've told it before and will told it again, I think that the Pioneer U-05 HPA sounds much better in balanced mode. It does't have enough power for orthodynamics such as Audeze or Fostex T50RP mods. HPA is more on the warm side, but without sacrificing details, I use NoS, Short filters, and maximum lock range available. I've sold the Violectric HPA-V200 for my use with the Fostex TH-900. But would have kept it for IEMs or orthodynamics use.

Although I use id much less, dac output sounds clean, neutral, maybe a little analitycal/cold but not really thin. It's not boring and I find it has excellent dynamic. it's fairly transparent and respect the character of the amplifer. As I told in intro, I prefer the pioneer over my ex Audiolab (but that's not a huge gap, just a matter of preference), and it's much better that the Integrated dac of my Rotel RA-1570 (much bigger gap :)).

What was the problem with the TH900/V200 combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back