Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #107 of 438
The dip at 2 kHz is definitely there but probably less than the 10dB measured by a Dutch magazine, maybe 4 dB, and a smaller at 4 kHz, maybe they went a bit too far with the tuning. Curious to see measurements.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #108 of 438
Better put the warning first: do not buy these headphones unless you are prepared to pay an insane price for original replacement ear pads, if you intend to keep them for some years, other headphones even at twice the price may be less expensive in the long run.

Was looking for replacement ear pads in the UK, took a while to find where to order them but after a while got prices and part numbers:

960-0229-040WP - L side synthetic leather
960-0230-040WP - R side synthetic leather
960-0214-040WP - L side velour
960-0215-040WP - R side velour

prices are 60.36 GBP + VAT for each synthetic leather ear pad, and 73.11 GBP + VAT for each velour ear pad, and each really means each, left and right, not the pair, so we are looking at 144.86 GBP for each pair of synthetic leather and 175.46 GBP for each pair of velour ear pads.

Update: got another price, including shipping, 162.28 GBP synthetic leather and 199.54 GBP velour.

What a scam! Good headphones (often expensive) are used a lot and kept for several years, so changing ear pads every year is not uncommon. With these prices cannot recommend the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5 to anyone, a pair of original Beyerdynamic ear pads for the T5p costs approximately 1/3 and there are many aftermarket options.

Pioneer should seriously rethink their policy on replacement parts, making them easier to buy and at a reasonable cost. And no, manufacturing costs are not that high, I could bet the margin over the real cost is around 1000 %.

Although the ear pads on the SE-Monitor 5 are slightly angled and the hole is not circular the mounting is 10 cm diameter so there are other options that will fit. May not sound the same but it doesn’t mean it will sound worse, will report on impressions with aftermarket ear pads.

Update: Dekoni earpads for Fostex TH900 are a perfect fit but shape of the hole is slightly different and depth in the shallowest part has less 3 mm, cost is 1/3 or less. Four options available: velour, sheepskin, fenestrated sheepskin, hybrid.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #109 of 438
Better put the warning first: do not buy these headphones unless you are prepared to pay an insane price for original replacement ear pads, if you intend to keep them for some years, other headphones even at twice the price may be less expensive in the long run.

Was looking for replacement ear pads in the UK, took a while to find where to order them but after a while got prices and part numbers:

prices are 60.36 GBP + VAT for each synthetic leather ear pad, and 73.11 GBP + VAT for each velour ear pad, and each really means each, left and right, not the pair, so we are looking at 144.86 GBP for each pair of synthetic leather and 175.46 GBP for each pair of velour ear pads.

What a scam! Good headphones (often expensive) are used a lot and kept for several years, so changing ear pads every year is not uncommon. With these prices cannot recommend the Pioneer SE-Monitor 5 to anyone, a pair of original Beyerdynamic ear pads for the T5p costs approximately 1/3 and there are many aftermarket options.

Pioneer should seriously rethink their policy on replacement parts, making them easier to buy and at a reasonable cost. And no, manufacturing costs are not that high, I could bet the margin over the real cost is around 1000 %.

Although the ear pads on the SE-Monitor 5 are slightly angled and the hole is not circular the mounting is 10 cm diameter so there are other options that will fit. May not sound the same but it doesn’t mean it will sound worse, will report on impressions with aftermarket ear pads.
Focal charges $200 US for their replacement pads, so not too far off. If you wipe them down after use they will last 10 years. And they give you 2 pairs. I only use the fake leather ones and honestly like them better than leather. Clean them and they will stay new for years

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #110 of 438

did the place you saw those pads also sell pads for the SEMaster 1 open backs?

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #111 of 438
Don't know. Had to contact Pioneer Europe to ask where I could buy replacement ear pads, they gave me the codes and pointed me to the list of authorised service centres, contacted all of them, most didn't reply, others could not find the part numbers in the system, or said they didn't handle spare sales, or pointed me to another company that didn't sell them. After a week got a reply from one of them that went to the trouble of contacting Pioneer because they weren't listed in the system. A big contrast with Oppo when they were in business...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #112 of 438
Don't know. Had to contact Pioneer Europe to ask where I could buy replacement ear pads, they gave me the codes and pointed me to the list of authorised service centres, contacted all of them, most didn't reply, others could not find the part numbers in the system, or said they didn't handle spare sales, or pointed me to another company that didn't sell them. After a week got a reply from one of them that went to the trouble of contacting Pioneer because they weren't listed in the system. A big contrast with Oppo while they were in business...
key words, when they WERE in business! lol
Pioneer is an amazing company in terms of producing some of the best Plasma TV's back in the day and audio gear. But it seems their customer service is lacking. The SEM5 are my favorite closed back, but the fact they are under the radar means they dont sell well which means they arent really a priority for pioneer. shame

Apr 15, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #114 of 438
They are very "natural" sounding. Compared to the elegia the elegia are a bit more detailed but at a cost .The elegia sounds very harsh to my ears in comparison .The mids are so far forward they sound unnatural. The sem5 have very good bass depth and detail. The mids sit perfectly where they should, not recessed in any way but not forward like elegia. The treble extension is good .it is never siblant. It may not extend as far as my senn hd800s but the sem5 can be listened to for hours and never fatigue my ears.
I'd say these are well done headphones w no trickery. They aren't pushing anything out of neutral to make them sound a specific way like the elegia .
I never listed to the Mr speakers so can't compare there. But compared to focal elegia and clear, these to me are a better sounding headphones .I listen to mostly classic rock .out of my hiby r6pro w 4.4 balanced .the combo to me is unbeatable. Very 3d like at times but not in any unatuunna way

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #115 of 438
They are very "natural" sounding. Compared to the elegia the elegia are a bit more detailed but at a cost .The elegia sounds very harsh to my ears in comparison .The mids are so far forward they sound unnatural. The sem5 have very good bass depth and detail. The mids sit perfectly where they should, not recessed in any way but not forward like elegia. The treble extension is good .it is never siblant. It may not extend as far as my senn hd800s but the sem5 can be listened to for hours and never fatigue my ears.
I'd say these are well done headphones w no trickery. They aren't pushing anything out of neutral to make them sound a specific way like the elegia .
I never listed to the Mr speakers so can't compare there. But compared to focal elegia and clear, these to me are a better sounding headphones .I listen to mostly classic rock .out of my hiby r6pro w 4.4 balanced .the combo to me is unbeatable. Very 3d like at times but not in any unatuunna way

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I was concerned by a couple comments about the treble being slightly rolled off - but it sounds like that won't be an issue.

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #117 of 438
Treble rolled off? I can't fathom thinking that about the SEM5, personally. Preferences are what they are, and we all have different formulas for what rings our bell, and I get that not everybody will like the SEM5, but no way the treble is rolled off. I have 50 year old ears and I don't notice any treble roll off. I did with say the HD650 (which is still a magnificent headphone).

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #118 of 438
The Dekoni pads for Fostex TH900 (EPZ-TH900-SK) are a perfect fit. The hole is roughly the same size but circular, the depth is the same in the deepest part but in the shallowest part has less 3 mm. Pads need to be rotated until finding the best position but comfort is slightly better (they tend to stay cooler than synthetic leather).
Dekoni is expensive but the cost of the sheep skin ear pads is less than 1/3 of the original Pioneer synthetic leather and soundvery similar. There will be some variation since the driver has a slightly different position relatively to the pinna, materials are different, but for my ears, if anything, upper mids seem more coherent. Dekoni has velour pads as well, fenestrated sheep skin and hybrid if someone wants to play with them and report differences in sound, I preferred the sound with synthetic leather instead of velour when was using the original pads so sheep skin seemed the best option.

_DSC4014.jpg
_DSC4015.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC4014.jpg
    _DSC4014.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #119 of 438
Selling a pair from UK in case anyone is interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back