Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #76 of 438
I've owned the sem5 for a few months now and I can't get enough of them...

Does anyone else feel like these headphones are skating under the radar? At our local meet the majority of people who tried them said they never knew they existed and most neutral fans said these were the best closed pair they've heard. I'm not surprised but I am surprised that these beautiful headphones are going unnoticed in our community.
Yes, many pages back now I commented about this as well. I also love how nicely you can warm them up and make them more fun sounding with an EQ adjustment to the bass.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #77 of 438
I've owned the sem5 for a few months now and I can't get enough of them...

Does anyone else feel like these headphones are skating under the radar? At our local meet the majority of people who tried them said they never knew they existed and most neutral fans said these were the best closed pair they've heard. I'm not surprised but I am surprised that these beautiful headphones are going unnoticed in our community.
I'm going on a year and a half with the SEM5, surprised how it never really became popular around here. I owned the TH-900 and MDR-Z1. After growing tired of both, (TH-900 recessed mids, MDR-Z1 sloppy bass bleeding into the mids) it was time for something different. I found the SEM5's balanced presentation right up my alley.
The SEM5 may be a little weak in the bass department when used with a phone or tablet. However, when paired with the right amp or used with a little EQ, it's bass balances out next to perfect in my opinion

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #78 of 438
I'm going on a year and a half with the SEM5, surprised how it never really became popular around here. I owned the TH-900 and MDR-Z1. After growing tired of both, (TH-900 recessed mids, MDR-Z1 sloppy bass bleeding into the mids) it was time for something different. I found the SEM5's balanced presentation right up my alley.
The SEM5 may be a little weak in the bass department when used with a phone or tablet. However, when paired with the right amp or used with a little EQ, it's bass balances out next to perfect in my opinion
Same here, I owned the TH900 and the Sony Z1R, although unlike your experience I didn't find the Z1R bass sloppy at all, I actually loved the Z1R. I sadly couldn't afford to keep the Z1R after a time due to leaving work to be at home with my daughter so I sold the Z1R and was able to pay a very nice friend slowly for a SEM5 he was selling literally as new. So my transition was from the Z1R to the Pioneer and yes, by way of comparison the bass on the SEM5 is certainly less foundational and prominent, but as you said, the quality is really good and very articulate. Again, as you said, if you want to pick the bass up it takes EQing nicely. I think the SEM5 is really under appreciated which is a shame. So well made as well. My only complaint is how difficult changing pads can be. That is a hassle and Pioneer should address that in the future with other models or versions.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #79 of 438
I also owned the TH900 and still own the Z1R. Lately I've found myself being more critical of bloated bass and leaks into mid-range. So while I still love how fun and engaging the Z1R can be, depending on the genre and source I typically prefer the SEM5 and they seem to put out enough low end when powered with 8 channel dacs. -- I've been trying to compare them to my Focal Elegias and even then the SEM5 seems to be more open and wide. The Elegias also respond pretty well to EQ especially on the low department where they have a small advantage over the Pioneers.

Totally agree on how difficult it is to replace the pads, I hope someone in Pioneer land is reading this and taking note.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #80 of 438
My apologies guys and to Sony as well. It was the MDR-Z7 I owned and not the MDR-Z1R, never had the opportunity to hear the Z1R. I'm sure it would be on an altogether different level compared to the Z7.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #82 of 438
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #83 of 438
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #84 of 438
I've had the se-monitor 5 for 1 week. I have compared them to my Focal elegia, focal clear, AKG K872, UE 18+pro (CIEM's), and my ultrasone signature pro.
Without getting into a full review, I'm selling the elegia and AKG K872 (the open back clear still have a place in my life). The se-monitor 5 is accurate and these are not bass shy as some note. The elegia is bass shy in comparison. The Ak872 have more bass heft but less control. And the elegia are way to forward in the mids in comparison to the se-monitor 5. Because of the "in your face" mids of the elegia they sound closed in in comparison to the se-monitor 5. Listening to eric clapton unplugged live I feel like i'm in the audience w him on stage. With the elegia it feels like he's literally standing in front of my face singing. The elegia were my favorite recent closed back but the se-monitor 5 now take the cake and they are much less clamping force so they are more comfortable. The icing is the 3 cables (elegia cable is horrible), and the interchangeable pads (leather are better and elegia use suede like which will get cruddy over time).
I got these for $480 on amazon (on sale for $699 and I had a $220 credit). The elegia cost me $750 (open box) plus i bought a new cable to replace crap stock cable. The se-monitor 5 at retail of $999 is worth it (i paid 999 for ultrasone which are not in the same league)
Source was all Hires and flac files from my chord mojo/hiby r3 stack (a match made in heaven)!

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #85 of 438
I've had the se-monitor 5 for 1 week. I have compared them to my Focal elegia, focal clear, AKG K872, UE 18+pro (CIEM's), and my ultrasone signature pro.
Without getting into a full review, I'm selling the elegia and AKG K872 (the open back clear still have a place in my life). The se-monitor 5 is accurate and these are not bass shy as some note. The elegia is bass shy in comparison. The Ak872 have more bass heft but less control. And the elegia are way to forward in the mids in comparison to the se-monitor 5. Because of the "in your face" mids of the elegia they sound closed in in comparison to the se-monitor 5. Listening to eric clapton unplugged live I feel like i'm in the audience w him on stage. With the elegia it feels like he's literally standing in front of my face singing. The elegia were my favorite recent closed back but the se-monitor 5 now take the cake and they are much less clamping force so they are more comfortable. The icing is the 3 cables (elegia cable is horrible), and the interchangeable pads (leather are better and elegia use suede like which will get cruddy over time).
I got these for $480 on amazon (on sale for $699 and I had a $220 credit). The elegia cost me $750 (open box) plus i bought a new cable to replace **** stock cable. The se-monitor 5 at retail of $999 is worth it (i paid 999 for ultrasone which are not in the same league)
Source was all Hires and flac files from my chord mojo/hiby r3 stack (a match made in heaven)!
Great deal and great source, have paired those myself many times! I like being subbed to this thread and occasionally reading about someone else who had discovered these gems for headphones. I love talking to like-minded friends about the SEM5 and how they compare to my other closed sets. I think I'm also going to sell my Elegias because they don't get as much action as I thought they would with the SEM5 around.

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #86 of 438
Great deal and great source, have paired those myself many times! I like being subbed to this thread and occasionally reading about someone else who had discovered these gems for headphones. I love talking to like-minded friends about the SEM5 and how they compare to my other closed sets. I think I'm also going to sell my Elegias because they don't get as much action as I thought they would with the SEM5 around.
I keep thinking that I'm going to wake up and stop liking the SEM5's! No one talks about them and every review is about the elegia, Ether C's Audeze, etc but the Pioneers keep drawing me back. So smooth. The sound is addicting and not fatiguing. I thought the elegia's were my final stop, but when I bought the SEM5 on a whim that all changed
Have you listened to the Master 1 open backs? Very expensive but if they are as underated as the SEM5 and can be gotten at a deep discount I might sell my Clears as I am even enjoying the SEM5's more than the Clears now.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #87 of 438
Just picked these up - basically new (hopefully) for 450 euro. Looking forward to hearing them. Only my 2nd pair of closed backs - after the Massdrop Fostex Purple heart - which somehow didn't really do it for me.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #88 of 438
Just picked these up - basically new (hopefully) for 450 euro. Looking forward to hearing them. Only my 2nd pair of closed backs - after the Massdrop Fostex Purple heart - which somehow didn't really do it for me.
World of difference between the SEM5s and the PH, mainly in the bass and presentation, you won't fund that muddy low end that overpowers in the SEM5 and although the PH are semi-open, I get more space/air/width from the SEM5s. -- I'd be interested to hear your impressions when you get them. You got a hell of a deal.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #89 of 438
World of difference between the SEM5s and the PH, mainly in the bass and presentation, you won't fund that muddy low end that overpowers in the SEM5 and although the PH are semi-open, I get more space/air/width from the SEM5s. -- I'd be interested to hear your impressions when you get them. You got a hell of a deal.
I don't know what it is with the purple heart, they are just never something I reach for. Maybe I'm too used to open backs?

Funnily enough there seem to have seen a few Monitor 5s that all came on ebay in Germany at roughly the same time. Maybe there was a deal on a local website. Saw a used pair go for 382 and a sealed box for 470 in December. There's another basically brand new pair up for auction now. Bought a 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR adapter straight away to try them via balanced on my Aune s6.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #90 of 438
Hi, I saw complaint on my local forum about the paint on used SEM5s starts to come off, due to "oxidizing" or things. Does that happens to any of your SEM5s? I hope it's just a defective unit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back