Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #46 of 438
Also, the phone will try to decide what to focus on, but you can force the focus area by tapping on what you want in focus.
Thanks, yes a friend showed me this recently. I use an LG G4 which actually has as far as phones go a pretty decent camera. I can't wait for the day when genuine modular designs allow for much improved optics to be added to phones. I would think that for even semi-pro work phones are starting to become a viable option. Not sure about where print is concerned mind you.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #47 of 438
Thanks, yes a friend showed me this recently. I use an LG G4 which actually has as far as phones go a pretty decent camera. I can't wait for the day when genuine modular designs allow for much improved optics to be added to phones. I would think that for even semi-pro work phones are starting to become a viable option. Not sure about where print is concerned mind you.

Also have a look at the app Open Camera:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_GB

It does a much better job at working out the white balance in auto than the stock camera app. As I have rooted my phone and use a custom ROM, the stock camera was playing up so I installed open camera, and don't think I'll ever go back, it's easy and intuitive to use.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #48 of 438
Also have a look at the app Open Camera:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_GB

It does a much better job at working out the white balance in auto than the stock camera app. As I have rooted my phone and use a custom ROM, the stock camera was playing up so I installed open camera, and don't think I'll ever go back, it's easy and intuitive to use.
Thanks, that is interesting although I'm not likely to take on rooting my phone. I know the majority of times it goes well, but I would hate to be in the minority that end up regretting it. I will likely go back to manual mode as I preferred the control over manual, I've just been lazy lately. Cheers.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #49 of 438
Thanks, that is interesting although I'm not likely to take on rooting my phone. I know the majority of times it goes well, but I would hate to be in the minority that end up regretting it. I will likely go back to manual mode as I preferred the control over manual, I've just been lazy lately. Cheers.

Don't worry about rooting, you don't need to for the App. It's a lot better than the stock camera though :)

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #50 of 438
Don't worry about rooting, you don't need to for the App. It's a lot better than the stock camera though :)
So, do you have experience with the LG G4 in manual mode? I'm just curious if your impression of the app being better are related to the camera app built into the G4. Thanks, appreciate this.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #51 of 438
So, do you have experience with the LG G4 in manual mode? I'm just curious if your impression of the app being better are related to the camera app built into the G4. Thanks, appreciate this.

I haven't actually, so sorry if I'm way out suggesting the other app. The app is free however and might be worth a try if you want to see if it's better.

Manual mode in phones is handy to a point, but can be really fiddly.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #52 of 438
I haven't actually, so sorry if I'm way out suggesting the other app. The app is free however and might be worth a try if you want to see if it's better.

Manual mode in phones is handy to a point, but can be really fiddly.
Not to worry, I will likely try it. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #53 of 438
Well, I got a chance to listen to these and the master1 at RMAF. Let's start with the master1.
'Nuff said. Move on and don't waste you money on it.

Now the monitor5 is a different story. First off, they isolated very well. Second, they sounded really good! Sure, it was show conditions, and I only spent a few minutes there, but if I were in the market for closed headphones, I would definitely consider the master5. I would prefer to A/B test them against my current favorite closed, the Ether C 1.1, and I'm betting the Monitor5 would come out on top or competitive.

I would like to see measurements and have some much more experienced reviewers comment, like @Tyll Hertsens , but I think pioneer may have gotten this one right.

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #54 of 438
Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Z1R's?
Curious if you had to hear your opinions of the Pioneer vs. Sony

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 438
Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Z1R's?
Curious if you had to hear your opinions of the Pioneer vs. Sony
Yes. the zr1 is very warm. The Se-m5 is much more balanced to me

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #56 of 438
Yes. the zr1 is very warm. The Se-m5 is much more balanced to me
I would in general agree, I owned the Z1R for a nice amount of time (really miss it) and I currently own the Monitor 5 and yes, Pioneer did get it right, very balanced and yet with a certain something that allows it to feel a little musical rather than flat. Both headphones are awesome, but as you intonated, coming at the signature from a different take on things. I wish I could afford to own both as the Z1R is really special I think.

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #57 of 438
Shame that this fine headphone seems to have a rather small number of owners in the community. Still very much enjoy them personally.

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #58 of 438
Shame that this fine headphone seems to have a rather small number of owners in the community. Still very much enjoy them personally.

Same issue with the open back SE Master 1 - best headphone I've owned (which numbers over 60 owned or auditioned now) and in the Master 1's case may be a price issue................

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #59 of 438
Same issue with the open back SE Master 1 - best headphone I've owned (which numbers over 60 owned or auditioned now) and in the Master 1's case may be a price issue................
Yes I suspect price has a great deal to do with the lack of love for the SE Master 1. As you know the SE-1 is also a very polarizing headphone (some seem to think it is a poorly executed signature, others simply love it). I can't imagine the SE-5 being as polarizing as it is, at least to my ears, a fairly neutral signature. I also believe that headphones are just not something consumers associate with Pioneer, certainly not at these price points, and as a result if people are going to drop that kind of money on a headphone they look elsewhere. Shame, I do suspect if more people tried the upper tier Pioneer offerings they might be surprised. I have never heard the SE-1 so I can't comment on it, but I do very much enjoy the Monitor 5.

Dec 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #60 of 438
It may take a little time for the word to get out due to Pioneer's late entry into the all ready saturated premium headphone market. I'm seriously considering trimming my collection down to three, Utopia, HD800S and the SE-5. That's how impressed I am with the SE-5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back