Pioneer SE-MONITOR5 - Pioneer's high-end closed-back
Jan 2, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #61 of 438
It may take a little time for the word to get out due to Pioneer's late entry into the all ready saturated premium headphone market. I'm seriously considering trimming my collection down to three, Utopia, HD800S and the SE-5. That's how impressed I am with the SE-5.
Nice, glad that I'm not alone around here being impressed by the SE-5 (Beagle also really likes it). I owned the HD800S not long ago and also loved it, wish I could have afforded to have kept it, but at the time the money was needed to fund a Sony Z1R (which I thought was fantastic). I haven't been able to hear a Utopia yet. I was in France for two weeks last year and I could not find one Focal dealer that had them on demo. Cheers.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 438
I have been getting more time recently to listen to music and I remain a huge fan of the Monitor-5. I encourage anybody who is looking for a really good closed headphone to give this an audition. There is a used one on canuckaudiomart.ca for a very good price ($750 Canadian).

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #63 of 438
Having trimmed my headphone collection down to just a few high end cans now, and despite being 100% content with the Z1R's, because I'm a curious idiot who is compulsive and too in to technology, I'm still also curious about these SE-5's and how they sound in relation to the Z1R's. They're priced fairly sensibly so that's good, and best all of they're closed, which is a big deal to me at the moment.

Any comprehensive impressions, reviews or frequency response charts yet?

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #64 of 438
Having trimmed my headphone collection down to just a few high end cans now, and despite being 100% content with the Z1R's, because I'm a curious idiot who is compulsive and too in to technology, I'm still also curious about these SE-5's and how they sound in relation to the Z1R's. They're priced fairly sensibly so that's good, and best all of they're closed, which is a big deal to me at the moment.

Sadly no, these just don't seem to be getting the exposure they should. They differ significantly from the Z1R which as you probably know I also owned and loved. The Z1R is deeper, more obviously musical sounding headphone where while detail retrieval is excellent, in the treble region, one could argue there is a slight attenuation. With the Pioneer, the opposite is true, the treble is not at all dialed back, but it is of such good quality that while prominent it is never harsh or strident to my ears. My friend who owned the Monitor-5 just before me and sold me one of his two (yes he had purchased two) has a great deal of experience and he felt, and I concur, that the Monitor-5 is fairly neutral. That isn't to say that it lacks character or musicality, it simply tends to be very balanced and coherent sounding. In contrast, the Z1R is clearly a deliberate and wonderful sound signature tailored to present music not in a neutral sense, but rather a powerful and compossed way where the lower frequencies really define how everything is perceived. I still think the Z1R is my favourite headphone to date, but I love the Monitor-5 and feel that in some ways it is what the HD800S might sound like if it was designed as a closed headphone, and I did own the HD800S for a time.

Anyway, if you do decide to try the Monitor-5 expect like any headphone that it will take a little time to acclimate to. I'm extremely glad that I took the time to get to know it and to accept that while it is different than the Z1R, significantly so, it is frankly no less enjoyable. One album in particular that I find stunning through the Monitor-5 as of late is Depeche Mode, Delta Machine. Cheers.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #65 of 438

I may not be the best one to take advice from seeing I tend to be a little biased when it comes to bass tilted headphones, but I did own the Z1 (not the Z1R) for awhile. Unlike the Z1, the SE-5 is very balanced, detailed and smooth across the entire spectrum, it's really good in that aspect. I'm sure the Z1R is on a different level compared to the Z1 so your personal preference will be the determining factor whether or not you favor Pioneer over the Sony.

Crutchfield has some pretty good deals on the SE-5 right now. Open Box, $849.99/Scratch and Dent, $807.40.They also have a 60 day return period.

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #66 of 438
I may not be the best one to take advice from seeing I tend to be a little biased when it comes to bass tilted headphones, but I did own the Z1 (not the Z1R) for awhile. Unlike the Z1, the SE-5 is very balanced, detailed and smooth across the entire spectrum, it's really good in that aspect. I'm sure the Z1R is on a different level compared to the Z1 so your personal preference will be the determining factor whether or not you favor Pioneer over the Sony.

Crutchfield has some pretty good deals on the SE-5 right now. Open Box, $849.99/Scratch and Dent, $807.40.They also have a 60 day return period.

Does the 60 day return period still allow for the return of used items? And is there a re-stocking fee of any kind?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #67 of 438
Does the 60 day return period still allow for the return of used items? And is there a re-stocking fee of any kind?

Thanks.
Sorry, I'm just a long time satisfied customer. It may be best to call them at 1-844-230-1853 and get all the information straight from the horse's mouth. I know they do not charge a re-stocking fee on items returned in like new condition but that's about it.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #68 of 438
I have been getting more time recently to listen to music and I remain a huge fan of the Monitor-5. I encourage anybody who is looking for a really good closed headphone to give this an audition. There is a used one on canuckaudiomart.ca for a very good price ($750 Canadian).
I'm a very happy new customer of a nice set of used Monitor-5, very impressed with this unit so far. It is detailed enough, lows' mids. & highs, I am re-learning some of my favourite music. A real "ear opener" to step up into this set & a highly recommended listen to, to those on the fence to give them a try.

Feb 27, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #69 of 438
Just picked up one of these in my search for a neutral closed-back headphone. Amazon had a very good price, plus I had some Amazon cash-back to burn.

Thus far, they are pretty much as described. Good construction. A bit heavy, but not bothersome due to good padding and design.

Bass is a tad light on quantity, but the quality is there. Mids are good. Treble is a little emphasized, but never shrill/sibilant, definitely not as bright as in Beyerdynamics (e.g., DT1990, which is even supposed to be one of the Beyers with the most tame treble). Detail retrieval is very good. I'm using the velour pads for now. Driving it out of a Schiit Jotunheim (DAC and amp).

The Pioneer SEM-5 is a really interesting headphone and it's too bad it doesn't get more exposure. Some very mixed reviews on various forums, although most web published reviews seem positive. Ether C Flow is on the way, so we'll see how the Pioneers compare. Ether C Flow seems to have very mixed reviews with some people claiming they are deeply flawed, and others saying they are the undisputed end-game closed headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #70 of 438
Just picked up one of these in my search for a neutral closed-back headphone. Amazon had a very good price, plus I had some Amazon cash-back to burn.

Thus far, they are pretty much as described. Good construction. A bit heavy, but not bothersome due to good padding and design.

Bass is a tad light on quantity, but the quality is there. Mids are good. Treble is a little emphasized, but never shrill/sibilant, definitely not as bright as in Beyerdynamics (e.g., DT1990, which is even supposed to be one of the Beyers with the most tame treble). Detail retrieval is very good. I'm using the velour pads for now. Driving it out of a Schiit Jotunheim (DAC and amp).

The Pioneer SEM-5 is a really interesting headphone and it's too bad it doesn't get more exposure. Some very mixed reviews on various forums, although most web published reviews seem positive. Ether C Flow is on the way, so we'll see how the Pioneers compare. Ether C Flow seems to have very mixed reviews with some people claiming they are deeply flawed, and others saying they are the undisputed end-game closed headphone.
Glad to hear that you are rolling with the SEM5. It will likely grow on you. I agree that the bass is a tad lighter than ideal, but as it seems you suggested, I also find that the speed and quality of the bass makes up for it. I haven't tried increasing the bass via EQ, perhaps I will try a very gentle boost and see how that goes. Cheers.

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #71 of 438
It's nice seeing some new SEM-5 owners coming on board.

Last night I finally got around to comparing the SEM-5 and PM-2 for the first time with the Yggy /V280. My opinion, the SEM-5 beats the PM-2 on all fronts with the exception of bass quantity, that's it. Both definitely scale up with better equipment, SEM-5 more so than PM-2. Not sure why I'm talking about the Yggy/V280, the SEM-5 sounds great regardless of the source.

Looks like the PM-2 will be my first and last planar.

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #72 of 438
I agree that the bass is a tad lighter than ideal, but as it seems you suggested, I also find that the speed and quality of the bass makes up for it. I haven't tried increasing the bass via EQ, perhaps I will try a very gentle boost and see how that goes. Cheers.

I just started experimenting with EQ-ing in a little boost to the bass. I'm not generally a fan of having to EQ, but in this case, it seems to be working well.

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #73 of 438
I just started experimenting with EQ-ing in a little boost to the bass. I'm not generally a fan of having to EQ, but in this case, it seems to be working well.
I'm the same way, I avoid the EQ, but if I do use it, I take a very minimalist approach and do the very least adjusting possible. Sometimes I will use a gentle cut in one frequency to boost the balance of another frequency that I was finding needed more emphasis. Even unadjusted, and I have owned the Z1R, Z7, D7000, TH900, TH600 and LCD 2F, I do find the SEM5 to have adequate and satisfying bass, nonetheless, so it isn't for me a major issue anyway and why despite having owned the Pioneer for close to a year I think, I haven't yet done any bass boosting.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #74 of 438
I tested them for 20min using my Xperia XZ Premium and was very impressed with the lvl of detail and consistency it had even without the requirement of amp. It also packs punch while maintaining depth of bass unlike SONY 7520 which shows depth in bass but lacks bit of punch. It was perfect for my requirements but sadly was out of my budget. Unable to find anything as detailed and clear headphones besides SONY 7520 around my budget of $600. I highly recommend this headphones for who can afford it.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #75 of 438
I've owned the sem5 for a few months now and I can't get enough of them...

Does anyone else feel like these headphones are skating under the radar? At our local meet the majority of people who tried them said they never knew they existed and most neutral fans said these were the best closed pair they've heard. I'm not surprised but I am surprised that these beautiful headphones are going unnoticed in our community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back