Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Dec 3, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,036 of 1,082
I've not read all of that thread, just in a right mood after 40 pages.

I bough a1000 yesterday for 100eur from a shop before knowing anything about them. I was after dt990 or something similar but heck, no shops here have anything in that range to try and buy:frowning2:. 200ish blind purchase is not acceptable for my wallet so I'm just happy to spend 1/2 of that and still be satisfied:)

To put it short, they are good for 100 euros.

Not better than grado 325i (I own those and they are not comparable. too different to even begin waging) - just soundstage and instrument separation is better with a1000. They have one thing in common - they both try to kill your ears when listening to rock a wee bit too loud.

Imo a1000s are damn picky. Some stuff just sounds bad with them. Dunno why, even good quality tracks. I guess some  mixing/mastering "ways" could make it cough blood. And yet some (most live recordings) sound really really sweet. Some sound damn "big" even.

The reason I went back to the shop and bought them was how the double bass sounded on one test track... and a few other reasons too of course. Kinda reminded Grado RS2's impression from way back. Not as great as that but.. for 100eur, enough for me:) I use a portable amp (don't remember the brand - the cover doesn't say anything) with a bass boost button. I keep it off for now, it is a tad weak sometimes but mostly its ok. Could be better but still, ok. Can't really complain.

Mid's are very nice. Upper ones, some <800Hz or so, can be annyoing perhaps. But that happens only when listening too loud anyways.

Highs are not as sparkly as the higher end phones usually have.

Soundstage. I needed phones with a good soundstage and yep, they are able to create space. Not always --- again, dunno why, but some stuff just hits directly my face. um.. dubstep, some rock. Studio stuff usually it seems.

Imaging & instrument separation is quite fine. I guess that's one reason why some people like tend to like those phones.. and probably that's why one of them created this hype thread:p. Also its effortless to follow and listen any instruments on the track.

--------

Well, these cans deserve a bit of hype but people can step into a trap when buying them blindly. Depends what they are listening for sure. I'm happy. No hype here. Just got what I was really after for much less money that I was willing to spend.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,037 of 1,082
If you want more sparkly tear off the first layer of felt over the driver.  I prefer this sound greatly.  These are far from the final word on resolution, but have a very nice soundstage and generally pleasant.

IBJamon

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,038 of 1,082
I still use these for Movies/TV Shows. Just a great phone period for the price. I recommend these often. The Dialogue sounds amazing on these. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #1,039 of 1,082
  If you want more sparkly tear off the first layer of felt over the driver.  I prefer this sound greatly.  These are far from the final word on resolution, but have a very nice soundstage and generally pleasant.

IBJamon

IBJamon Just tried and darn it's even better and clearer dialogue. Hat off to you. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #1,040 of 1,082
As someone who has never owned headphones due to the desirability of portable IEMs, my pair broke almost a year ago and I've been without portable audio for a long time. I've recently been searching for a replacement pair of IEMs but after more consideration, I am also willing to get headphones since they are likely to last longer and I've already survived a year without earphones. I originally considered getting the RE-400s since they had a pretty similar sound to my RE-262s that broke, but I'm just wondering how the pioneers sound in comparison to these pretty balanced IEMs. I have been spoiled by the musicality and mids of the RE-262s and if the pioneers don't offer a similar sound signature, I would also like to know if there are any other possibilities below $150.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,042 of 1,082
They are great for anything, but not portable. I would go with these for portable: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Noise-Isolating-Earphone-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000WAHFBK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449676609&sr=1-6&keywords=klipsch+earbuds

With these tips they sound even better: http://www.amazon.com/Pair-Size-Medium-Black-Green/dp/B006CRVZB8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449676790&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+hybrid+tips

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,044 of 1,082
Just an update cuz now i've spent a lot of time with them. I want better ones one day for sure BUT...:)  I've used them to listen ambient music to help me fall asleep. Many, many times. Meaning they get serious abuse over time. I've worn them while sleeping actually.  Nevertheless they still look new. There is 2 very tiny scratches and the fabric now looks a bit "shiny" like when you don't wash your jeans for a bit too long. Other than that, the wires haven't bent, the text hasn't worn off at all and looks as it was in the shop, the black paint on the grille looks new. Oh, there are a little worn off spot on the left side. It's pretty amazing really. Amazing, because all my other phones crack and bend and scratch without such mistreatment. Extremely durable phones. I just like the fact that they still can make things that way.. sometimes..:)

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,045 of 1,082
  Just an update cuz now i've spent a lot of time with them. I want better ones one day for sure BUT...:)  I've used them to listen ambient music to help me fall asleep. Many, many times. Meaning they get serious abuse over time. I've worn them while sleeping actually.  Nevertheless they still look new. There is 2 very tiny scratches and the fabric now looks a bit "shiny" like when you don't wash your jeans for a bit too long. Other than that, the wires haven't bent, the text hasn't worn off at all and looks as it was in the shop, the black paint on the grille looks new. Oh, there are a little worn off spot on the left side. It's pretty amazing really. Amazing, because all my other phones crack and bend and scratch without such mistreatment. Extremely durable phones. I just like the fact that they still can make things that way.. sometimes..:)

That's because they were designed to be priced 150usd as top of the line home theater headphones.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,046 of 1,082
I just ordered a par of these Pioneers and I'm very excited to try them out!! I own the Sony MDR-7506 with Beyerdynamic earpads and the Samson SR850 and was looking for a more relaxing pair of headphones with decent resolution. Will these do the trick?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,047 of 1,082
So I got this headphone and, as expected, the pads are very shallow, basically unusable. The problem is even Beyer pads have a short inside diameter for me. The size of the hole is even smaller on the HM5 pads, which is the other popular recommendation for this headphone. The thing is the stock pads would be perfect if they were deep enough. 

Anybody head of larger pads, deeper, with big enough inside diameter? 

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,048 of 1,082
I just received mine & they sound fantastic. They have a pronounced low end, but without sacrificing detail.

I have a pair of SHP9500S & wanted to check if these would replace them. The sound signature is different enough that I will keep both. It has more of the low end & that makes it more enjoyable for movies, hip hop & other applications where a more significant low end is appreciated.

I have a big head & can definitely relate to the much-discussed issue of the headband. I will probably do the mod of cutting the ribbon to increase the clamp a little bit.

If you need a set of cans under $100, get these or the SHP9500S. They are around $60-$70 & the value is outstanding.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,049 of 1,082
  I just received mine & they sound fantastic. They have a pronounced low end, but without sacrificing detail.

I have a pair of SHP9500S & wanted to check if these would replace them. The sound signature is different enough that I will keep both. It has more of the low end & that makes it more enjoyable for movies, hip hop & other applications where a more significant low end is appreciated.

I have a big head & can definitely relate to the much-discussed issue of the headband. I will probably do the mod of cutting the ribbon to increase the clamp a little bit.

If you need a set of cans under $100, get these or the SHP9500S. They are around $60-$70 & the value is outstanding.

I heard about these when the 9500 buzz was created by Z aka Fred Durst. And I was curious about them, but moved onto other things.

I did kinda like the weird look of them.

Reminds me of old scuba gear from eons ago

Why did you say 9500S. Whats the S for?

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #1,050 of 1,082
  So I got this headphone and, as expected, the pads are very shallow, basically unusable. The problem is even Beyer pads have a short inside diameter for me. The size of the hole is even smaller on the HM5 pads, which is the other popular recommendation for this headphone. The thing is the stock pads would be perfect if they were deep enough. 

Anybody head of larger pads, deeper, with big enough inside diameter? 

None of the usual companies makes earpads as large as what this Pioneer has.  Not Beyer, Senn, ATH, AKG, or the Chinese sellers on eBay.  Modifying these pads is pretty much the only way to go.  I've yet to get around to that myself.  I, too, wish the pads were much, much deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back