Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Jul 24, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #1,022 of 1,082
  If they cost the same price, what would you choose between Pioneer SE-A1000 and Sennheiser HD650 ???

If same price means 45 dollars, pick both.
If same price means 300-400 dollars, pick HD650 unless you hate its darkish presentation
(You'll find other good contenders under 400 dollars)

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,025 of 1,082
It's great seeing the fervor for these cans surge again.

They are great for the 60 bucks I got them for. Bright and clear and versatile, just how I like.

I loaned my pair to my dad, since he doesn't mind looking like a dork at work.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,027 of 1,082
I'd take the Pioneers anytime, but Senn are great too. If you can buy the Pioneers and try the Senns in the store and see if there is a big difference to your EARS.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,028 of 1,082
K I just ripped off the felt covers to find another foam cover underneath lol. Left then foams on.

Now It seems that slight roll off in the treble has opened up immensely, might even be too bright/harsh now so i have to find a thinner substitute

I did that recently and it was too harsh and fatiguing, too many sharp peaks throughout the audio band.  I tried adding more dynamat to the backside of the baffle than I already had and that solved the issue entirely.  I think Pioneer really did do a good job with the drivers after all, but the housing needs to be dampened against vibration or made of that magnesium stuff like with ATH-AD2000, AD900, etc.
Alternatively, they should have used wood.  The cloth covers tame the sound, sure, but kill fidelity as a result.

These modifications are a big departure from the stock sound, however.  The sound will become much more clear and analytical as well as a bit thinner, more akin to K601.  The overall sound quality should be right on HD558's heels, I estimate from memory.  I sold off HD558 before even acquiring the Pioneer, so I cannot compare.
Also, the little "joints" at the ends of the headband rods are hollow, and when I tried loading them with Dynamat, the soundstage became noticeably larger and bass became more controlled.  You can see those "joints/cups" sticking out in this tekerugburn pic.  Removing the first layer of cloth plus dynamat loading results in a bigger, more 3D soundstage, very nice.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,029 of 1,082

I did that recently and it was too harsh and fatiguing, too many sharp peaks throughout the audio band.  I tried adding more dynamat to the backside of the baffle than I already had and that solved the issue entirely.  I think Pioneer really did do a good job with the drivers after all, but the housing needs to be dampened against vibration or made of that magnesium stuff like with ATH-AD2000, AD900, etc.
Alternatively, they should have used wood.  The cloth covers tame the sound, sure, but kill fidelity as a result.

These modifications are a big departure from the stock sound, however.  The sound will become much more clear and analytical as well as a bit thinner, more akin to K601.  The overall sound quality should be right on HD558's heels, I estimate from memory.  I sold off HD558 before even acquiring the Pioneer, so I cannot compare.
Also, the little "joints" at the ends of the headband rods are hollow, and when I tried loading them with Dynamat, the soundstage became noticeably larger and bass became more controlled.  You can see those "joints/cups" sticking out in this tekerugburn pic.  Removing the first layer of cloth plus dynamat loading results in a bigger, more 3D soundstage, very nice.

Thanks nice to know. Were you able to get a tight fit?

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,030 of 1,082
Jul 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,031 of 1,082
Jul 26, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #1,032 of 1,082
  I mean the headphones to be a bit tighter on ears.

I made no modifications to the fit.  You can try bending the headphone's headband for a tighter fit.  Alternatively, Brainwavz HM5 pads can probably be stretched to fit the headphone cups - if it can be done to K553, it will work with the A1000.  I was thinking of trying these pads later: http://www.ebay.com/itm/105-mm-x-105mm-Replacement-Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Headphones-Headset-/261954621742
They might improve sound, and fit and comfort may be better for folks with smaller heads.  I have a moderately large head so the light clamping pressure is acceptable for me with stock pads and unbent headband.

Edit: and when I say bend it, that means bend it like you hate it.

The headband is made of metal, thus no harm done.  Bend it as above once then bend it again but with the left cup in front of the right cup instead, and the fit should become a little tighter.  Just a little.  That's all you're going to get.

I've done this to my ATH-A2000X, K545, K553, ATH-ES88, Beyerdynamic T50p, DT770, and more, so long as the headphone's headband in question is plastic/cloth-covered metal.  A headphone with a plastic headband will either not change permanently or simply break altogether by doing this.  Full-sized Shures will probably break, for example, and HD25-1 will eventually return to its normal clamp pressure after bending.  The closed-back AKGs can't quite be bent that far due to how wide the headband is, so some headphones may be a little harder to adjust.
In T50p's, A2000X's, and ES88's cases, getting a tighter fit improved sound quality and ambient isolation, so this can also be a way to improve the sound a bit depending on the headphone.

Edit2: such a very balanced sound, only a single mid-treble peak.  No bass below 30Hz, though.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,033 of 1,082
Thanks. Man they really twist nicely. Not sure If I'd try it on mine. My luck they will break. They do fit ok(Fat head here), but wished it was more snugley. If they ever go down to $20 bucks I'd get a second pair to play with. You should check out the JBL 500's I love them too: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696413/jbl-synchros-s700-why-no-talk

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #1,034 of 1,082
I love these cans through the ifi micro idsd
I think it's a much cheaper version of the ath-r70x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back