Pioneer SE-A1000 (Sennheiser HD 650 for $45?)
Apr 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #871 of 1,082
Based on this thread, I bought a pair of SE-A1000s.   For $50, not much to lose.  They are as praised here - outstanding value for the money.  I like them better than my NuForce 800s and Fidelio X-1s, both costing more.   The NuForce cans have an overpoweringly odd low end which at times sounds boomy to me, and the Fidelios, while great fun for some music and very comfortable, are not really accurate with their U-shaped FR.  Don't like the Pioneers as much as my ZMF 50RPs or Koss 950s, but those are quite a bit pricier, as well as more demanding to use.  Best part of the Pioneers may be that in addition to sounding very natural, they are SO easy to drive. Not nearly as picky as some of the others abovementioned.  Awaiting delivery of Oppo PM-1s next week - another tasty morsel, I expect. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #872 of 1,082
  Based on this thread, I bought a pair of SE-A1000s.   For $50, not much to lose.  They are as praised here - outstanding value for the money.  I like them better than my NuForce 800s and Fidelio X-1s, both costing more.   The NuForce cans have an overpoweringly odd low end which at times sounds boomy to me, and the Fidelios, while great fun for some music and very comfortable, are not really accurate with their U-shaped FR.  Don't like the Pioneers as much as my ZMF 50RPs or Koss 950s, but those are quite a bit pricier, as well as more demanding to use.  Best part of the Pioneers may be that in addition to sounding very natural, they are SO easy to drive. Not nearly as picky as some of the others abovementioned.  Awaiting delivery of Oppo PM-1s next week - another tasty morsel, I expect. 

Nice to hear you like your Pioneers!

Could you make a short comparison between Pioneer Se-A1000 and Fidelio X1 in terms of sound? It would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #873 of 1,082
The Fidelios are excellent in their own right  - and quite comfortable...but the bass level is raised a bit.  The same with the  treble - though I think to a lesser extent. They are quite fast and responsive, and definitely a "fun" and easy -to-listen-to product.  But they aren't accurate.  Bassheads will probably take to them more; although they aren't monster shakers, the bass is prominent.  Midrange is very natural with excellent voice intelligibility (is that a word?)

The Pioneers are less exciting to me, but much more natural.  The bass is perhaps a bit light, but changing out ear pads may make a difference there (I have some different pads on order, but can't say for sure until I receive and play with them.)  Mids are again very natural and highs are there without being tizzy or sibilant.  Maybe a bit of drop-off at both frequency extremes, but more pronounced in the lows.

Both are comfortable, but as many here have posted, the Pioneers tend to be somewhat loose.  I haven't gotten around to modding my headband strap yet.   Listening last evening, I was eventually struck by how effortless the Pioneers are. No, they aren't as fast or as detailed as good planars or electrostatics (or the very best dynamics,) but overall they are so "right" and easy. I think they do look a bit geeky, but that's headphones for you.  I like them so much that I may order a couple more to use a gifts.  (I have a young family friend who is enamored of Beats - without ever hearing anything else of course - maybe a dose of sonic reality is in order.) It's the overall quality combined with the very low price of the Pioneers is what makes them no-brainers.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #874 of 1,082
Based on this thread, I picked up a pair of these v2-weeks ago.  With about 40-hours on them, they're doing great.  The outer layer of foam was removed and the head-strap was shortened (mods per this thread) and I couldn't be happier considering the price.

Are there better models out there?  Sure, but they're the overall best value for the money that I've heard - and they sound great with my Bravo V3 (fan-cooled & EQ bypassed). 

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #875 of 1,082
So whats the best deal on these right now? Pretty curious.

Found this, anywhere cheaper? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66512_Pioneer-SE-A1000.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp3820479&gclid=COro7oa0-L0CFa47OgodPwIAXw

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #876 of 1,082
  So whats the best deal on these right now? Pretty curious.

Found this, anywhere cheaper? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66512_Pioneer-SE-A1000.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp3820479&gclid=COro7oa0-L0CFa47OgodPwIAXw

Here: (same price but with free shipping)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SE-A1000-SEA1000-Professional-DJ-Style-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black-/291117613690?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item43c7f6427a

May 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #878 of 1,082
Just got these a couple days ago. I really didn't think I would like them more than my sr60s, but I do. I can't wait until they get some burn in.

Give 'em 50-60 hours to burn in then report back with your findings.  I think you'll like them even more.

May 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #880 of 1,082
smile.gif
  Nice to see that this thread is still active.

May 16, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #882 of 1,082
Not for me.

May 19, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #884 of 1,082
Finally, the end-game, fully-modded SE-A1000.  Take that HD650!!!

141501_Blog_WhenHeadphonesGetSmart_Photo_Main.jpg

image from Innerfidelity (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/when-headphones-get-smart)

May 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #885 of 1,082
Was listening to them on a netflix movie via my AVR and they did a great job, so darn good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back